Need help with Sup going back on word

So at the beginning of January I asked my sup for time off in March. He said I could take the time and was free to go. So I went and bought my airline tickets to visit my family. Last week they pulled me aside and told me it wasn't going to work and that if I didn't show up to work I would probably lose my job. I talked to my Supervisors boss and he basically told me I'm SOL. I genuinely enjoy my job, and would like to keep it. Is there anything I can do besides eating a pricey airline ticket in order to keep my job?

TL;DR Asked for time off, got it. Supervisor tells me a month later I can't take it.

Call in sick?
5 days in a row though? The FT sup basically told me I would probably get fired if I do that. He wouldn't tell me straight up what would happen which is why I'm so frustrated. If he told me I would be fired I would have given him the courtesy of my two weeks notice and made sure someone was trained.
you should have got a written copy of agreement, signed..
At my center the sorters don't have that for unpaid. If you're sup says you're good, you're good. At least that's what happened until last week.....

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Your only option is to call in sick those five days. My sup told me if you do that most of the time they will just suspend you. Probably depends on their hiring need though too.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So at the beginning of January I asked my sup for time off in March. He said I could take the time and was free to go. So I went and bought my airline tickets to visit my family. Last week they pulled me aside and told me it wasn't going to work and that if I didn't show up to work I would probably lose my job. I talked to my Supervisors boss and he basically told me I'm SOL. I genuinely enjoy my job, and would like to keep it. Is there anything I can do besides eating a pricey airline ticket in order to keep my job?

TL;DR Asked for time off, got it. Supervisor tells me a month later I can't take it.
Who did you ask, your PT sup? He doesn't have the authority to approve time off. You didn't get anything. Without a written agreement....or a witness to the conversation, it NEVER happened. You're lucky they warned you ahead of time....I've seen a guy come back from a similar unpaid week off....and sups claimed he abandoned his job by 5 no call/no shows. Next time, schecule trips on your vacation weeks, or get it in writing.

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I don't recommend it, but if your attendance is otherwise spot-on and you work PT in the hub you'll probably skate on it. Attendance is one of those things I typically cannot/will not defend but if you made arrangements to visit your family, they were green lit with you being given the okay, and then the rug gets pulled out from under you because your PT supervisor can't read a vacation schedule.. then Big Brown can chalk this one up to progressive discipline.

I would simply call in every day while on vacation and eat the write-ups when you come back to work, depending on how important the trip is to you. A lot of this depends on the attendance situation in your building, but you'd probably just wind up with a furious FT supervisor and a warning letter for attendance.

I would talk to your steward ASAP to get an idea of how lax they are with attendance in your building.Your mileage may vary, but someone would walk on this in my hub with a warning letter if their attendance was otherwise decent and they called in every day they were out. Out of curiosity, did another hourly overhear the supervisor telling you that you could have the week off?

Last edited:

OPTION3

I would call in each day….then go to my doctor with the "sniffles" ask for work release---They can try progressive discipline….but back to back days for 1 illness does not work(constitute multiple instances) for them….sort of like going on vacation, leaving your dog in the house….returning, then rubbing his nose in "it" for five days of poop…it don't work……Returning to work…then receiving a warning letter, suspension,termination--all at the same time doesn't work…any steward worth his/her salt can argue that successfully

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't recommend it, but if your attendance is otherwise spot-on and you work PT in the hub you'll probably skate on it. Attendance is one of those things I typically cannot/will not defend but if you made arrangements to visit your family, they were green lit with you being given the okay, and then the rug gets pulled out from under you because your PT supervisor can't read a vacation schedule.. then Big Brown can chalk this one up to progressive discipline.

I would simply call in every day while on vacation and eat the write-ups when you come back to work, depending on how important the trip is to you. A lot of this depends on the attendance situation in your building, but you'd probably just wind up with a furious FT supervisor and a warning letter for attendance.

I would talk to your steward ASAP to get an idea of how lax they are with attendance in your building.Your mileage may vary, but someone would walk on this in my hub with a warning letter if their attendance was otherwise decent and they called in every day they were out. Out of curiosity, did another hourly overhear the supervisor telling you that you could have the week off?

Piedmont, you may want to go back and read the OP a bit more carefully. He is not on vacation---he requested and was granted permission to take an unpaid week. Yeah, it sucks that he went out and bought an airline ticket and was then told he couldn't have the time off, but he has little to no basis for a grievance when he doesn't have the time on the books to take the week off paid.

To the OP----check with your airline to see if you can receive credit for a future flight.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Piedmont, you may want to go back and read the OP a bit more carefully. He is not on vacation---he requested and was granted permission to take an unpaid week. Yeah, it sucks that he went out and bought an airline ticket and was then told he couldn't have the time off, but he has little to no basis for a grievance when he doesn't have the time on the books to take the week off paid.

To the OP----check with your airline to see if you can receive credit for a future flight.

I didn't misinterpret anything in his post. The advice I gave him was speculative; if he bangs out for a week, he's gambling with his job but at least now he knows how to hedge his bets.

There's no basis for a grievance, but I guarantee you if he had a signed/dated statement from another hourly that detailed the conversation regarding him missing the week in question that would be a mitigating circumstance if it came down to him trying to get his job back. If this was some random college kid whining about trying to go on Spring Break his first year, I might have responded a little bit differently. But clearly this is someone who lives several states away from his family and doesn't get to see them often. UPS shouldn't get to :censored2: that up for someone because a PT supervisor is too stupid to understand how to confirm things with his FT'er.

over9five

Staff member
I would have a meeting with this sup AND his boss. Tell him you made arrangements based on the sups word that you'd have the week off. Tell them you are taking the week as promised and you are holding the sup to his word.

moriar7y

I would have a meeting with this sup AND his boss. Tell him you made arrangements based on the sups word that you'd have the week off. Tell them you are taking the week as promised and you are holding the sup to his word.

Have your steward present, too.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS Preloader

Best answer above. Tell them, take the time off, deal with the consequences if there are any. Make sure your steward is present for everything.