Most Pkgs Ever On My Route

bbsam

Staff member
So the pay thing... Why aren't your drivers making 80 grand a year with benefits? I noticed the other day that the inside of a FedEx Ground truck looks quite similar to the inside of a UPS truck. Weird.. Ground's pay calculator must be broken.

Because there is no union to force such a scale whiich is exactly why UPS drivers make as much as they do. You don't think Atlanta pays that money because the are so in love with their labor force, do you?

vantexan

Yeah, just like the employee of any other franchisee.

He's not the enabler. The enablers are the people who are willing to sacrifice service for a low price and the people who are willing to provide it for a low price.

The wind was blowing. Don't blame the sailor for building a sail, putting it on his boat, and finding a way to make a buck off of it.

Baloney. The Acme Galley Slave Shipping Company of Memphis, Egypt whipped it's oar rowers over to the harbor where it was told by the harbor master that the big boat towing the string of freight boats was no longer acceptable to the oversight agency in Rome. From now on each little boat needed a captain over it's own galley slave oar rowers. Desperate, the captain of the big boat called out to a bunch of wine swilling knaves on the dock "Any of you knaves know how to follow directions? If so and you are willing to invest a little time and some risk by swimming out to our little boats, you will be kept in wine and women at every port we enter". And thus it was so, yea verily, that each little boat had it's own captain, who listened closely to the beating of the drum and the crack of the whips as the oar rowers of the big boat were pushed to exceed their per hour oar strokes, and likewise did the same to their own galley slaves. And the big boat captain realized that since they no longer had to tow all the boats, not to mention had to keep all the new "captains" in wine and women, that they no longer had to feed so many galley slaves. So the whip crackers were sent to unchain every third slave, promising them all is well, then heaving them overboard before they realized what was happening. And the remaining slaves were fearful, knowing they had to row harder with less rowers, or be thrown overboard to certain ruin. And the captains and the whip crackers danced with glee! Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

bbsam

Staff member
Baloney. The Acme Galley Slave Shipping Company of Memphis, Egypt whipped it's oar rowers over to the harbor where it was told by the harbor master that the big boat towing the string of freight boats was no longer acceptable to the oversight agency in Rome. From now on each little boat needed a captain over it's own galley slave oar rowers. Desperate, the captain of the big boat called out to a bunch of wine swilling knaves on the dock "Any of you knaves know how to follow directions? If so and you are willing to invest a little time and some risk by swimming out to our little boats, you will be kept in wine and women at every port we enter". And thus it was so, yea verily, that each little boat had it's own captain, who listened closely to the beating of the drum and the crack of the whips as the oar rowers of the big boat were pushed to exceed their per hour oar strokes, and likewise did the same to their own galley slaves. And the big boat captain realized that since they no longer had to tow all the boats, not to mention had to keep all the new "captains" in wine and women, that they no longer had to feed so many galley slaves. So the whip crackers were sent to unchain every third slave, promising them all is well, then heaving them overboard before they realized what was happening. And the remaining slaves were fearful, knowing they had to row harder with less rowers, or be thrown overboard to certain ruin. And the captains and the whip crackers danced with glee! Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.
I see that you do understand capitalism. Good. Back to rowing.:)

Glorifiedpackmule

Because there is no union to force such a scale whiich is exactly why UPS drivers make as much as they do. You don't think Atlanta pays that money because the are so in love with their labor force, do you?

Boy...Ground sounds like a dream job! No pay, no benefits... Sign me up.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
gotta be kidding me...Ground isn't going to be running on Monday the 24th of December?.....Are you SERIOUS? ....oh, you guys are so good you'll have it all delv'd by then right?

bbsam

Staff member
gotta be kidding me...Ground isn't going to be running on Monday the 24th of December?.....Are you SERIOUS? ....oh, you guys are so good you'll have it all delv'd by then right?

Kind of. By then most Xmas shipping is done. That which is in the Ground system that is residential can easily be moved to HD. No sense in sending the whole Ground fleet out when HD can run it.

MaineGroundDriver

Kind of. By then most Xmas shipping is done. That which is in the Ground system that is residential can easily be moved to HD. No sense in sending the whole Ground fleet out when HD can run it.

HD is PART of Ground up where I am .. but as long as we have everything delivered Saturday prior to, we don't go out Monday this year .. very nice .. last year I was out on December 23rd in a near blizzard using my scanner as a flashlight saving another driver's ass and making sure everything got delivered so all the kiddos got their presents .. better not happen this year!!

STFXG

My family comes first on Christmas Eve. It's 8 hours and if I have more than I can do in that time frame then they come back as DNAs. Order earlier or tough :censored2:!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Watch this change over the next year or two. When you get E2 from Express, you'll be out there until 10pm on Xmas Eve like some of us are. Or for the truly pathetic and purple...Xmas Day.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
My family comes first on Christmas Eve. It's 8 hours and if I have more than I can do in that time frame then they come back as DNAs. Order earlier or tough :censored2:!

That's the FedEx spirit, Steve. Screw them if you get heavy during one part of the year and didn't put enough guys on the road to make it happen.
All those people are dead wrong for not ordering their stuff on time. Screw them, it's their own fault.

STFXG

Exactly! One of the few upsides to be a contractor. We only need to hit a certain service goal. It's based on a percentage of our volume. So you do good and save those service failures for when you want to get home early or you just want to start your weekend early... These goals are not difficult to hit.

bbsam

Staff member
Watch this change over the next year or two. When you get E2 from Express, you'll be out there until 10pm on Xmas Eve like some of us are. Or for the truly pathetic and purple...Xmas Day.

No different than any other day. If they make it extremely profitable, I am ure to have volunteers. If not, they are SOL.