Moving Locations: Question about negotiation

UPS4Life

Kid, you need to get out more.
As I partially agree with this, if this is truly how he feels that loading or unloading whatever it is he is doing is cake, then it's sad the company wouldn't work with him and his school schedule. Think about it, you're turning down someone who doesn't mind the work and has a good work ethic (which is hard to find anymore(assuming he has a good work ethic if he likes the job)) and would rather have someone who doesn't want to work, whines all day, and doesn't want to be there. I agree PC is out there keep reaching for the stars maybe if your working inside. I think our building is at time of hire they won't work with you but if you're hired then tell them you have school our building will work with you to an extent I'm sure.
Either way good luck

Box Ox

Upon re applying for a package handler job at my new location, is there any leniency i can negotiate in schedule? For example only working 4 days a week instead of 5. Have any of you had experience with this, or know their policy? Thanks.

LOL. Thanks for this. Had been in a bad mood this morning.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
As I partially agree with this, if this is truly how he feels that loading or unloading whatever it is he is doing is cake, then it's sad the company wouldn't work with him and his school schedule. Think about it, you're turning down someone who doesn't mind the work and has a good work ethic (which is hard to find anymore(assuming he has a good work ethic if he likes the job)) and would rather have someone who doesn't want to work, whines all day, and doesn't want to be there. I agree PC is out there keep reaching for the stars maybe if your working inside. I think our building is at time of hire they won't work with you but if you're hired then tell them you have school our building will work with you to an extent I'm sure.
Either way good luck
I want someone who will be there everyday and get the job done.

It goes deeper than this too. I had an employee when I took over my sort who had been given the special privilege of getting a day off every week because of a class. It screwed me because I was short a guy, and I couldn't hire someone else, because it wasn't for a full schedule and every time I had to deny a day off it was always "Oh but *** gets to take every Monday off?"

Respect what he's doing in school. But I and most of my people are in school and somehow our schedule never seems to have an issue.

clean hairy

UPS may not the best place for him, with set shifts, a place with flexible scheduling where he might get one day during the week off and have to work a weekend day sounds more suited to his circumstances.

jsmith02

Kid, you need to get out more.
I did roofing and landscaping before this job, and worked landscaping during the day while working UPS night shifts the past 6 months. At UPS i've picked off, loaded, and unloaded, and all of these were far easier than the other 2 jobs. Everyone on here bitches about being a loader, but it's not that bad at all besides peak season. You get used to the heat quickly, it's easy to get in a rhythm loading, and it's only 4 hours a day..

Re-Raise

I did roofing and landscaping before this job, and worked landscaping during the day while working UPS night shifts the past 6 months. At UPS i've picked off, loaded, and unloaded, and all of these were far easier than the other 2 jobs. Everyone on here bitches about being a loader, but it's not that bad at all besides peak season. You get used to the heat quickly, it's easy to get in a rhythm loading, and it's only 4 hours a day..
By your own admission, you have yet to work through a peak season

PrimeUPS

Night sorts aren't very heavy. By definition they have to get out of the way for preload to takeover the building. In reality, they are in place to service specific loads, twilight leftovers, and bail out other buildings or late/misdirected loads to prevent roll overs and excess.

As for your request. Doubtful. Most managers look at such "deals" as problematic as has been mentioned "so and so gets Friday's off" and the lack of a body consistently. HR can't hire someone to take your place for one day each week. Not to mention, you knew your schedule at UPS when you registered for classes, find a way to manage that.