My route being cut out on days that volume is low.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had a senior bid driver in another Center get mad Friday and go home. His face was as red as a beet when he walked past me heading for the exit door. He said his route was changed by 75%, he didn't know most of it and they wouldn't give him a map book. They have done this to him several times lately.

Re-Raise

In the central the 50% rule only comes into affect on a permanent change.

I think that is the same here too. I have another scenario that I had happen to me a couple of times this year.

My route was being cut sometimes on Mondays. I was always under the impression that if my route was cut I had the option to just stay home.

Well one of the routes that my stops went to was my old bid route that I ran for 10+ years.

I could easily run the combination route because I knew how to balnce the commits and tie the two routes together and anyone else who tried to run it by trace was pretty well screwed.

It didn't take management long to figure this out. They would call me and when I would say I'll just stay home today they would say " well we granted optional days to so many drivers and so and so called in sick we need you to come in or we won't have enough drivers"

What are my options when this happens? Should I say sorry not my problem.

It never got to that point but I really felt they were taking advantage of me when I was higher in seniority than all the people who had the day off.

over9five

Staff member
We had a senior bid driver in another Center get mad Friday and go home. His face was as red as a beet when he walked past me heading for the exit door. He said his route was changed by 75%, he didn't know most of it and they wouldn't give him a map book. They have done this to him several times lately.

Seems to me he is approaching this all wrong. I would make that into my easiest day ever. Imagine not worrying about 10:30 commits, or anything else because you had no idea where you were going! Nothing would be your fault (you did ask for a map!).

Don't get mad.....!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Seems to me he is approaching this all wrong. I would make that into my easiest day ever. Imagine not worrying about 10:30 commits, or anything else because you had no idea where you were going! Nothing would be your fault (you did ask for a map!).

Don't get mad.....!
....................................... get even!:happy-very:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I think that is the same here too. I have another scenario that I had happen to me a couple of times this year.

My route was being cut sometimes on Mondays. I was always under the impression that if my route was cut I had the option to just stay home.

Well one of the routes that my stops went to was my old bid route that I ran for 10+ years.

I could easily run the combination route because I knew how to balnce the commits and tie the two routes together and anyone else who tried to run it by trace was pretty well screwed.

It didn't take management long to figure this out. They would call me and when I would say I'll just stay home today they would say " well we granted optional days to so many drivers and so and so called in sick we need you to come in or we won't have enough drivers"

What are my options when this happens? Should I say sorry not my problem.

It never got to that point but I really felt they were taking advantage of me when I was higher in seniority than all the people who had the day off.

No, seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work. If you are instructed to come in and you are physically able, you should do so. Not doing so could get you inta a world of crap that you do not want to mess with.

SWORDFISH

No, seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work. If you are instructed to come in and you are physically able, you should do so. Not doing so could get you inta a world of crap that you do not want to mess with.

I second that. They can give you the option to have the day off but you dont have the option to work or not w/ out reason of course. They will put your but in the frying pan for that. Wish you could do that though if they take your route out but its not an option for you.

ups1990

Drivers who's route has been cut are now being forced to learn other routes "cold". Mainly due to exhausting their PD and FHP's. Now what is really interesting and why no route is safe really to being cut is that UPS will cut routes not based on the letter of the loop. My thinking was that the ending route on the loop would get axed first but this is not the case. Monday, management can decide to cut the A route on the loop.

Re-Raise

Well, when other routes have been cut the drivers don't show up. I was under the impression they had that option before anyone else.

I don't see why I have to run the combo route while the lower seniority guys who couldn't handle it just call in sick.. wink wink to the center manager

SWORDFISH

Don't get mad.....!

I LOVE IT!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of runs that are the first to get cut, normally on Mondays and sometimes on Fridays as well. These 2 drivers are given the option of staying home, bumping a less seniority driver or working on the inside to make up their hours. There have also been days when they have gone with the on car to cover an area. I think one of the two will be bidding off of his area as he is tired of having it cut.

local804

Very true.
The way it should work is that the driver with the route cut SHOULD be able to bump any lower seniority driver off of the route that they are on. This should be even more so if a A route is cut. Seniority is used for start times( our sup) and to attain jobs. Who is to say that the said driver with the route cut wouldnt have bid on one of the other routes if he didnt have his route at that time. Why should a 24 year seniority driver bump around and a 5 year rookie stay steady on a job. With telematics and PAS/EDD UPS should and could cut the lowest seniority driver out of the loop but they usually cut the older slower seniority driver because it will make their numbers look better. Bottom line its only a numbers game.

jalnar

Be careful. They can build your route by number only and if it does not have your work then you can bump a junior driver that has your work.If you know your route is not going to get built(monday and Friday) make sure you tell mgmt that any call in is work that should go by seniority not by who they want

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Very true.
The way it should work is that the driver with the route cut SHOULD be able to bump any lower seniority driver off of the route that they are on. This should be even more so if a A route is cut. Seniority is used for start times( our sup) and to attain jobs. Who is to say that the said driver with the route cut wouldnt have bid on one of the other routes if he didnt have his route at that time. Why should a 24 year seniority driver bump around and a 5 year rookie stay steady on a job. With telematics and PAS/EDD UPS should and could cut the lowest seniority driver out of the loop but they usually cut the older slower seniority driver because it will make their numbers look better. Bottom line its only a numbers game.
That's exactly the way it works here, and I agree that it's the right way to do it.

Kman845

I second that. They can give you the option to have the day off but you dont have the option to work or not w/ out reason of course. They will put your but in the frying pan for that. Wish you could do that though if they take your route out but its not an option for you.

Isn't having your job taken away (route cut) good enough reason?? Bid drivers have their own routes for a reason. Most, including I, are NOT interested in doing anyone else's job.

In my opinion, if a bid driver's route is cut he/she should be allowed to take the day off, with or without pay. Should the driver decide to work, the driver should be paid his hourly rate + 50% as compensation.

K

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Isn't having your job taken away (route cut) good enough reason?? Bid drivers have their own routes for a reason. Most, including I, are NOT interested in doing anyone else's job. In my opinion, if a bid driver's route is cut he/she should be allowed to take the day off, with or without pay. Should the driver decide to work, the driver should be paid his hourly rate + 50% as compensation. K

You want time and a half for the whole day? Boy you are funny!

SWORDFISH

Isn't having your job taken away (route cut) good enough reason?? Bid drivers have their own routes for a reason. Most, including I, are NOT interested in doing anyone else's job.

In my opinion, if a bid driver's route is cut he/she should be allowed to take the day off, with or without pay. Should the driver decide to work, the driver should be paid his hourly rate + 50% as compensation.

K

Could you negotiate that into the next contract for us? I also would like the same rules for days I just dont feel like coming to work or if I get to work and I dont like the looks of my load.