Need info on Clerk/bid jobs

$killed Labor

there is another reason other then dishonesty for him to be coded into that position. If the guy is a skilled employee then you have to code him in a skilled job so that he gets his skilled pay.

yes and no

I know others that have went told the oms over time cards that the needed to be coded as a unloader. They still got the skilled pay and was coded a unloader. I don't know how all that stuff works though.

steamroll

yes and no

I know others that have went told the oms over time cards that the needed to be coded as a unloader. They still got the skilled pay and was coded a unloader. I don't know how all that stuff works though.
if you are already a skilled worker when do a unskilled job you still have to be paid as a skilled worker.

$killed Labor

True that they do, but they take clerks to unload and don't have them coded with the unload hours and stuff. So it makes their numbers look good. Done so many pieces with X amount of workers, etc. Cause clerks don't effect the local sort time.

Fredless

APWA Hater
have you filed that grievance yet? Write down the times, I use my left arm as my notepad for times that sups are doing hourly work while I'm perched up in the small sort.

If you're doing that stuff for 1 hour a night, thats 5 hours owed to you for seniority violations at double time that junior clerks were allowed to do your work.

$killed Labor

have you filed that grievance yet? Write down the times, I use my left arm as my notepad for times that sups are doing hourly work while I'm perched up in the small sort.

If you're doing that stuff for 1 hour a night, thats 5 hours owed to you for seniority violations at double time that junior clerks were allowed to do your work.

Well since that night, when i stood up for myself I haven't had to leave my area. I already got it filled out and ready to go(except the date) for the next time i go and unload.

Gukta

I work in the Atlanta area as a clerk doing pretty much the same thing as you $killed Labor.I am NOT getting paid as a skilled position although which I have been questioning.I've asked H.R managers and the local steward but they all say it is not a skilled position.

Btw, I feel your pain they pull me almost every other day to load/unload under clerk hours.

So to my question, Is being a clerk a skilled postion or not?
I talk to customers on the phone everyday that alone should put me in the skilled category shouldn't it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

$killed Labor

I work in the Atlanta area as a clerk doing pretty much the same thing as you Labor.I am NOT getting paid as a skilled position although which I have been questioning.I've asked H.R managers and the local steward but they all say it is not a skilled position.

Btw, I feel your pain they pull me almost every other day to load/unload under clerk hours.

So to my question, Is being a clerk a skilled postion or not?
I talk to customers on the phone everyday that alone should put me in the skilled category shouldn't it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Do you do Address corrections,process damages,over goods,RTS's also? For some reason at our center the FDC clerks do not get a $1 more on the hour for some reason, while us ESC clerks do.
What does your preload guys make do they make $1 more on the hour?

If they are pulling your under your clerk time, make sure you tell the oms in charge of the timecards the times you are on the unload and on clerk hours. That way it shows you on their precious numbers.
They think they can fudge the numbers and not hire anyone when they use clerks on our hours. Cause clerks have no part of the loacl sort hours.

Gukta

Yes, I do address corrections, process damages, overgoods, RTS's and I am even a hazmat responder *which I feel should get more pay as well but do not* I'm pretty sure the preloaders and the preload clerk make an extra dollar but am not sure.

I will start telling them to put me under local sort time when I sort instead of keeping me as a clerk but the main thing I'm worried about is not getting paid the extra money that I think the position deserves.Like I've said I have talked to a local steward, H.R, and the center manager but they all say it is not skilled.Who would be the best person to get in contact with to be sure that the information they are giving is correct?

Once again thanks for your quick and informative replies.

dillweed

At my center, as long as we are pt employees, they can put us wherever they want. If we are premium pay they must keep us as such, no matter where we work.

I've gone 'round and 'round with my steward about this because I've seen sign-up sheets for pt positions. He says they are not bid sheets but interest sheets and people are chosen by seniority and qualification to do the job.

If you have seniority and they need to send someone home you should have a right to go home. If you choose to stay you must take the work they have available.

Article 22, secton 4 of the new contract has interesting language concerning this sort of thing. It says "part time employees with six months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: preload, sorter, clerical, irregular traiin, designated responder, carwasher, loader and unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established".
Now, right below that section, in bold print it says "Part time employees with less than 6 months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the employer hiring from off-the-street."

The word "bid" is not well used here. They say we can't bid but yet we can? I think it means that they will let lower seniority employees request preferred jobs but the word "bid" could really screw things up. I'm 710 and will make noise about this to the steward before talks begin.

OK, now "unless a prior past practice has been established" Wow, antoher UPS grey area.

I've been around a long time and spent years on bullwork. Now I have a position that is a bit lighter and would hate to lose it. Can they put me where they want or is there an established practice of me being there? Two years seems established.

Sorry I've rambled but it seems they really can put us wherever they want. If they offer to let us go home and we turn it down we have to take what they have to offer. You could ask what you'd have to do if you stay and if it's bullwork, tell them you'll take the day off.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Skilled labor is in the Atlantic supplement and when I read over that supplement, it doesn't clearly define part time bid jobs.

Gukta is under the southern region supplement like me and our supplement CLEARLY defines what the bid jobs are, along with the master.

I don't know how the "centers" are allowed to do whatever they want but the hubs we have a chance to fight this. The contract, from what I've read, doesn't give a damn about being a local sort or a hub. Maybe I am missing something?

Before I bid into the hub from an ECS clerk job, I made sure I had my ducks in a row. I always sign the bid sheets, double checked with H.R. that I was BIDDING TO THE SMALL SORT, I got a copy of my signature on the sorter bid sheet which says (Including small sort).

Then I was in the small sort for 1 day, management on the reload shift insisted that the small sort was NOT a bid job and I was there because I was a good employee.

One grievance changed that, and it didn't go beyond myself and the full time hub supervisor settling it. I was sure the wannabee Hitler would push that crap to panel, but me showing him the language in the supplement and when he even bucked at that saying ours was a "local sort" bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, I argued we are a HUB COMPRISED OF THREE CENTERS, and I put that bid sheet on the desk...He said step outside for a minute, let me make a phone call...came back in the office shortly after with a "Company Agrees that the small sort is a bid job and all future positions will be awarded by a bid via seniority."

The guy has hated my guts since...but no one is just removed from the small sort because they are "slow" or management doesn't like them anymore.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
At my center, as long as we are pt employees, they can put us wherever they want. If we are premium pay they must keep us as such, no matter where we work.

I've gone 'round and 'round with my steward about this because I've seen sign-up sheets for pt positions. He says they are not bid sheets but interest sheets and people are chosen by seniority and qualification to do the job.

If you have seniority and they need to send someone home you should have a right to go home. If you choose to stay you must take the work they have available.

Article 22, secton 4 of the new contract has interesting language concerning this sort of thing. It says "part time employees with six months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: preload, sorter, clerical, irregular traiin, designated responder, carwasher, loader and unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established".
Now, right below that section, in bold print it says "Part time employees with less than 6 months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the employer hiring from off-the-street."
Hi DW, here in 705, we have the same language as the 02-08 NMA. That sentence they added would negate how I finally got out of loading. Early in 07 I tried to get my name on the "preferred jobs list", as the grapevine was telling me a clerk job might be opening. HR told me in fact they only kept a list for clerk jobs, other jobs were filled by full and part time mgmt. as they saw fit. Someone else got that job, my break didn't come til I saw the newest bulk driver had been put in that slot as a new hire. It took a local grievance panel decision to get me that job, even though it wasn't necessary to bump out that low seniority guy.
The word "bid" is not well used here. They say we can't bid but yet we can? I think it means that they will let lower seniority employees request preferred jobs but the word "bid" could really screw things up. I'm 710 and will make noise about this to the steward before talks begin.
Please go a step further and write to your BA and negotiating committees, with as many coworkers co-signing as possible, ASAP.
OK, now "unless a prior past practice has been established" Wow, antoher UPS grey area.
I believe "past practice" is a standard labor agreement clause, wouldn't worry about it to much, as it works both ways.
I've been around a long time and spent years on bullwork. Now I have a position that is a bit lighter and would hate to lose it. Can they put me where they want or is there an established practice of me being there? Two years seems established.

Sorry I've rambled but it seems they really can put us wherever they want. If they offer to let us go home and we turn it down we have to take what they have to offer. You could ask what you'd have to do if you stay and if it's bullwork, tell them you'll take the day off.

$killed Labor

Yes, I do address corrections, process damages, overgoods, RTS's and I am even a hazmat responder *which I feel should get more pay as well but do not* I'm pretty sure the preloaders and the preload clerk make an extra dollar but am not sure.

I will start telling them to put me under local sort time when I sort instead of keeping me as a clerk but the main thing I'm worried about is not getting paid the extra money that I think the position deserves.Like I've said I have talked to a local steward, H.R, and the center manager but they all say it is not skilled.Who would be the best person to get in contact with to be sure that the information they are giving is correct?

Once again thanks for your quick and informative replies.

Yeah I am a hazmat responder also. One of the international clerks is one also. Anytime he is doing Hazmat responder stuff he automaticly goes into the ECS code and gets $1 more per hour.

Page 241 Art 63 section 9 states: " Part-time clerical positions including in the bargaining unit as of 7/31/02 will be paid the preload/sorter rates". Preload used to get $1 more cause it was skilled work. They started out @9.50. They say now preload isn't a skilled job any more due to the pal system. Well i know at my center they have started out people in preload at $8.50. But it clearly says preload $9.50 in the contract. I don't know how they go agisnt the contract but they do it every day.

As far as i can tell for P/T employees, the contract is useless in our region. Our reps have no balls to stand up for us P/Ters. They just care for the friend/Ters.

Gukta, give your BA a call, and tell him you are not getting the extra $1. If your preload starts out @ 9.50 you should be awarded the $1 and the back pay with intrest.
I am not saying other jobs don't deserve skilled pay, but jobs such as small sort,clerks should have extra pay.
Being a ECS clerk sure isnt easy, and playing with hazmat spills isnt a fun shore either.
You know being a hazmat responder, all the crap we had to learn and how to process them though the DMP isnt much fun. If that isnt skilled right there i dont know what is.

dillweed

hondo - thanks for sharing! That was a weasely trick they tried to pull on you last year. Misleading words = misleading contract.

I have some ideas for our steward and will check into writing to the BA. I already spoken to some co-workers and they suggested writing something up and those interested sign it. Something I'd have to do quietly, that's for sure.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Yeah I am a hazmat responder also. One of the international clerks is one also. Anytime he is doing Hazmat responder stuff he automaticly goes into the ECS code and gets $1 more per hour.

Page 241 Art 63 section 9 states: " Part-time clerical positions including in the bargaining unit as of 7/31/02 will be paid the preload/sorter rates". Preload used to get $1 more cause it was skilled work. They started out @9.50. They say now preload isn't a skilled job any more due to the pal system. Well i know at my center they have started out people in preload at $8.50. But it clearly says preload $9.50 in the contract. I don't know how they go agisnt the contract but they do it every day.
You are under the atlantic supplement, Gukta and myself are under the southern region supplement.

Gukta, give your BA a call, and tell him you are not getting the extra $1. If your preload starts out @ 9.50 you should be awarded the $1 and the back pay with intrest.

No. Its clearly defined in our supplement which gets the skilled pay and who does not.

I am not saying other jobs don't deserve skilled pay, but jobs such as small sort,clerks should have extra pay.
Being a ECS clerk sure isnt easy,

The ECS job was CAKE compared to the small sort and sort aisle. Its all relative. Next time, you guys need to outcry for the clerk job to get the skilled pay. Unfortuneately, in the southern region PRELOADER/SORTER are the ONLY two jobs that are entitled to the skilled rate of pay. It is in black and white.

$killed Labor

You are under the atlantic supplement, Gukta and myself are under the southern region supplement.

No. Its clearly defined in our supplement which gets the skilled pay and who does not.

The ECS job was CAKE compared to the small sort and sort aisle. Its all relative. Next time, you guys need to outcry for the clerk job to get the skilled pay. Unfortuneately, in the southern region PRELOADER/SORTER are the ONLY two jobs that are entitled to the skilled rate of pay. It is in black and white.
I think Gukta is under the Atlantic area supplement? Right? I thought he said Atlantic, but he said Atlanta. N/M

Well that is weird, how the contracts are so different. Only skilled worked is Clerk and small sort at our center.Small sort was cake compared to ecs here. lol But then again difference between center is alot.

Then again they don't go by the book any mores.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Georgia falls under the southern region.

If they don't abide by the contract, thats y'alls fault for not filing on them.

The shop steward isn't the union
The B.A. isn't the union
nor is Hoffa the union.

You guys control the local officers.

The union is WE and what we allow.

$killed Labor

Georgia falls under the southern region.

If they don't abide by the contract, thats y'alls fault for not filing on them.

The shop steward isn't the union
The B.A. isn't the union
nor is Hoffa the union.

You guys control the local officers.

The union is WE and what we allow.

True, I am filing but one person wont make much a difference. Already been threaten and threaten time again. But oh well i'll be a thorn in their side.

Nothing worse than a good employee that is on time everyday,doesnt call in, and works as instructed. To many people are just scared. As long as you do the above you should fight for your rights.
Fredless I do appreciate all the info and making me more knowledgeable. Even though my BA doesnt back us, management does know that we are knowleging our rights, and it is helping some.
Its just that we have had a awesome local sup for so long, he didn't care about the numbers, he actually cared about us. So we all got to relaxed cause of him. Guess thats why he got transfered heh.Now things has changed with this new sup and people just don't know what to do. It will be a slow process but things will change. It will just take some time i suppose.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Keep beating the drum. Others will follow once they realize what the greivance procedure will do.

As I told you, if your new manager wasn't scared she'd just have the "see your ass at panel" attitude and walk away. When they get mad, they're scared.

jchalls

I don't know where you are located but, in the 2 hubs that I have worked in (SoCal), ecs clerks were not considered skilled workers. I know that we were at least as skilled as any preloader, but didn't get the extra $1.
I don't think that they can force you to work outside of your classification, if you don't want the extra hours, talk to your shop steward.