In the end, who wins??? And at what cost?

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
No what is absurd is this company made a :censored2: ton of profits off of abusing people both as a classification and everyone during a pandemic and then wants to claim they can only afford a cost neutral contract. And if places like fast food can damn near double their pay without increasing costs or barely increasing prices.
Any way you cut it thisncompany is getting to be insanely greedy and out of touch in the upper reaches of corporate.

Fast wood wages shortly before the pandemic We’re closely aligned to minimum wage, 7.25.
In the same time frame, UPS wages were double minimum wage. Drivers were above market range. I don’t see a greedy corporation in terms of fair compensation for their employees. By market standards (and not our opinion), you’re over paid.

Just because you work here and UPS made billions in profit does not mean you’re entitled to those billions. You’re only entitled to your pay check. I never understood the teamsters logic. If you want profit sharing, then act like a partner instead. have the union make UPS reinvest their profits into technology and equipment that will lower operational cost year over year and demand profit sharing from the savings that investment created.

No stock buy backs, only reinvest.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
And they only raised this much with inflation and very recently and highly doubtful that the pay increase didn't almost 2 years later. Nice try though. You still can't explain why every 5 years the company is "broke" and wants a cost neutral contract yet the other 4 do just fine or even excel. A cost neutral contract is fine if a company isn't doing that great or even going downhill. That is not the case by far.
How about this, demand for better working conditions because the fight for better pay was won a long time ago. Now it’s the teamsters being greedy in wanting 25/hr PT pay and a increase to the already over paid drivers. what are you threading to strike for ? a bigger house, a boat, luxury cars cause it’s not work conditions or treatment. Those items were settled.

Pullman Brown

How about this, demand for better working conditions because the fight for better pay was won a long time ago. Now it’s the teamsters being greedy in wanting 25/hr PT pay and a increase to the already over paid drivers. what are you threading to strike for ? a bigger house, a boat, luxury cars cause it’s not work conditions or treatment. Those items were settled.

25 this year or 2028?

MostHelpNeeded

true.....and if the company loses money the money should be given back...incentives works both ways
He was saying we were only able to net 660 Million off of less than 4 billion as if it was a bad thing? That's where I was lost originally.

Now, with your response, I'm even more lost. Who said anything about losing money?

Undertow

UPS had around 80% of the US small package market in 97.
So, simply put, UPS delivered around 8 or if every 10 small packages.
Today, UPS delivers around 2 or 3 of every 10 small packages delivered. The current market leader is USPS, they got into the market heavy as email and online banking bill pay, etc decimated their first class mail bread and butter.

UPS' share has dwindled from 8 in 10 to around 3 in 10. Because, as the overall market has exploded due to online commerce, UPS was not competitive enough in largely price, to grab as much of that business as the competition has.
And how much better are the competition's future prospects compared to that of UPS despite gaining all that precious market share?

brownIEman

And how much better are the competition's future prospects compared to that of UPS despite gaining all that precious market share?
Much better. They have managed to gain the market share through lower pricing, but more so through flexibility in service.
UPS is more then 100 years old. Amazon logistics is less than 20 and is nearly as large, and is on pace to surpass UPS volume in the next couple years. The main reason Amazon went that direction was not price, but flexibility. Specifically 7 day a week delivery. UPS cannot match that.

brownIEman

And they only raised this much with inflation and very recently and highly doubtful that the pay increase didn't almost 2 years later. Nice try though. You still can't explain why every 5 years the company is "broke" and wants a cost neutral contract yet the other 4 do just fine or even excel. A cost neutral contract is fine if a company isn't doing that great or even going downhill. That is not the case by far.
A cost neutral contract seems appropriate for a company that is doing OK. UPS has a profit margin of around 10%, so they profit 10c for every dollar brought on. That's comfortable, but certainly not the crazy 50% margins the rail roads and other industries pull in.
Why do they cry poor every contract year when it's clearly bull pucky? Easy, negotiating leverage, same reason the IBT cries 'evil, greedy corporate swindlers' every contract year when that is also clearly bull pucky.

Brown Down

A cost neutral contract seems appropriate for a company that is doing OK. UPS has a profit margin of around 10%, so they profit 10c for every dollar brought on. That's comfortable, but certainly not the crazy 50% margins the rail roads and other industries pull in.
Why do they cry poor every contract year when it's clearly bull pucky? Easy, negotiating leverage, same reason the IBT cries 'evil, greedy corporate swindlers' every contract year when that is also clearly bull pucky.
And no right minded person is saying we want a crazy raise but look at it from our side. Record profits, everyone else got bonus's, raises and dividends, and then we get told sorry nothing left in the coffers for those that do the physical work. That is beyond insulting and you know it especially with everything these last 5 years have entailed.

UPSER1987

Fast wood wages shortly before the pandemic We’re closely aligned to minimum wage, 7.25.
In the same time frame, UPS wages were double minimum wage. Drivers were above market range. I don’t see a greedy corporation in terms of fair compensation for their employees. By market standards (and not our opinion), you’re over paid.

Just because you work here and UPS made billions in profit does not mean you’re entitled to those billions. You’re only entitled to your pay check. I never understood the teamsters logic. If you want profit sharing, then act like a partner instead. have the union make UPS reinvest their profits into technology and equipment that will lower operational cost year over year and demand profit sharing from the savings that investment created.

No stock buy backs, only reinvest.
They want none of the risks and enjoy all the profits. Talk about greed.

brownIEman

And no right minded person is saying we want a crazy raise but look at it from our side. Record profits, everyone else got bonus's, raises and dividends, and then we get told sorry nothing left in the coffers for those that do the physical work. That is beyond insulting and you know it especially with everything these last 5 years have entailed.
Hopefully you will get a decent offer, especially with a bump for pt.
However, this idea that the bonus paid to management is an insult is just pure b s IBT vitriolic propaganda. The company asked (read demanded) management to basically run the pandemic like an extended peak. All hands on deck, 70-80 hour weeks in some operations. For the guys who managed to skate under the radar putting in 35 hour weeks normally thrown into actual work of 65 hour weeks it must have been a shock. To add insult to injury, they were paid not one thin dime more for the 65 hour week than they were for the 35 hrs one.
Now, I'm sure you're thinking boo effn who, they chose a salary position they knew the deal, and you'd be 100% correct. The company, as it has in the past, recognized the extra, lesser compensated hours, management put in and gave them a small bonus as a show of appreciation.
If hourly are offended by that and find it as you say 'beyond insulting', boo effin who, you chose and negotiated an hourly deal and were paid extra for every extra hour you worked. Now you want your cake and to eat it to. Acting insulted that the Company recognized extra hours put in for salary employees and saying you should have gotten the bonus as well is hypocrisy of the highest order. You're on a different plan, so recognize that being insulted by that bonus is wanting to have your cake and eat it too, it's IBT kool-aid.

I'll also remind you that in '97 the company offered a bonus structure based on company profits. Back then, the company was profiting closer to 5c on the dollar. Had that offer been accepted, with current numbers full time drivers would likely be getting around 12-14K every other year, so about 6k/ year. Put another way, for someone working 2k hours per year that's equivalent to 3/hr raise. The IBT flat out rejected, and always has, any compensation tied directly to the financial success of the company.

In 2008/9 during the financial crises when volume dropped and all management had their salaries frozen, I don't recall any IBT employees complaining that they got their raises unfairly, that they should have shared the burden of lean times. Nor should they have. You are on a different, defined compensation plan, one that does not allow the company to force you to share the burden of lean times, nor does it obligate the company to share in lucrative times.

Last edited:

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
Hopefully you will get a decent offer, especially with a bump for pt.
However, this idea that the bonus paid to management is an insult is just pure b s IBT vitriolic propaganda. The company asked (read demanded) management to basically run the pandemic like an extended peak. All hands on deck, 70-80 hour weeks in some operations. For the guys who managed to skate under the radar putting in 35 hour weeks normally thrown into actual work of 65 hour weeks it must have been a shock. To add insult to injury, they were paid not one thin dime more for the 65 hour week than they were for the 35 hrs one.
Now, I'm sure you're thinking boo effn who, they chose a salary position they knew the deal, and you'd be 100% correct. The company, as it has in the past, recognized the extra, lesser compensated hours, management put in and gave them a small bonus as a show of appreciation.
If hourly are offended by that and find it as you say 'beyond insulting', boo effin who, you chose and negotiated an hourly deal and were paid extra for every extra hour you worked. Now you want your cake and to eat it to. Acting insulted that the Company recognized extra hours put in for salary employees and saying you should have gotten the bonus as well is hypocrisy of the highest order. You're on a different plan, so recognize that being insulted by that bonus is wanting to have your cake and eat it too, it's IBT kool-aid.

I'll also remind you that in '97 the company offered a bonus structure based on company profits. Back then, the company was profiting closer to 5c on the dollar. Had that offer been accepted, with current numbers full time drivers would likely be getting around 12-14K every other year, so about 6k/ year. Put another way, for someone working 2k hours per year that's equivalent to 3/hr raise. The IBT flat out rejected, and always has, any compensation tied directly to the financial success of the company.

In 2008/9 during the financial crises when volume dropped and all management had their salaries frozen, I don't recall any IBT employees complaining that they got their raises unfairly, that they should have shared the burden of lean times. Nor should they have. You are on a different, defined compensation plan, one that does not allow the company to force you to share the burden of lean times, nor does it obligate the company to share in lucrative times.
You're getting Pajetted

anonymous23456

The part time supervisor showed up
I don't know any part time sup personally except for a person in my training class 2 years ago. She apparently quit last time I checked. I don't know how much they get paid but it isn't a whole lot better than a manager at a McDonalds. I think the workload is worse comparing to McDonalds.

brownIEman

I think any employee that works here going to pandemics you get a little extra.

That beat me up so bad it was ridiculous.
We couldn't get stinking box of donuts but I'm glad management got a bonus out of the pandemic....
This still bothers me to this day
Management didn't get a bonus. They got a small token of appreciation acknowledging the fact their pay during that time when calculated by hours worked, went way, way down.
For most, the bonus did not come close to putting them back to even compared to their normal hourly pay rate. You were paid for every hour your worked and 1.5 times for every hour worked over 40 in a week. Your hourly rate did not go way, way down like it did for management.

I do agree every person who came in and gave a fair days work during the pandemic *should* have gotten a bonus as a show of appreciation. However, as has been demonstrated in the past with shift and hiring bonuses during peak, had UPS done that, some locals would without doubt filed grievances and threaten law suits if UPS tried to do that as a one time thing and not made it a part of regular compensation. Zero doubt. The reality is the company must factor that expensive headache in when considering such gestures.