need advice: footwear and management problem

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No support?
You see the joeboo gifs this morning? Had me laughing all day. This one I can't not laugh every time I see it. And I seen it 100 times toady just to see if I'd still laugh. I laughed every time!!!
IMG_2691.GIF

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
We have inside guys wearing sneakers everyday at 43rd st. Not a word is said to them.. Not black, but green, red, bright blues and all white.
All those guys should get together and all come in wearing bunny slippers .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have inside guys wearing sneakers everyday at 43rd st. Not a word is said to them.. Not black, but green, red, bright blues and all white.
All those guys should get together and all come in wearing bunny slippers .

I would think that most of these guys ride the subway to work-----can you imagine the reaction from the other riders if they did all wear bunny slippers on the train?

Gotout

I wish it was that easy to be sent home. I'd wear flip flops every Friday.
I know that you mean this as a bit of a joke, but it is actually a good question to ask in looking to resolve OP's three original questions. If you actually did wear flip-flops in on a Friday and told your manager that they are the only shoes you have, then of course they would not work you.

The company standard for "proper footwear" is a sturdy leather (or leather like) upper, and a nonslip sole. It is documented in the 30 day training packs for hub, preload and driving positions.

We don't have enough information to answer OP's first question. It may be that the manager handled it properly from a safety/labor standpoint, but not an employee standpoint. It is likely that the manager actually did put everyone "on notice" about proper footwear. At a minimum he would have been able to demonstrate that the employees knew what proper footwear was from their training documentation. Just because you don't remember signing that page doesn't mean that you can claim ignorance from a labor standpoint.

Are the grievances winnable? Probably not. The manager would have been wise to also document not only who he was turning away, but to be taking pictures of what their footwear was in the event that it did go to a panel. Again, if we can agree that he would not work you in flip-flops then the case could be made that he should not work you in canvas sneakers either. There is an argument that could be made that this training/policy on proper footwear meets the definition of an "extracontractual" policy, which is expressly forbidden in the national master. There was a BA in my local that had this as his personal mission. I never saw him get any traction with it.

Does management have to abide by this rule? Yes absolutely. Specifically I'm referring to operations management. If the district staff is in your office, then there is a different policy regarding the footwear that they must wear. Remember though, the actual standard is not boots. I wore the same style of Rockports for years and the met the standard.

It is always interesting to me that employees/members want to fight this policy. As a former manager, there are actually not many things that I will defend the company on. However, the changes that I saw over 15 years to the safety culture it's something that I will defend. Is it really where it needs to be? No. Is it perfect? No of course not. Seeing how safety is (or is not) a part of the conversation at other companies now, I will say that UPS is light years ahead of the broader American industrial culture. I'm not kidding when I say that there are companies out there that still look like a 1920s Chicago meet district processing plant when it comes to safety.

Edit: for what it's worth, the best way to win this grievance would have been to document what all of the managers, full-time and part-time supervisors were wearing that day. If any of them were allowed to work in footwear they did not meet the same standard that hourly employees were held to, then the grievance would be winnable.

22.34life

Man I see it all with this policy,employees began bringing there work boots with them and would change out of their sneakers and into the boots.then the company says u can't bring two pair of shoes into the building because p/t are not allowed a change of cloths but when the guards ask them to remove their boots the company says they are not asking them to remove their cloths,funny how that works

Nike

shoe policy is terrible, have a doctor write you a note and wear whatever the hell you want.
If they really cared it would be steel toe, no exceptions, it's not so I don't see whats the point.
Leather seriously what is this tombstone Arizona during the 1890s?
Don't get me started on the colors, cuz I'm sure customers care more about the color of our shoes then the package falling apart or showing up a week late.

ski or die

Ski or Die
In clerical, I questioned our office manager why we were not allowed to wear tennis shoes. Response " a pencil may fall off your desk and hit you in the foot". I guess that sounded logical.

Noreaga

To them everything is a safety issue--unless it has to do with how fast a package is loaded or delivered---then all safety talk goes out the door. UPS has always preached safety out of one side of their mouth while screaming faster ,faster, faster out of the other side.
Good point

Johnny123456789

At our hub, we have multiple supervisors that always work and do our job. They also wear black sneakers. If you can catch just one supevisor working with sneakers, than you have a fat grievance. Add harrasement as well on the manager.

watdaflock?

How should have the manager handled the situation?
Are these grievances winnable?
Does an operations manager also have to wear the proper footwear?
Manager handled it fine. I'm sure those employees who were not worked were told before about their shoes.
Hopefully the grievances are not winnable. Employees who did not have proper footwear were not allowed to work. Don't see where your question is...
Management did not refuse to work those employees, the employees refused to work (themselves) when they ignored the dress code.
The OP manager does not do the same work as UPS employees. Why do you think they would need sturdy upper leather shoes?