misloads

LKLND3380

Nobody is perfect. If you find a misload, deliver it, or bring it back to the building, you get paid to do that, it's your job.

5 to 10 is awfully excessive, I rarely had 1 a day between three trucks, but then again I am an over achiever.

5 to 10 sounds like a split - add/cut that was not pulled

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
When the belt is being blown out, you must get in and out of your cars faster... IF you are loading 8A - the 3A, 6A and 9A PALs look very similar when you glance fast. Once in the package car (with your optimum carry) your focus is on what shelf and where on the shelf it goes - NOT car number...
It's funny that UPS INSTRUCTS DRIVERS TO "6 side" all the pieces we pick up to insure there are no double labels. Then we send them to their destination and give them a double label! I am a driver now, but when I was a preolader, I thought loading was the toughest job. Now the PAS system has made it tougher.

It's funny that UPS INSTRUCTS DRIVERS TO "6 side" all the pieces we pick up to insure there are no double labels. Then we send them to their destination and give them a double label! I am a driver now, but when I was a preolader, I thought loading was the toughest job. Now the PAS system has made it tougher.

Much easier to load cars with pas. Anyone could load your car right away. Before pas it was much more difficult to look up addresses on those alpha charts.

dunderchief

Seems like it's always a zero sum game at UPS...PAS makes the job easier in one regard but more difficult in another. I would encourage all package car drivers to stay in contact with their preloader. It is rarely the case, no matter what the preloader may say, that a preloader really "doesn't care." Most preloaders do want to put up a good load for their drivers but often are not given the time or training to do so.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've never worked on preload as a loader so I don't really have any experience for a basis of comparison. However, I do understand that we are all human and are going to make mistakes. Especially in an environment where everyone is in a rush. Drivers may ask "how hard is it to load the right packages in the right trucks?" My response is that it's just as easy to load a package in the wrong truck as it is to load it in the right truck. It doesn't matter what the address says, or PAL label for you PAS people, because once a loader feels fatigued it is easy to grab a package, read it, know where it goes, but then turn around and walk into the wrong truck. I've been in my truck before loading my air while the loader was adding stops from a cut car and actually witnessed this happen. The sups were all yelling for him to hurry up and he slipped up and loaded 10 of the stops into the truck next to mine. Misloads are just part of the nature of the business. Yes, sometimes people are just being lazy but many times they are fatigued. My biggest issue with misloads is NDAs. Part of the reason they are loaded in the load is because of what I just mentioned. Another reason is the labeling. I think that all NDAs should require the red stickers. It seems like every NDA I've ever found in the load had a standard black and white label with no red NDA stickers. People should at least circle the "1" on the label.

hdkappler

with preload,in the old center they trained them 30 min.then have them load three trucks.they are heavy routes.some of the loaders were thinking about refusing to load 3 trucks.it would be better to ask the steward first.

hdkappler

i can remember driving one loader i had was bad.i said i wish they would dump preload and have a driver sort.then you could find things.just keep a few to unload trailers.even put more routes on.

H

huskervi26

Someone already posted this explanation but Im going to do it again anyhow.

MISLOADS well Im almost perfect, I give my drivers great loads every day no misloads. The load is the way they want it.

No compensation for this though. Management does not give a crap. Another reason, some preloaders could care less is because well, dumb-ss sorters. The people who sort our crap could careless about the preloaders, misloads in bins over 70s label facing down. And well management could care less. A sorters job is very easy read a label, sort it where its suppose to go. They cant figure it out. The only compensation I get for no misloads/godd quality loads is a thankx from my drivers when they come in in the morning. Management well too them Im just an employee who is not getting them chewed out.

LKLND3380

Seems like it's always a zero sum game at UPS...PAS makes the job easier in one regard but more difficult in another. I would encourage all package car drivers to stay in contact with their preloader. It is rarely the case, no matter what the preloader may say, that a preloader really "doesn't care." Most preloaders do want to put up a good load for their drivers but often are not given the time or training to do so.

The best cars I have loaded are ones where I talked with the drivers and THEY TOLD ME where they wanted packages... The package cars were custom loaded BUT they knew their routes and they found the packages... If it made their job easier and it was simple, why not?

LKLND3380

I've never worked on preload as a loader so I don't really have any experience for a basis of comparison. However, I do understand that we are all human and are going to make mistakes. Especially in an environment where everyone is in a rush. Drivers may ask "how hard is it to load the right packages in the right trucks?" My response is that it's just as easy to load a package in the wrong truck as it is to load it in the right truck. It doesn't matter what the address says, or PAL label for you PAS people, because once a loader feels fatigued it is easy to grab a package, read it, know where it goes, but then turn around and walk into the wrong truck. I've been in my truck before loading my air while the loader was adding stops from a cut car and actually witnessed this happen. The sups were all yelling for him to hurry up and he slipped up and loaded 10 of the stops into the truck next to mine. Misloads are just part of the nature of the business. Yes, sometimes people are just being lazy but many times they are fatigued. My biggest issue with misloads is NDAs. Part of the reason they are loaded in the load is because of what I just mentioned. Another reason is the labeling. I think that all NDAs should require the red stickers. It seems like every NDA I've ever found in the load had a standard black and white label with no red NDA stickers. People should at least circle the "1" on the label.

I have seen a couple NDAs with PAL labels (XC-3799) that placed them "in the load..." So I worked as directed and loaded them there...

lost

Yes, there is a misload problem and it starts with mgmt not holding the employee accountable, however a part time sup can only go so far on holding the loaders accountable if you have a loader that misloads everyday and we as pt/sups do everything we can, then we need the back up of our full time mgmt. Yes sup misload too I don't doubt that a bit, We are all human I am sure you make mistakes too.