Need Advice - 22.4 Driver in Packet

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They originally told me 23 sporh, but now they are saying I need to do 29. I am union from working inside, but not with driving. I will talk with my Stewart more and see what he says. He was was pretty dumbfounded when I first talked to him and he saw my numbers.

Talk to your steward about what your supplement says about bidding into and gaining seniority for full time driving. In the West they can only extend qualifying period by ten days if those are all in class days at the beginning of qualification (up to two weeks for integrad, basically). Aside from that if you drive 31 days, you are qualified. If you drive any route other than your training route, you are qualified. But that's under the Western Supplement.

If they lied to you about qualifying (which I think they did) I would file a grievance for harassment and forcing you to work under unsafe conditions.

705er

Curious if the "If you drive any route other than your training route, you are qualified." exception applies to the 705 supplement.. Anyone?

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
i don't know anything about the specifics behind the numbers, but my training route averaged 90-95 miles per day (25 miles to/from first and last stop). i qualified by making scratch 5 days in a row and 18 SPORH. had on average 140 stops per day plus 22p/u. worked in a lot of peninsulas around a big lake, very high end areas with gated driveways and houses 500+ft off the road. no apts. pickups would typically be 75-100pkgs per day. as nice as it was to be around the lake on a nice day, those types of stops are slooooow.

pkgdriver

I was trying to figure out over/under for my first two years of driving, because it seemed random as far as I could tell. A user on here from a while back, I believe his name as pretzelman or p-man (I can't find his posts or name in search anymore, maybe one of the guys whose been here since the beginning can chime in on the guy I'm talking about) who was an IE guy who had a lot of good info on how over/under was calculated.

From what I remember you get:

A set amount of inside time for before leaving and after getting back.

A set amount of time for each stop and each piece.

Miles driven multiplied by a preset average speed for the route to get time for driving.

Each address has had a virtual time study in which they measure the distance from the center of the street to the front door, then assign each address a factor to determine how much extra time (if any) is needed for that stop. (As far as I can tell this is a complete failure for multi-stop addresses)

Extra time for overweights, which are now entered automatically, we used to have to do it manually to get the credit.

Extra time for signatures. I'm under the impression that they have tightened up allowances for commercial addresses since CIR came out.

I have heard that each driver gets assigned a factor that follows them around regardless of route. I believe this because I have witnessed my 1/2 hour bonus turn into 1/2 of over allowed from one day to the next with no real significant changes to my route or how long it took to do it, and it has stayed that way ever since.

Then they supposedly give extra time (around 10%) for delay, fatigue and personal (tying your shoe, blowing your nose, etc).

And they are supposed to factor in your breaks.

Add all that up, compare it to actual hours worked, and that's how you get under/over.

I'm probably forgetting a few, but that should be a good start.

Orion does it's own calculations. I find it hilarious that UPS use two different systems to measure how fast you should do your route, one for planning and one for productivity, and they don't agree. I believe Orion is as screwed up as it is because the under/over system is so fraudulent. The dispatcher dispatches based on stops per car handed down from above, then assigns stops to different routes to meet spc, while looking at what planned days look like for the stops per each car. Orion gets those stops, and tries to figure out the best way to run it. It can't come up with a smart way to run a route because they try to shove too much work onto a route and it can't meet it's own parameters. I'm pretty sure that's why my Orion appears completely randomized most days.
Yep pretzel_man had a lot of good information. Seemed like a good dude. You can find some/all of his posts by using pretzel_man. I remember the Pman name also. 2013 was the last post under pretzel_man.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yep pretzel_man had a lot of good information. Seemed like a good dude. You can find some/all of his posts by using pretzel_man. I remember the Pman name also. 2013 was the last post under pretzel_man.

Thanks! His name wouldn't come up in the suggestion drop down when I typed in "pret". I tried pretzel-man, didn't think to try the "_".

Hump dump and roll

Oh FFS someone needs to tell the OP that he’s doing fine and that the reason you got “extended” was to get you into the free period where your days don’t count towards seniority. Then during this free period management is going to dangle the carrot and make this kid jump through hoops because now he has to bust his ass through peak so he can “qualify” in January.

specter208

Oh FFS someone needs to tell the OP that he’s doing fine and that the reason you got “extended” was to get you into the free period where your days don’t count towards seniority. Then during this free period management is going to dangle the carrot and make this kid jump through hoops because now he has to bust his ass through peak so he can “qualify” in January.
He started his probation before October, how could his current days not count?

Ackerlin

It's called psychology warfare. Without seniority they know they can make you do whatever they want. Your numbers are beyond good, they just want to max you out, see how much they can get out of you.

Thanks everyone for the advice and info!

My Union Rep has been on vacation this week, so I have not been able to talk to him about my situation.

They added another neighborhood to my section on Tuesday, so now I am averaging about 180 stops, 260 pieces, and driving 39 miles. I made scratch once this week at 26 SPORH (which I still think is ridiculous; I compare my number to another driver who drives less miles than me, has about 100 stops a day, and only has about 50 more pieces than me everyday; he averages 16 SPORH and always makes scratch. WHAT????? Makes no sense!!!)

The center manager complimented my work again today. They might be stringing me along, but it SUCKS. I am busting my butt to qualify when others are just cruising and making it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thanks everyone for the advice and info!

My Union Rep has been on vacation this week, so I have not been able to talk to him about my situation.

They added another neighborhood to my section on Tuesday, so now I am averaging about 180 stops, 260 pieces, and driving 39 miles. I made scratch once this week at 26 SPORH (which I still think is ridiculous; I compare my number to another driver who drives less miles than me, has about 100 stops a day, and only has about 50 more pieces than me everyday; he averages 16 SPORH and always makes scratch. WHAT????? Makes no sense!!!)

The center manager complimented my work again today. They might be stringing me along, but it SUCKS. I am busting my butt to qualify when others are just cruising and making it.

Work smarter not harder young padawan