Need Advice - 22.4 Driver in Packet

ups.bobby

I started a month and a half ago and on Tuesday I was told that I was getting a 10-day packet extension. I was completely caught off guard due to the compliments I would get from my on-road sups and center manager (I do know this is common for sups to do – tell you what you want to hear). I met scratch several times during my 30 days, never consistently but I met my ODO time nearly every day. Other drivers who were in their packet (they have now qualified) said they never met scratch during their 30 days.

Basically, since they told me about the extension, I have been keeping records of my numbers. I was told yesterday that it was not my fault; it is because I do not have enough work. Now they are telling me I need to beat my ODO time by 2 hours. I have anywhere between 100 – 150 stops a day. To beat ODO, my SPORH must be 29 or above, which I have done, but it is very stressful. It takes about 15 – 20 minutes to drive to my area and I am usually on road within 5 minutes of the PCM ending.

I go in at least an hour early everyday to organize my package car. I know all my stops. I follow all the stop/start and selection methods, so I never spend more than a minute or two at a stop. I am not sure what else I can do.

Any advice?
Just keep on hacking away at it!! I think it’s just part of the mind games they play to squeeze every last bit of production juice they can out of you. Just be consistent and DONT HAVE ANY ACCIDENTS OR SAFETY VIOLATIONS. If it helps any, I have absoluto no clue how I made packet because I don’t think I ever met “scratch” I would just go out everyday and grind it out. I would reorganize my truck on my lunch breaks though.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks everyone for the advice and info!

My Union Rep has been on vacation this week, so I have not been able to talk to him about my situation.

They added another neighborhood to my section on Tuesday, so now I am averaging about 180 stops, 260 pieces, and driving 39 miles. I made scratch once this week at 26 SPORH (which I still think is ridiculous; I compare my number to another driver who drives less miles than me, has about 100 stops a day, and only has about 50 more pieces than me everyday; he averages 16 SPORH and always makes scratch. WHAT????? Makes no sense!!!)

The center manager complimented my work again today. They might be stringing me along, but it SUCKS. I am busting my butt to qualify when others are just cruising and making it.

Does the other guy have pick ups? His route sounds similar to mine, but I generally have 30+ more stops, pick up about as many pieces as I deliver, make about 16 sporh, and never scratch.

freehoodies

Don’t overthink it. Management will never let you get complacent by telling you that you’re doing fine don’t change a thing.

Their job is to push you. Just take it in stride and don’t be a driver that brings them problems. Once you are out of packet you can stop stressing, but still be a good worker.

Take pride in your work. That also means don’t run across someones yard to get “times” down, always use safe working methods like using your handcart, fill out infonotices completely and use DR bags if it might rain and the package will be exposed. And take your breaks.

Sorry to leave y'all hanging! ORS and Center Manger love me... until I mess up, right? Got peak season rookie of the year! Qualifying was a struggle (had to have a SPORH of 30 to get bonus) but I made it! The problem I had with my qualifying route was my mileage was low (32 miles with 120 stops). For the 10 day extension, they added another section that put me up to about 40 miles and 160 stops. At on point my ORS literally told me to drive around the block a few times to get more miles. So basically my problem was I had a tight resi route with no pick-ups that was close to the center.

Currently I am running a resi route with about 210 stops a day and 80 miles....

P.S. I am taking my full 60 minute lunch

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I think they can get you on organizing your truck when not on the clock.
I used to help the shifter off the clock because I had no life and the NYU girls usually didn’t go out until 9:00P the earliest

Also because he taught me a valuable craft and I appreciated and respected the fact that he was passing down knowledge that would helped me take his place one day.

MisplacedRailWorker

i don't know anything about the specifics behind the numbers, but my training route averaged 90-95 miles per day (25 miles to/from first and last stop). i qualified by making scratch 5 days in a row and 18 SPORH. had on average 140 stops per day plus 22p/u. worked in a lot of peninsulas around a big lake, very high end areas with gated driveways and houses 500+ft off the road. no apts. pickups would typically be 75-100pkgs per day. as nice as it was to be around the lake on a nice day, those types of stops are slooooow.
I made book not scratching at all. Not one single day. Brought the pc back in the same condition I departed with it in, and the other half of my packet was in the jump seat as a helper.
Yes they did still expect driver numbers. They got ‘em.

MisplacedRailWorker

Sorry to leave y'all hanging! ORS and Center Manger love me... until I mess up, right? Got peak season rookie of the year! Qualifying was a struggle (had to have a SPORH of 30 to get bonus) but I made it! The problem I had with my qualifying route was my mileage was low (32 miles with 120 stops). For the 10 day extension, they added another section that put me up to about 40 miles and 160 stops. At on point my ORS literally told me to drive around the block a few times to get more miles. So basically my problem was I had a tight resi route with no pick-ups that was close to the center.

Currently I am running a resi route with about 210 stops a day and 80 miles....

P.S. I am taking my full 60 minute lunch
They don’t love you.