National Grievance Panel?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Can anyone provide more insight on this panel? A lot of power here. How many are on it? How do they vote? How long do they serve?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Can anyone provide more insight on this panel?

Sure.

There is a main panel, that hears the majority of the general cases.

Then, there are several sub-committee's that hear cases that are specific to certain articles of the National contract.

A lot of power here. How many are on it?

I can't give you an exact number.... I never counted. Most, if not all, are on the National negotiation committee.... for both sides.

How do they vote?

They vote based on the facts of the case, and the applicable contract language. (if that is the question)

How long do they serve?

Both the Union and company, appoint their own panel members.

On the Union side, the long serving members are there based on seniority. (ie: they keep getting re-elected in their Local)

The company guys, are upper echelon regional management.... and seem to stay until they retire.

Those are the basics.

​-Bug-

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Interesting BigUnion, does either side vote against their own, or do they go party line? What happens in a deadlock?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They continue to follow, the contractual language.

​-Bug-

Yeah, in theory. In reality, our side sells us out all of the time, especially at the state panels. Where I'm from, the state grievance panels are known as the place where our jobs go to die. Why is that Bug? I'll tell you why, because the guys on our side vote against us in cases that have very little to do with contractual language. Never will you see UPS members of the panel vote against UPS, but our panels members will vote against us.

You can say what you want, but a union guy voting against a union member at a panel should be removed from said panel, and probably dismissed from our union. Who needs enemies when our family behaves like this?

Wally, what you need to know about a panel, is that you never want to be there with your job on the line, because you will soon be collecting unemployment.