My route being cut out on days that volume is low.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad I'm off work this week. I heard my Center cut out eight routes and put fifty-one on the road yesterday. I ussualy get 40-50 stops off the route next to mine when thats done on Monday. It really screws my day up because I have to double back and get the other route's business stops off after I deliver NDA to my area. The miles go up as lot and I get off later. What really stinks is when I get an add/cut I don't know and have to dig out a map book.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
If there is one thing you can count on in this line of work is that no two days are ever the same. Some days when you complete your last stop you think..they just keep lobbing me BS everyday and I just keep knocking 'um out of the park.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm glad I'm off work this week. I heard my Center cut out eight routes and put fifty-one on the road yesterday. I ussualy get 40-50 stops off the route next to mine when thats done on Monday. It really screws my day up because I have to double back and get the other route's business stops off after I deliver NDA to my area. The miles go up as lot and I get off later. What really stinks is when I get an add/cut I don't know and have to dig out a map book.
Sounds lucrative, a license to steal. That rarely happens to me, it's been deemed to be not economically viable.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
While I understand the semantics of this position, it's a common misconception that it is supported by any real contractual language. The contract protects your right to work, not your right not to work. Best thing you can do when they cut your route out is to make them sorry they did. Make it a bad business decision and they are less likely to do again.
Depends on the supplement (as usual). In the Atlantic Area voluntary time off must be offered in seniority order. I was surprised when I learned (years ago on this board) that in many areas this was not the case and that management could pick and choose who got the day off.

Re-Raise

Since you have seniority over these cover drivers YOU should be given the option to take off, not them, your route was cut thru no fault of your own. If they keep forcing you to work maybe you can "improve" your methods by following EDD 100% stop for stop and 100% pickup compliance, NO EXCEPTIONS. Eventually they'll get the message.

K

I always thought this was the case too. That if my route was cut I was out of the equation if I chose to take the day off.

The last 3 times they have done it they have said they NEED me to work because they didn't have enough drivers. My response was ...what were you going to do if the volume called for my route to be put in?

What route I run is not a problem because they want me to run the combo route because it is made up mostly of the 2 bid routes I have run for the last 20 plus years.

To the people who have said seniority only gives you the right to work, not the right to not work I have to call BS.

Seniority allows the first choice on optional days, vacation days, opting out for the day after Christmas and Thanksgiving and many other situations. We always force from the bottom up.

I guess if management says everyone else is sick I have no choice but come in or become a liar like them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I always thought this was the case too. That if my route was cut I was out of the equation if I chose to take the day off.

The last 3 times they have done it they have said they NEED me to work because they didn't have enough drivers. My response was ...what were you going to do if the volume called for my route to be put in?

What route I run is not a problem because they want me to run the combo route because it is made up mostly of the 2 bid routes I have run for the last 20 plus years.

To the people who have said seniority only gives you the right to work, not the right to not work I have to call BS.

Seniority allows the first choice on optional days, vacation days, opting out for the day after Christmas and Thanksgiving and many other situations. We always force from the bottom up.

I guess if management says everyone else is sick I have no choice but come in or become a liar like them.
BS? I said that understand the semantics of the position, just that t wasn't supported by contractual language. At least not in any I know of, maybe in some obscure regional or local supplement as Jones alluded it is. The schedule time of you refered to such as vacation, holidays, option days, etc are specifically addressed in the contract and are dealt with in accordance. Outside of these scenarios, it's at the company's discretion unless provided for in a supplement. Honestly, if someone were to prevail in a grievance in this matter, what would they win? A decision stating the company will comply. Which they may, until they decided they needed you again on a specific day. Unless you beat them for money, they simply don't care.

Re-Raise

Outside of these scenarios, it's at the company's discretion unless provided for in a supplement.

So you are saying they can chop up bid routes and decide who gets the day off at their discretion?

One of the problems, at my center at least, is that there is absolutely no penalty for someone calling in "sick".

I know for a fact they tell the cover drivers they had better call in sick on so and so day because we are cutting routes and you don't want to run the combo route.

If my route is cut I should have the option to bump someone or stay home. That way if they have too many drivers calling in "sick" it is their problem not mine.

Maybe they could hire enough drivers to staff their operation, and if they don't know how to run a route maybe management could get out of the office and try training someone.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Maybe they could hire enough drivers to staff their operation, and if they don't know how to run a route maybe management could get out of the office and try training someone.

Now that my friend, is called hitting the nail on the head.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So you are saying they can chop up bid routes and decide who gets the day off at their discretion?

One of the problems, at my center at least, is that there is absolutely no penalty for someone calling in "sick".

I know for a fact they tell the cover drivers they had better call in sick on so and so day because we are cutting routes and you don't want to run the combo route.

If my route is cut I should have the option to bump someone or stay home. That way if they have too many drivers calling in "sick" it is their problem not mine.

Around here they tend to cut routes on the same day every week (generally Monday). And you say that there is "absolutely no penalty" for calling in sick? Hmmm...what to do, what to do....

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Around here they tend to cut routes on the same day every week (generally Monday). And you say that there is "absolutely no penalty" for calling in sick? Hmmm...what to do, what to do....

Go to work and looked shocked and dismayed when the boss tells you for the 25th Monday in a row that your route is cut and your running something else...:whiteflag:

Re-Raise

...and be sure to keep this in mind when it comes time to bid.

Our bids are permanent until another route opens up... may be years.

In my previous 24 yrs here the route I am on now had never been cut until this winter.

I am not so spoiled that I don't know there are worse things than being forced to run a combo route, or a route I am unfamiliar with. We have part-timers with over 10 yrs in who would love the chance to go full time.

I just thought that if my route was cut I was off if I wanted to be. I really don't need the money. I feel I am being taken advantage of to make their numbers look better.

I know I could run it by their trace and screw their numbers.. but my first loyalty is to my customers so I figure out how to make service in spite of how management screws it up.