MT111 on working Christmas

Sniper

A little off topic, but how many firemen, police officers and EMS employees work on CHRISTmas?

Been there, done that and have the T-shirt. I have worked more than one CHRISTmas on the VOLUNTEER list at FedEx.

Sometimes we have difficulty seeing the forest for the trees.

MAKAVELI

A little off topic, but how many firemen, police officers and EMS employees work on CHRISTmas?

Been there, done that and have the T-shirt. I have worked more than one CHRISTmas on the VOLUNTEER list at FedEx.

Back on the kool aid bro?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Back on the kool aid bro?

I thought maybe he got straight, but he's obviously free-basing again. Drawing a parallel between FedEx couriers and emergency personnel isn't exactly Einstein-like reasoning, but I guess it works for Gomer.

He sees the trees, but doesn't realize they're part of the forest.

MAKAVELI

I thought maybe he got straight, but he's obviously free-basing again. Drawing a parallel between FedEx couriers and emergency personnel isn't exactly Einstein-like reasoning, but I guess it works for Gomer.
Obviously the sheriff thing didn't work out, so now he's back on his knees for Fred S. Pretty pathetic.

DontThrowPackages

No driver would have hours on Sunday. You need a 36 hr reset every 7 days. Even if you're not driving, you'll be on duty 6 days before Sunday. You could only drive Sunday if you took a different day off earlier in the week.
Remember, sunday is the first day of the week. All they need to do is find a way to get a driver off the clock early during the previous week to avoid going over 70 hours. Memphis 1 is already on this. Plus with the day after Christmas being a friday, they know they'll have plenty of drivers willing to turn around a go home without their minimum pay. This happens every year. Rather than calculate the amount of drivers they'll need, they make everyone come in because they know the guy who drove 1 hour to get to work is willing to turn around and go home after the sort to be with his family. Because of what happened last year at this station, guys are going to sacrifice a few hours from family. Guys with commercial routes were force to come in, even though their route were closed, only to stack freight and go home after 1.5 hours.....willingly. So if enough of the drivers say, "No, Ill only go home if I get my minimum hours paid to me", the following year management "May" allow some of us to stay home day after Christmas. Worth a shot.

dezguy

Essential services vs. delivering packages. Come on! You have to be kidding me with that!

DontThrowPackages

Essential services vs. delivering packages. Come on! You have to be kidding me with that!
And those careers are compensated nicely. And older friend from school as already retired as a police officer and is making almost as much money as he was making when on the job. Wish I could go on ocean fishing vacations anytime I pleased. So yeah some of them work Christmas but compensation is everything.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Did you all catch frontline and MT111s reference to working on Christmas?? Am so glad that I am retiring on Dec 1st after 30+ years of this crap. I think we all work to live, not live to work. Good luck to you all..
Glad to see your retiring you deserve it, the job has turned out to be frustrating mess, good luck , and don't let them talk you into staying for this ugly peak.

dezguy

Glad to see your retiring you deserve it, the job has turned out to be frustrating mess, good luck , and don't let them talk you into staying for this ugly peak.
We had a guy retire a few years ago just before peak. I can still remember coming out of the washroom just as our station manager ask him if he would consider retiring after peak instead. He laughed right in his face. I had a nice giggle too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Remember, sunday is the first day of the week. All they need to do is find a way to get a driver off the clock early during the previous week to avoid going over 70 hours. Memphis 1 is already on this. Plus with the day after Christmas being a friday, they know they'll have plenty of drivers willing to turn around a go home without their minimum pay. This happens every year. Rather than calculate the amount of drivers they'll need, they make everyone come in because they know the guy who drove 1 hour to get to work is willing to turn around and go home after the sort to be with his family. Because of what happened last year at this station, guys are going to sacrifice a few hours from family. Guys with commercial routes were force to come in, even though their route were closed, only to stack freight and go home after 1.5 hours.....willingly. So if enough of the drivers say, "No, Ill only go home if I get my minimum hours paid to me", the following year management "May" allow some of us to stay home day after Christmas. Worth a shot.

If you're no longer DOT, it's no longer an issue how many hours you work.

FUFred

They did this about 5-6 years ago. Mgrs gave most full time and all swings off on Saturday, brought ALL the part timers in and it worked. Then on Sunday, all the drivers off on Saturday worked Sunday.

But if it is NON-DOT then it doesn't matter.

El Morado Diablo

Management at our station a few years ago tried to limit the number of people working on Saturday so people could work on Sunday instead. The entire work group told them to pound sand because we knew we wouldn't get paid OT for working on Sunday. Everyone ended up working on Saturday for as many hours as they had remaining for the week.

Sniper

I can assure you I will make more money those days working for FedEx than the EMS, police and fire personnel will.

Been there, done that. ....and I love my job most days. :biggrin:

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I can assure you I will make more money those days working for FedEx than the EMS, police and fire personnel will.

Truly delusional, you are.

yoda_large.jpg

MAKAVELI

I can assure you that you live in one economically depressed area. Police and fire in my area make well over 100k some over 200k with overtime and unrivalled health and pension benefits.