Net profit tripled

It will be fine

That’s what I’m saying, ACA is no help. The FedEx account to help with ins is what makes it possible to retire before 65, not the ACA.
Doesn’t sound like you ever shopped the individual market pre-ACA. It was not pretty, especially for older people too young for Medicare.

NC man

I did check few yrs ago what ACA would cost if no insurance through work, Very high. The point is pre ACA or now ,its unaffordable unless poor or low income. Im all for insurance for everyone but needs to be affordable for everyone and its not.

bacha29

My point is ACA is not affordable for all. If you make decent income but far from rich the premiums are ridiculous,key word affordable. The assumption was you should spend 10% of income on healthcare but that was based on gross income which none of get to keep of course. It ends up being about 25% of what you bring home.
Without the account Fed provides then I would be on hook for 900 month so the Dems ACA would be no help. Too expensive to retire until 65 and Medicare.
Have you ever gone online to your state's health insurance exchange? And subsidies are based on Adjusted Gross Income. Subsidies naturally phase out the higher the AGI. Remember too one of the things Biden has proposed is that people 55-64 can buy into Medicare. We all know how far that idea going to get in the Senate.

MassWineGuy

Out of curiosity, I looked at a few plans offered by my state. Of course, my wife and I have a moderately higher annual income than some. But middle class. The plans I saw had some awful deductibles and out of pocket maximums.

NC man

Have you ever gone online to your state's health insurance exchange? And subsidies are based on Adjusted Gross Income. Subsidies naturally phase out the higher the AGI. Remember too one of the things Biden has proposed is that people 55-64 can buy into Medicare. We all know how far that idea going to get in the Senate.
I have, as MWG said above the deductibles and max each yr out of pocket are pretty high if they come into play

bacha29

I have, as MWG said above the deductibles and max each yr out of pocket are pretty high if they come into play
You're just the kind of person Biden has in mind. Would like to retire but have to keep going to hold onto your health insurance. Allowing people 55-64 to buy into Medicare. Eventually it will be Medicare for all. And the cluckers and the "conservatives" will condemn and demonize the left while they're picking up the phone to sign up for it.

vantexan

You're just the kind of person Biden has in mind. Would like to retire but have to keep going to hold onto your health insurance. Allowing people 55-64 to buy into Medicare. Eventually it will be Medicare for all. And the cluckers and the "conservatives" will condemn and demonize the left while they're picking up the phone to sign up for it.
Or we'll just do without.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
As a conservative, I have no problem expanding Medicare for all, just so long as they don't increase taxes to pay for it. If you're young enough and healthy enough, you should be able to carry your own weight.

Remember, government NEVER does anything in a more efficient manner than the private sector does.

bacha29

As a conservative, I have no problem expanding Medicare for all, just so long as they don't increase taxes to pay for it. If you're young enough and healthy enough, you should be able to carry your own weight.

Remember, government NEVER does anything in a more efficient manner than the private sector does.
If Medicare a government run (and socialized) healthcare plan isn't the most efficient provider as you claim they why would you be in favor of it's expansion?
You see, there are conservatives and there are consercuks. Conservatives are more often than not in agreement with liberals on policy matters, the only difference is that they are more cautious and deliberative. Nothing wrong with that because everybody has at least some degree of reservation in them. Consercuks on the other hand are people who are just as greedy ( if not more) as anyone else when it comes to accessing public services. The difference is they don't want to have to pay anything into the kitty in order to support those services.

vantexan

But in the end you will reach a level of suffering to the point that you will seek healthcare wherever you can find it and from whomever can ease your suffering regardless of your ability to pay for it.
And that would be the same whether we have Medicare for all or not.

bacha29

And that would be the same whether we have Medicare for all or not.
And not getting paid is why hospitals have been forced to be absorbed into larger providers have services significantly reduced or close all together. 3+ million dollars of uncompensated care in one year is why my local community hospital had to allow itself to be taken over by a larger entity. It's still open but it capabilities are so badly stripped away that most people go to the next available hospital 55 miles away. That's if they don't die along the way.

NC man

I’m going to retire, regardless of what Biden does or doesn’t do. Waiting til 65? Nope

fatboy33

It’s a shame these uncertain times prohibit a step raise this year. Better luck in 2022!
Understand, if they wanted to top out an employee, it would happen. I wonder how many companies where it takes 20 years to reach top pay? Most places, you'd be 5 years away from calling it a career. If you're not topped out, its because they don't want you topped out. That's the reality.