Moving out of state

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Mad Flipper, Apr 3, 2012.

  1. Mad Flipper

    Mad Flipper New Member

    Hello brown cafe,

    I have a question. I have been working as a package handler for about 9 months, however I am moving out of state and I do not want to terminate my employment at UPS or lose the progress I've made toward union benefits.

    Upon contacting my HR asking about a transfer, they inform me that I must be employed a minimum of one full year, and that transfers are only possible for educational purposes.

    So my question would be, is there anyway to retain my employment from one location to another and/or keep my union seniority?

    Any input is appreciated, thank you.
  2. brownrod

    brownrod Active Member

    no. if they like you then you can quit and get rehired. But you start all over.
  3. Mad Flipper

    Mad Flipper New Member

    Alright, that is what I was told I should do.
  4. 10yearteamster

    10yearteamster New Member

    I know several people that have signed up for school just so they could transfer and then they quit school before the start of the semester. But you do have to have a year. If you could wait another 3 months and then transfer that would be ideal.
  5. UPSGUY72

    UPSGUY72 Well-Known Member

    You have to be enrolled in school meaning you have to have payed the school money. I don't know a school out there that gives refunds.....
  6. UPSGUY72

    UPSGUY72 Well-Known Member

    Your SOL...

    You would have to quit and hope you don't get put on the no rehire list than reapply at the other location and start from scratch...

    You could do and educational transfer however you have to be enrolled in classes at a qualifying school which means you have to have paid the school already or taken on student loans....
  7. Dynomite

    Dynomite New Member

    Every community college I know (I've been to a few) Gives refunds before a certain day. I did this when I transfered to Illinois.
  8. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    ...yet people wonder why the company continually takes perks away from the hourlies...
  9. Brasswolf

    Brasswolf New Member

    In the form i have in front of me the location you are transferring to also has to be hiring, i'm in the same situation but checking UPS careers shows no avail jobs where I want to go, Must have a CDL for what they do have and I've been a PH for 4+ years. Should I still apply? I would pretty much be dropping classes as well as soon as I started, My girlfriend is moving out of state for Grad school...and I like my pay and benifits, I'm assuming the pay and benifits would follow me if I did move?
  10. UPSGUY72

    UPSGUY72 Well-Known Member

    They have to be hiring and then the center has to accept you... Also only PTimers are allowed to do educational transfer and you only can transfer to a PT position...
  11. Calvspw

    Calvspw New Member

    my son too is with ups over 3 years and needs to move out of state, he tried to get a medical transfer and they would not allow it, is there any way to get your benefits at least the Union priority and medical benefits he is getting a letter of recommendation from his supervisor where he is he has to get all this done before the 30th of April. he just now informed me.
  12. UPSGUY72

    UPSGUY72 Well-Known Member

    I take it he is going to quit with hope of getting rehired in the location that he is moving to... He can get all the letter of recommendations he wants he will most likely be put on a no rehire status by someone above his supervisor. In the case he doesn't get put on a no rehire list he will be starting over from scratch if he get hired in the area he is moving to.. He might keep is company time however he will still be lowest man on the seniority list and will have to wait to 12 months to get his health insurance in the new area..
  13. brownrod

    brownrod Active Member

    Yes. You need to work for UPS for 1 year then transfer for educational purposes.
  14. mgdjade

    mgdjade New Member

    i did an educational transfer. what you need to do is wait till your one year mark. ensure that the city your looking at has openings. enroll in one college class, take gym if you want whatever and they will grant it to you. i transfered from ga to ny this way. my advice to you is use all your accrued time off before you transfer. it took 6 months for them to pay me for my unused time hope this helps