Need Advice - 22.4 Driver in Packet

I started a month and a half ago and on Tuesday I was told that I was getting a 10-day packet extension. I was completely caught off guard due to the compliments I would get from my on-road sups and center manager (I do know this is common for sups to do – tell you what you want to hear). I met scratch several times during my 30 days, never consistently but I met my ODO time nearly every day. Other drivers who were in their packet (they have now qualified) said they never met scratch during their 30 days.

Basically, since they told me about the extension, I have been keeping records of my numbers. I was told yesterday that it was not my fault; it is because I do not have enough work. Now they are telling me I need to beat my ODO time by 2 hours. I have anywhere between 100 – 150 stops a day. To beat ODO, my SPORH must be 29 or above, which I have done, but it is very stressful. It takes about 15 – 20 minutes to drive to my area and I am usually on road within 5 minutes of the PCM ending.

I go in at least an hour early everyday to organize my package car. I know all my stops. I follow all the stop/start and selection methods, so I never spend more than a minute or two at a stop. I am not sure what else I can do.

Any advice?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I started a month and a half ago and on Tuesday I was told that I was getting a 10-day packet extension. I was completely caught off guard due to the compliments I would get from my on-road sups and center manager (I do know this is common for sups to do – tell you what you want to hear). I met scratch several times during my 30 days, never consistently but I met my ODO time nearly every day. Other drivers who were in their packet (they have now qualified) said they never met scratch during their 30 days.

Basically, since they told me about the extension, I have been keeping records of my numbers. I was told yesterday that it was not my fault; it is because I do not have enough work. Now they are telling me I need to beat my ODO time by 2 hours. I have anywhere between 100 – 150 stops a day. To beat ODO, my SPORH must be 29 or above, which I have done, but it is very stressful. It takes about 15 – 20 minutes to drive to my area and I am usually on road within 5 minutes of the PCM ending.

I go in at least an hour early everyday to organize my package car. I know all my stops. I follow all the stop/start and selection methods, so I never spend more than a minute or two at a stop. I am not sure what else I can do.

Any advice?

What region you in? Do you know your supplemental contract? Also, ODO time has nothing to do with under or over allowed. 29 sporh is absolutely ridiculous unless you have the tightest resi only route.

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
During my qualifying I wasn’t given an extension. From finishing work well before hand I got approved to take extended lunches. Some of my lunches went to 2 hours long. Eventually the holiday months drew near and more work was given.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Are you sure about that 29 sporh? I mean thats literally 3.5hrs of work or 5 hrs of work at 100/150 stops. That doesn't sound right. For 7 hrs of work plus 1hr breaks, your sporh should be more like 21 or 22, which is doable on tight routes. Though that might be why they said you need to scratch by 2 hours. But listen, the rules say scratch 5 days in a row, not how much you scratch by.

Are you union yet? Talk with your Stewart or BA. Something seems off here. At first I thought they liked you by giving you the extension. Now I'm thinking they may be abusing you cause you're doing good work but they dont want to keep you.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

Any advice?
Don't let them string you along...

Any advice?
ODO time doesn't really mean anything, it's you over under there important.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Can anyone here explain how the ODO and over/under is calculated?
giphy (2).gif

What region you in? Do you know your supplemental contract? Also, ODO time has nothing to do with under or over allowed. 29 sporh is absolutely ridiculous unless you have the tightest resi only route.

I am in the Southern (OK/TX) region. I am not sure what a supplemental contract is. My planned mileage averages at 31 miles. It's a 9 mile drive to get to my area.

Are you sure about that 29 sporh? I mean thats literally 3.5hrs of work or 5 hrs of work at 100/150 stops. That doesn't sound right. For 7 hrs of work plus 1hr breaks, your sporh should be more like 21 or 22, which is doable on tight routes. Though that might be why they said you need to scratch by 2 hours. But listen, the rules say scratch 5 days in a row, not how much you scratch by.

Are you union yet? Talk with your Stewart or BA. Something seems off here. At first I thought they liked you by giving you the extension. Now I'm thinking they may be abusing you cause you're doing good work but they dont want to keep you.

They originally told me 23 sporh, but now they are saying I need to do 29. I am union from working inside, but not with driving. I will talk with my Stewart more and see what he says. He was was pretty dumbfounded when I first talked to him and he saw my numbers.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Can anyone here explain how the ODO and over/under is calculated?

I was trying to figure out over/under for my first two years of driving, because it seemed random as far as I could tell. A user on here from a while back, I believe his name as pretzelman or p-man (I can't find his posts or name in search anymore, maybe one of the guys whose been here since the beginning can chime in on the guy I'm talking about) who was an IE guy who had a lot of good info on how over/under was calculated.

From what I remember you get:

A set amount of inside time for before leaving and after getting back.

A set amount of time for each stop and each piece.

Miles driven multiplied by a preset average speed for the route to get time for driving.

Each address has had a virtual time study in which they measure the distance from the center of the street to the front door, then assign each address a factor to determine how much extra time (if any) is needed for that stop. (As far as I can tell this is a complete failure for multi-stop addresses)

Extra time for overweights, which are now entered automatically, we used to have to do it manually to get the credit.

Extra time for signatures. I'm under the impression that they have tightened up allowances for commercial addresses since CIR came out.

I have heard that each driver gets assigned a factor that follows them around regardless of route. I believe this because I have witnessed my 1/2 hour bonus turn into 1/2 of over allowed from one day to the next with no real significant changes to my route or how long it took to do it, and it has stayed that way ever since.

Then they supposedly give extra time (around 10%) for delay, fatigue and personal (tying your shoe, blowing your nose, etc).

And they are supposed to factor in your breaks.

Add all that up, compare it to actual hours worked, and that's how you get under/over.

I'm probably forgetting a few, but that should be a good start.

Orion does it's own calculations. I find it hilarious that UPS use two different systems to measure how fast you should do your route, one for planning and one for productivity, and they don't agree. I believe Orion is as screwed up as it is because the under/over system is so fraudulent. The dispatcher dispatches based on stops per car handed down from above, then assigns stops to different routes to meet spc, while looking at what planned days look like for the stops per each car. Orion gets those stops, and tries to figure out the best way to run it. It can't come up with a smart way to run a route because they try to shove too much work onto a route and it can't meet it's own parameters. I'm pretty sure that's why my Orion appears completely randomized most days.