Moving to freight

K.Pop

I am qurious as to what steps I have to take to become a OTR driver or feeder. I have been looking around and doing some research on CDL's and trucking. I understand I won't be doing it anytime soon since I am still paying my dues as a sorter. Also, I have 1 1/2 before I can even hit the age req. for any kinda trucking within UPS. I have been with UPS for about 10 months now.

Where did you drivers begin at becoming OTR's or Local Feeders?

Thanks

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I am qurious as to what steps I have to take to become a OTR driver or feeder. I have been looking around and doing some research on CDL's and trucking. I understand I won't be doing it anytime soon since I am still paying my dues as a sorter. Also, I have 1 1/2 before I can even hit the age req. for any kinda trucking within UPS. I have been with UPS for about 10 months now.

Where did you drivers begin at becoming OTR's or Local Feeders?

Thanks

If you're on the Ground side, you can forget pulling containers labeled UPS Freight. If you want to be a UPS feeder driver, you have to either have the experience or go package car first. Depending on your location it could take 20+ years to drive feeders. -Rocky

K.Pop

Do the package drivers sign a bid list on down the road or do have to just know poeple in the UPS freight area that can get you going? I have seen some bid list in the hub for feeder truckers in the HUB cant remeber if it said Temp or not.

You think if I went to a trucking company and got some experience, UPS would hire me again for feeder? I really want to get in the freight area of UPS but not sure what steps I need to take. I don't want to take a career inside the HUB as a Sup..just not me since I have other plans as a career.

any advice?

Buckethead

Do the package drivers sign a bid list on down the road or do have to just know poeple in the UPS freight area that can get you going? I have seen some bid list in the hub for feeder truckers in the HUB cant remeber if it said Temp or not.

You think if I went to a trucking company and got some experience, UPS would hire me again for feeder? I really want to get in the freight area of UPS but not sure what steps I need to take. I don't want to take a career inside the HUB as a Sup..just not me since I have other plans as a career.

any advice?

I work for the freight side as a linehaul driver, and since we are still in a transitional stage the future is uncertain. I think if I were in your shoes, I would stick it out in the Parcel side, and work my way into the Package Cars. At least you would be working and getting paid great money. And a big plus is You will be home every night! Since I am In school part time I wish I could be home every night and still keep the pay.

At freight you would be put on the dock PT, with a possibility of becoming a dock/cdl if picked.

Or, you can go get your lic with another co, get a year under your belt, and then apply at freight. Parcel would be the better deal if you are willing to wait the time it takes. JMO.

Good luck either way.

brownrodster

any advice?

UPS does not care if you know how to truck or have a CDL. They train from within.

In order to become a feeder driver you sign a bidsheet. The winning bid for feeder driver goes to the highest seniority FULL TIMER who signs the bid. If no full timers win the bid then they go to the senior part timer. In some hubs the winning feeder bids often go to drivers with 20+ years in package driving. In others it may take less time.

Expect to become a full time driver then wait many years to become a feeder driver.

Flatbed Driver

UPS Freight is a separate company from UPS small package. Think how Sears owns K-Mart and K-Mart owns Books-A-Million, but they are not one company. If you have no experience in driving the first step is to get your CDL. With that in hand you can start talking about driving for a carrier. Any company that pays you to drive will require you to have a CDL. Keep in mind as a new driver you can expect to be on the smelly end of the stick for a year maybe two. I have been driving for over 20 years. Names change, uniforms change and the trucks change but its always gonn'a be the driver that will make or break the company.

Buckethead

UPS Freight is a separate company from UPS small package. Think how Sears owns K-Mart and K-Mart owns Books-A-Million, but they are not one company. If you have no experience in driving the first step is to get your CDL. With that in hand you can start talking about driving for a carrier. Any company that pays you to drive will require you to have a CDL. Keep in mind as a new driver you can expect to be on the smelly end of the stick for a year maybe two. I have been driving for over 20 years. Names change, uniforms change and the trucks change but its always gonn'a be the driver that will make or break the company.

UPS Freight has a Dock to Driver program. No need to fork out the $4000 for truck school if you have a little patience.

K.Pop

What would be better? Staying "package handler>Package driver" or "Dock> OTR/whatever"...I just wanna drive a truck...I understand I have to have a class A CDL, which I am willing to get anytime. What path would be better, as you guys said, package drivers eventually move to a Feeder position after so long. How does the Freight side of UPS work? I already have 10months in the HUB in Dallas which is baby food to you vets. I am just trying to found the best route to gain Experince and such to become a feeder or OTR.
thanks

brownrodster

What would be better? Staying "package handler>Package driver" or "Dock> OTR/whatever"...I just wanna drive a truck...I understand I have to have a class A CDL, which I am willing to get anytime. What path would be better, as you guys said, package drivers eventually move to a Feeder position after so long. How does the Freight side of UPS work? I already have 10months in the HUB in Dallas which is baby food to you vets. I am just trying to found the best route to gain Experince and such to become a feeder or OTR.
thanks

As mentioned before, UPS and UPS freight are seperate companies. Feeder drivers make 80-100 thousand dollars per year. UPS freight are currently non union and I don't know what they make but It's probably no where near what feeder drivers make (but I may be mistaken). If you want to drive feeder then stay in your hub and wait to get into package then go into feeder.

If you want to work for freight you probably have to get your CDL, quit UPS and try to get hired by UPS freight.

How long is the wait in your hub to get into package driving?

K.Pop

I think 2 years min...I may be wrong there are some guys that have been on 6-7 months and just got plucked from the bid. I havent seen any bids on the board latley. I am jotting my name the nesxt time one is up. I know one of the guys on my sort asle was hired and had 3 years he came back a week latly saying it wasent worth it, was to much for him. I don't care what I have to do I just wanna get my career up on the move.
Also you don't think a injury in the hub will effect my chances on the bidlist will it? I'm thinking it will for some odd reason.

Buckethead

As mentioned before, UPS and UPS freight are seperate companies. Feeder drivers make 80-100 thousand dollars per year. UPS freight are currently non union and I don't know what they make but It's probably no where near what feeder drivers make (but I may be mistaken). If you want to drive feeder then stay in your hub and wait to get into package then go into feeder.

If you want to work for freight you probably have to get your CDL, quit UPS and try to get hired by UPS freight.

I'm currently making the low side on your figure, just a bit over $80,000. I do have to be away from home 3 days at a time to make it, but I have 3 1/2 days off a week also. Not to bad for non union.

It's not as bad as you would think, but we do need help with management.
K.POP:
I am just trying to found the best route to gain Experince and such to become a feeder or OTR.

Stick with Parcel, You will be glad you did. Yes you would more than likley get your CDL quicker on the freight side but there's alot of dissapointment in store for you here. JMO

Well I average 85,000 to 90,000 yearly, depending on the run I bid,which is nice for flexability, If I want more ,I bid on that run for the higher income, which uncle sam loves, right. But to give you a fair answer, any where between 75,000&120,000 year,depending on if you want to , work 3,off 4 or work 4, off 3 or work 5, off 2 really its up to you as you gain seinority, its all about the miles for the money

slaveof18wheels

Line haul is the way to make the best money at frieght. I myself chose P&D work and am on a pace to do 55,000 to 60,000 my first year. But I would agree with those that say stay package. They get much more respect than we ever will. We are like the red headed step child of UPS. :tongue_sm

Buckethead

Line haul is the way to make the best money at frieght. I myself chose P&D work and am on a pace to do 55,000 to 60,000 my first year. But I would agree with those that say stay package. They get much more respect than we ever will. We are like the red headed step child of UPS. :tongue_sm

I could care less what the parcel guys think of me, because of which side I work for. But I haven't had to worry about it because the feeder drivers that I come in contact, (not by choice but there are so many out there that it's almost impossible to avoid contact), are friendly and haven't shown any kind of attitude on the subject.

I'm just out there working for a paycheck, who I work for shouldn't bring forth judgment on my character. It would be the individual's loss.

Being the "redheaded stepchild of UPS" isn't that bad. I could be a walmart greeter.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Brother you are not and will never be the red headed step child of ups. We all have very important roles to play in the everyday operations that together help to make this company its revenues. I see your out of lake county if any of our drivers treat you like that you get the truck number and i will have a talk with them.

cook32nd

I am a previous small package employee. Just recently I saw freight was hiring for a dockworker friend/t with cdl. I have the class a cdl and the endorsements hazmat and doubles, however, what do friend/t dockworkers with cdl do for work ( daily activities)? Last thing I want to do is go out on the road for days on end? Also, if hired from the outside as a feeder driver for small package in Indianapolis, are all positions considered seasonal/temporary? I saw they pay $20.00 an hour starting as feeder drivers, what does a day or night consisit of for them (start times / end times any overtime?)