Need help with regards to pay progression (local 63)

Cali_Ups_14

Let me, get this out of the way, (I did search the forum, I did ask my steward, I did talk with H.R., and I have even spoken with my B.A + his boss multiple times, I've even tried to dissect the contract book but its rather vague) I'm just looking for a solid answer with some backing (aka contract: article, section w/e) Now to my question. IF I started my progression (that is, I started as a cover driver back in march of 2018. Then flipped to RPCD in october 2018. How long does it take for me to top out? Also, am I grandfathered in from the old contract Or kicked into the new progression under the new contract? Lastly , if I topped out as an air driver does that time also count towards my progression as a full time driver (i'm asking because I've heard conflicting answered with regards to the new contract including such time) Looking for some guided advice in this accord since I have roughly 15 guys under me including 22.4's who have already top out in pay who have been driving way less time than I have.

newbie777

Let me, get this out of the way, (I did search the forum, I did ask my steward, I did talk with H.R., and I have even spoken with my B.A + his boss multiple times, I've even tried to dissect the contract book but its rather vague) I'm just looking for a solid answer with some backing (aka contract: article, section w/e) Now to my question. IF I started my progression (that is, I started as a cover driver back in march of 2018. Then flipped to RPCD in october 2018. How long does it take for me to top out? Also, am I grandfathered in from the old contract Or kicked into the new progression under the new contract? Lastly , if I topped out as an air driver does that time also count towards my progression as a full time driver (i'm asking because I've heard conflicting answered with regards to the new contract including such time) Looking for some guided advice in this accord since I have roughly 15 guys under me including 22.4's who have already top out in pay who have been driving way less time than I have.
I’m pretty sure you are red circled at you cover rate until the pay progression exceed your rate. For example here, a cover makes 26$ and some change. He soundly get a raise until his third completed year of full time driving which would be 28.75$. Hope this helps. Don’t think your air driving slides you into to top pay since you were still part time. I’m pretty sure only full time positions don’t start over in position when changing jobs. I could be wrong thou. And I’m not sure how a 22.4 could be topped out since UPS just started using 22.4 drivers a year ago and your progression raises would be on you full time date.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Couple of questions:

By cover driver do you mean a part time inside employee who drove when needed?

Were you a full time air driver? If not, then your air driving time won't have bearing on your progression.

What was the actual date you switched to RPCD? Technically we were under the old contract until the new one went into effect in April 2019, so you should be under the old progression, but the new progression is better, so if you switched over to RPCD after the contract was ratified in October but before it went into effect the next April, you might have an argument for being on the new progression.

The articles covering progression for Air Driving and other Full Time jobs are 40 and 41 in the master respectively. Mostly local language covers top rate, and the
rules about cover driving. My local doesn't use part time cover drivers, so cover drivers are what we call guys without a bid route.

newbie777

First of all I’m in the west, I’m a 22.4 that started last year. I know “cover” drivers that drove every day and were converted to a RPCD position. They kept their cover driving rate until their RPCD progression surpasses that. There are RPCD that don’t have routes. They are different than cover drivers. Cover driving is a title and is technically a part time position, even thou they were used every day. I was never a full time air driver. I only know guys with higher seniority with those positions, it’s usually lighter work so they like it better than being a regular ground driver. I don’t know the old contract, so I’m not sure how that works. Sorry I couldn’t be of any help.

542thruNthru

I'm confused, if you've talked to all of them you should have your answer. You're Southwest Package rider. Your BA should have given you the correct answer. Something tells me you just didn't like it.

You're not grandfathered into the old contract. You were a cover driver. So 4 years from the date you qualified as a cover driver is when you will reach top scale.

You'll be red circled at your cover driver rate until you hit top scale.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
First of all I’m in the west, I’m a 22.4 that started last year. I know “cover” drivers that drove every day and were converted to a RPCD position. They kept their cover driving rate until their RPCD progression surpasses that. There are RPCD that don’t have routes. They are different than cover drivers. Cover driving is a title and is technically a part time position, even thou they were used every day. I was never a full time air driver. I only know guys with higher seniority with those positions, it’s usually lighter work so they like it better than being a regular ground driver. I don’t know the old contract, so I’m not sure how that works. Sorry I couldn’t be of any help.

I was asking the OP.

Cali_Ups_14

I'm confused, if you've talked to all of them you should have your answer. You're Southwest Package rider. Your BA should have given you the correct answer. Something tells me you just didn't like it.

You're not grandfathered into the old contract. You were a cover driver. So 4 years from the date you qualified as a cover driver is when you will reach top scale.

You'll be red circled at your cover driver rate until you hit top scale.
So to resolve some confusion. I have a new BA who doesn't seem to know anything and always redirects me to either HR or his overseer. My HR rep is also new because the other rep was promoted and moved. My steward is on power trip and says that my interest in inquiring in this, is more trouble than its worth. However, as stated previously, if I have guys who either started at or below my seniority are topping I, I figure it be worth looking into.

To answer your next question, I was actually a cover driver( that is if i'm understanding correctly, a part time guy who drove full time). In my center, cover drivers were used almost indefinitely. My cover period was between (mar 3,2018 - october 1, 2018) prior to that I was a part time air driver (topped out).

Also with regards to the red circle, do you keep your top air rate when driving or do you stay at the 24 when you start cover?

542thruNthru

So to resolve some confusion. I have a new BA who doesn't seem to know anything and always redirects me to either HR or his overseer. My HR rep is also new because the other rep was promoted and moved. My steward is on power trip and says that my interest in inquiring in this, is more trouble than its worth. However, as stated previously, if I have guys who either started at or below my seniority are topping I, I figure it be worth looking into.
Your steward is a :censored2: and honestly should know the answer to your question without having to look it up. You might want to discuss his lack of motivation with your local.

To answer your next question, I was actually a cover driver( that is if i'm understanding correctly, a part time guy who drove full time). In my center, cover drivers were used almost indefinitely. My cover period was between (mar 3,2018 - october 1, 2018) prior to that I was a part time air driver (topped out).
Section 38 - Southwest Package Rider - Cover Drivers
Screenshot_20201031-094113_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

So March 3 2022 you will be top rate.
Also with regards to the red circle, do you keep your top air rate when driving or do you stay at the 24 when you start cover?
No. You start at your cover rate.

ManInBrown

Never ask anyone that works for the company about pay. Management, HR. They have no idea. Might as well walk up to a stranger on the street and ask them. Do you have multiple centers in your building? Try asking a steward from another center. Maybe they know. Just from my experience when I was in package going thru progression, when you ask the union whether it be the hall, or a steward, if you ask ten different people you will get ten different answers.

Cali_Ups_14

Never ask anyone that works for the company about pay. Management, HR. They have no idea. Might as well walk up to a stranger on the street and ask them. Do you have multiple centers in your building?
Well considering pay is regulated by HR or this new upsers "myhr" program, its kind of my only avenue. I do have multiple centers, however the stewards are all buddy buddy. They are all relatively new with regards to being a "steward" since the O.G. went to become a BA at a different center completely. I was thinking of reaching out to him, or even the president of are hall to get some solid answers. I'm just entirely frustrated because I seem the be the the only one impacted. It makes no sense as to why my seniority is being voided are not included in this matter. Fortunately, my center manager is pretty straight forward and said he look into it. But with the start of peak happening I doubt it will be anytime soon.
Try asking a steward from another center. Maybe they know. Just from my experience when I was in package going thru progression, when you ask the union whether it be the hall, or a steward, if you ask ten different people you will get ten different answers.

Cali_Ups_14

I’m pretty sure you are red circled at you cover rate until the pay progression exceed your rate. For example here, a cover makes 26$ and some change. He soundly get a raise until his third completed year of full time driving which would be 28.75$. Hope this helps. Don’t think your air driving slides you into to top pay since you were still part time. I’m pretty sure only full time positions don’t start over in position when changing jobs. I could be wrong thou. And I’m not sure how a 22.4 could be topped out since UPS just started using 22.4 drivers a year ago and your progression raises would be on you full time date.
That's why im confused. Because all the guys around my seniority date(minus a few) have only done part time air driving. And the guys at my seniority have had the same job titles. The only other thing I could think of to further progression was that were have been used as cover drivers during peak from previous years and was paid top rate for the times we touch ground

charm299

If you were a part time cover driver u get red circled when u go full time. Once you go full time, u have 4 years until top pay. U will keep your cover rate until progression catches up