Need advice please

Benefits

OP, you didn't say what position you or your boyfriend work in. I'm assuming a package handler?
Please understand what the job entails and the work environment.

This may not be a good fit for you or your boyfriend. Your health or safety. It's physically hard work in an environment that you could get injured in easily. It's not easy to just get to the bathroom, nor is it easy to eat something for your insulin regulation. This will never change at UPS working as a package handler.

A different job may be better for you and your boyfriend. Possibly a UPS store, would be a better fit? Or a different career, where you can work from home?

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I'm relatively new to the working world because I mostly depended on my disability check. But I sort of know the ins and outs. My boyfriend and I started working at UPS about the same time. Today he was fired for supposedly not coming in to work. He missed about 5 days within a month due to medical reasons. Almost all had a doctor's excuse. He just go fired today. Now there's a procedure that our whole facility is supposed to go by. 1) verbal warning.. 2) a suspension without pay 3) intent to fire and 4) then you are fired. Well he was given no warning. No suspension and definitely no notice of termination.
Even if he was warned, the rest never did happen. I can't help but feel like he can dispute this decision. Shoot.. even I have called out more than he has and haven't been warned or terminated yet. All of mine were for medical reasons as well. Apparently the union steward was present for the termination and didn't do anything. Do you know any action that he or I can take? Or is this pretty much permanent.
First off, sorry to hear about your health issues. There really are folks who try that unluckily have strikes against them and that sounds like you with seizures from epilepsy. Keep your nose clean and you'll survive providing you were up front and truthful from the day you applied.

Your boyfriend's career at UPS is over. This company is different than most. It pays great, it gives you a way out with the bargaining. Yet, you are held on a much higher standard than say Apple Bee's or Autozone. You don't get many chances especially in the beginning years.

So you hang in there. Your BF has opportunities all over from $11 to $14 an hour. Might be stacking Whoppers but at least you can stay for the bennies and together can make around $50k a year which is about par for the youth today.

He's definitely done, just move on. Not the end of the world.

Good Luck & Stay Safe 😊

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
He was at his 29th day.. I'm already at my forty day mark. So relatively new I guess. But I've seen others call out far more and never get fired who had started when I started. I wasn't there so I don't know what the union rep said. But I mean. If we started about a week apart from each other with same amount of call ins.. I don't get why he's being fired and I'm not when I know I've had more call ins then he did.
Good lord 5+ call ins in your first couple months of work. Do you 2 actually want to be employed?

Elmo.goes.to.prom

I don't understand? You want opinions and help from us. But you don't like our answers. We can't help you.

There is no protocol when you are in your qualifying period. They can fire you at will. You are not in the union at this point.

quad decade guy

For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happen

Well congrats for you. Unfortunately some people just aren't that exceptional. I'm sorry that neither of us measure up to you. But seriously. I get it is a lot for a new hire. And try to look past your own spectacular record. Because life actually happens to other people who have family emergencies, health dilemmas, or whatever that happen to them at really bad times. Im tired of repeating my question again an again. All I'm saying is there was no protocol followed. Others have had more call outs then him and I put together from when we first started and are still there. As I have said that protocol is to be followed by both NEW.. AND SENIOR hires. Which wasn't. I'm only just asking advice or suggestions. Not judgmental criticism. But it's whatever. I thank those for their help and replies. It was just bad timing for both of our health to spiral down. I guess he is the one who gets the boot. Thanks everyone

Let's try this: If I owned a business that actually needed for folks to be there everyday....you would have never made it past the application process. Sucks but you guys can't be counted on. Trust me-they count on you to be there. Seizures and diabetes? Imagine having a seizure and falling on/in a belt?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Let's try this: If I owned a business that actually needed for folks to be there everyday....you would have never made it past the application process. Sucks but you guys can't be counted on. Trust me-they count on you to be there. Seizures and diabetes? Imagine having a seizure and falling on/in a belt?
I can’t imagine doing any job with this company and having epilepsy.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happened I had a bad flare up with my seizures in the last month. H

Diverticulosis.. a flare up that was causing gastro problems. I'm only asking for opinions. Yes I think it's cause for concern but I also know it seems a little unjust at the same time. What I don't get is why aren't they following their own protocol. That protocol applies to both new hires AND senior hires. At our facility anyways.
I feel bad for you guys for your illnesses..

But honestly with those conditions neither of you should have been hired.

Not being mean, just stating the facts.

As stated earlier, get your FMLA in order if you want to stay.

Goid luck