My husband is stuck on the dreaded satellite route...

tieguy

Banned
sounds like you may not have bought a house yet. this may be your opportunity. Look for something half way between the building and area. the good news may be that no one else wants the route. just a thought.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
sounds like you may not have bought a house yet. this may be your opportunity. Look for something half way between the building and area. the good news may be that no one else wants the route. just a thought.

Thanks, I think.

I think he should bid this route. All the sat routes in my center were sweet country peddeling I waited 9 years for my country route and there's know place I'd rather be. Embrace the situation and smell the country air.

bigbrownhen

Browngirl14, welcome to the BC. Thanks for being so supportive and sympathetic to your husband in dealing with this job, it can take its toll on a marrige. You seem to be the type of spouse to listen to our frustrations, that does help.

As for the Sat route. To my understanding you can't get compensation for gas mileage unless you are forced to drive to the route, i.e. a coverage driver. If he won the bid for this route, then there will be no compensation. You guys might look into getting a small car that gets great gas mileage, it could pay for itself.

As for the late hours, is there anyway you could move closer to the route, even half way? It might be worth it. If this route is that bad, he probably won't get bumped off of it. There are alot of sat drivers who live close to the route if not on it, and like not dealing with the center in person daily.

Keep a positive outlook, this is not permanent.

This site has alot of good info, is a great sounding board, not to mention addicting and fun. :happy2:

Feel free to come here and sound off. Its cheaper than therapy or a divorce.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Browngirl14, welcome to the BC. Thanks for being so supportive and sympathetic to your husband in dealing with this job, it can take its toll on a marrige. You seem to be the type of spouse to listen to our frustrations, that does help.

As for the Sat route. To my understanding you can't get compensation for gas mileage unless you are forced to drive to the route, i.e. a coverage driver. If he won the bid for this route, then there will be no compensation. You guys might look into getting a small car that gets great gas mileage, it could pay for itself.

As for the late hours, is there anyway you could move closer to the route, even half way? It might be worth it. If this route is that bad, he probably won't get bumped off of it. There are alot of sat drivers who live close to the route if not on it, and like not dealing with the center in person daily.

Keep a positive outlook, this is not permanent.

This site has alot of good info, is a great sounding board, not to mention addicting and fun. :happy2:

Feel free to come here and sound off. Its cheeper than therapy or a divorce.

Cheep; Cheep Brown Wren!!!:happy-very:

Actually, we just bought our first home and it is not over that in that area or towards that area. We looked but there wasn't anything that would fit our needs. We also are hoping and planning that he should be able to bid off this route within 2 years at the MOST.

I think he should bid this route. All the sat routes in my center were sweet country peddeling I waited 9 years for my country route and there's know place I'd rather be. Embrace the situation and smell the country air.

Yeah, he will admit it is quite easy and a lot of driving. But you should hear the CRAZY stories of the folks he delivers to out there... Hick with a capital H. Creepy houses. Women peeing in buckets in the garage. Massive dogs with gnashing teeth at every stop (German Shepards are my husband's "NON-favorite"). Just the daily job of the UPS driver. It's quite entertaining and interesting for us non-UPS drivers. But at least it keeps the day interesting rather than boring out there while he's on the route!

A couple people have mentioned it taking a toll on your marriage. And this is so true! As many of you can attest to. The long hours are hard and sometimes the hubby is pretty crabby by the time he gets home. But you try hard to relate and be understanding because I know I'd be really tired and crabby too!

bigbrownhen

Careful there Browngirl. You say "Hick" like it's a bad thing. There happen to be quite a few of us hicks on here.

We do deliver to some interesting folks now and then. Every route has one or two, be it in the cities or the sticks.

helenofcalifornia

While you "hicks" were dealing with semantics, you missed the whole "women peeing in a bucket in the garage." WHAT??!!!!! Some guys would bid onto this route just for that. I deliver a somewhat rural route and have never encountered any women peeing in a bucket. That would be a first. And "hick" may apply here.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Satelites are everywhere, and from what I hear UPS wants to expand the program. As far as re-imbursements, there is none. You will get no tax right off for your expenses of driving to your new work location. I am a feed driver who pulls a pup to the satelite location. There we have two satelites stationed and for us it works out great.
I know that not every situation fits for everyone but like stated before, there is not a driver at UPS today that has not driven a horible route and stayed out all night in their career.

bigbrownhen

I waited 8 years to go driving too. Just a part of UPS life. No one starts at the top. How many times have you heard lately "just be glad you have a job."

I have lost count. Must have been a command from corporate to use that phrase at least twice a day, minimum.

Like Im not glad to have my job, I love my job, if I didn't Id go get a different one. I would like us to be treated like we actually know how to do our job that's all. :sad-little:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Satelites are everywhere, and from what I hear UPS wants to expand the program. As far as re-imbursements, there is none. You will get no tax right off for your expenses of driving to your new work location. I am a feed driver who pulls a pup to the satelite location. There we have two satelites stationed and for us it works out great.

The difference here is that you report to duty at the center while the sat driver reports to duty at the sat location.