Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime

More and more as this digital download stuff evolves I consider dumping DirectTv and get my tv elsewhere.

Anyone have any experience with any or all of these and what is your opinion?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I eliminated cable several years ago in favor of streaming TV over the Internet. The bad news is that more and more content is becoming restricted to cable/satellite subscribers, but the good news is that if somebody's willing to share their account information with you, you can log onto all of these sites as there's little safe guard. I use to subscribe to Nextflix but discovered that there's too much entertainment to stream for free (well, if you have the account info) that it was unnecessary. For select shows I like to watch but aren't available to stream, I buy iTunes gift cards on sale ($80-$85 for $100 typically) and buy them from iTunes. BTW, I recommend the Lenovo Q190 as a HTPC -- I recently "upgraded" to it (about $225-$250 on the 'net) and it has little issue streaming content while using noticeably little power, making little noise and generating little heat.

(I should add that I'm not a movie person. When I was in HS, I always perceived going to the movies to being a chore one did just to get laid).

curiousbrain

Netflix is OK, for direct streaming. The thing with Netflix (again, online only, not DVD) is that they don't tend to have the premium stuff - which is to say that the major network shows/blockbuster movies don't show up on the instant streaming for awhile, if ever. It's gotten a little better over the past year or so, but then again, it's like 8 bucks I think and you can watch whatever you want.

I tend to enjoy a little campiness, and am a huge Anime fan, and Netflix instant has both of those in spades.

Amazon Instant Video I use alot; I am not a Prime member, for no particular reason, but I buy most of my instant stuff from Amazon. I could download it for free from the latest torrent site, but I am conscious of the grand cycle, and I will give my money to support a show/movie/studio/etc I like. Also, Amazon reviews tend to be plentiful, which allows me to make up my mind before I pay money - and, the quality is very good; the HD stuff is in a higher price bracket (way higher), but if you are into that sort of thing, it is there.

Also, you can rent stuff for a decent amount of time (some stuff 1 day, other stuff 1 week) for a measly 3 bones. The selection is massive, too ... rare is it I can't find what I want to watch on Amazon.

I use Hulu for the free stuff; won't pay them money. Also, most of what is on Hulu is on Amazon - and I just prefer Amazon; I will price shop, though.

As always, though, check youtube/Hulu (free) and other video sites before you pay on any of these sites; it's amazing what you can find for free with a little effort.

As to my overall opinion about it, I have basic cable because my dog likes to watch CNN, the Weather channel, etc; the TV's been on for probably five years. I never watch TV, everything I watch is online, sitting in front of my God Machine, otherwise known as a computer. My brother and his old lady don't have any cable, they have a little netbook that streams from the internet to their TV, and they seem quite happy - they watch almost everything for free.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Gave up cable four months ago. No movie channels and was costing me $103.00 a month.
Put an antennae on the roof. That gets me all the local channels in HD.
Use daughters Netflix account number. Thanks kiddo.
Amazon Prime member. I never watch it. Love the "free" 2nd day shipping.
Hulu +. That's how I watch most of my prime time shows. $7.99 a month.
I download shows that Hulu doesn't carry. Walking Dead, Big Bang.

I don't miss cable or the $100 a month.

That's my boat. I'm paying about $120 a month for the upper mid level program package (no movies) but the rest is fees for additional dvr's, etc. Then the pisser is I go through the program guide and figure I watch maybe a tenth of all the channels. The rest is crap. So......instead of dvr's to watch when I want (more like when I can) why not pull it off the net when I want it.

TV shows like TWD I've bought as subscriptions from iTunes and have to keep.

As far as antennas, do you have the ones that mount in the attic?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We've got Netflix and Amazon prime, stream from Netflix fairly often and Amazon on occasion both through a Sony blu-ray player. Both stream in HD with 5.1 sound and the video quality is about the same imho (not quite blu-ray quality but clearly better than DVD). We use Netflix more mainly because the menus are easier to manage and navigate, both online and through the blu-ray player although Amazon is improving in that regard and it might soon be a wash. No real experience with Hulu as it's mostly TV shows and we're more into movies.

We've got Netflix and Amazon prime, stream from Netflix fairly often and Amazon on occasion both through a Sony blu-ray player. Both stream in HD with 5.1 sound and the video quality is about the same imho (not quite blu-ray quality but clearly better than DVD). We use Netflix more mainly because the menus are easier to manage and navigate, both online and through the blu-ray player although Amazon is improving in that regard and it might soon be a wash. No real experience with Hulu as it's mostly TV shows and we're more into movies.

I have AppleTv's throughout the house and the Hulu and Netflix are staring me in the face from the menu page tempting me with their services.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
For most people (that don't live in the boonies), overpowered roof top antennas are completely unnecessary. Sure, I'd triple (or quadruple) the number of channels I receive, but the additional programming is either redundant, religious in nature or specialty (targeted toward blacks & latinos, for example) I was watching an urban, minority-targeted program on one of those channels (received when the wind was blowing right I guess) earlier this year, and it was about how you could get out of a 30%+ interest rate on a car and into one below 30%. Like watching a train wreck -- you don't want to watch, but...

I watch Netflix, and I am happy with it. I am enjoying watching the old series of shows that I never considered watching before. Such as Jericho, and Breaking Bad. Now I get to choose what times they come on. Then there are so many movies to pick from. It is much cheaper than constantly surfing Dish TV looking for something to watch...which drives me nuts!

moreluck

golden ticket member
You really don't need special services when all you are looking for is the soft glow to fall asleep in front of.

For most people (that don't live in the boonies), overpowered roof top antennas are completely unnecessary. Sure, I'd triple (or quadruple) the number of channels I receive, but the additional programming is either redundant, religious in nature or specialty (targeted toward blacks & latinos, for example) I was watching an urban, minority-targeted program on one of those channels (received when the wind was blowing right I guess) earlier this year, and it was about how you could get out of a 30%+ interest rate on a car and into one below 30%. Like watching a train wreck -- you don't want to watch, but...

The other thing about an antenna is running the cables.......unless someone makes one that can be set up wireless? (googling).

I'm an hour out of Chicago, technically in the semi-boonies, and I haven't needed seen antenna tv since I was......10?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The other thing about an antenna is running the cables.......unless someone makes one that can be set up wireless? (googling).

I'm an hour out of Chicago, technically in the semi-boonies, and I haven't needed seen antenna tv since I was......10?

I live in a detached, single family home but in a co-op; my home was built in the mid-1970s and has cable-like outlets to hook-up TVs to a rooftop antenna. So I tried that set-up for awhile, until my co-op association sued me (rooftop antennas no longer allowed) and I had to fork over a pair of paychecks to cover that nasty letter they had sent to me; I replaced the set-up with a very small antenna booster on my roof (boosts the strength of bunny ears). Honestly, it worked just as well -- the only channels I lost were the ones that marginally / inconsistently came in with the rooftop antenna.

The quality of digital, antenna-based TV is very good. And I enjoy watching the digital substations -- most of the programming is ancient, but I've never seen Alfred Hitchcock, All in the Family or Sanford and Son & find them to be entertaining. The only thing that sucks is that the programming is inconsistent -- digital substations come and go. In the last few months, we've lost ABC News Now, Cool TV (showed actual music videos) and a 90s-orientated substation that showed Married w/Children, Home Improvement, etc.

Last year I found out that it's actually cheaper to bundle Comcast internet with basic cable than it is to subscribe to just internet. They include TBS and WGW with basic cable, and if you ask for a converter box, you get OWN as well. It's what I've been using in lieu of antennas.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
That might be a hitch. Snowballs chance the Mrs will let me detract from the appearance of "her" house.

I had to run a couple of inconspicuous wires to a telephone pole. I don't think it detracts from the looks of my home at all.

stock-photo-4248715-phone-line-mess-in-shanghai-china.jpg

texan

I have Amazon Prime. I do not watch too much of it, but my wife loves that I can "buy" Army Wives season 2012
and she can watch the whole season on our Panasonic DVD Blue Ray player and TV.

I personally liked Netflix as they seemed to have more movies I liked, but I did not search
all of Amazon either.

Netflix is better at grouping movies, and looking at what you pick, and have good suggestions of
what you might like.

I stopped Netflix, as Amazon fits my wife's desires and I really have not watched a movie in a while.

Last one I opted for was the great Denzel Washington (what an actor) in Flight.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime and wish I never did. Even though I paid the $79 in December I still have to pay for most of the dvds I want to watch. For instance Weeds, etc. The cost is almost just like if I went out and bought the DVD. Now I also subscribe to both streaming and to receiving DVDs in the mail. I just finished watching all of season 5 of True Blood and have The Newsroom Season 1 in my queue. Also place the first season of Homeland in my queue. Two or three episodes on each disk. I think it is great. Just have to wait for a solid year when the season 3 starts to be able to get season 2. I only use HULU for free, lately, I have been watching Siberia on Hulu because it is on the same time as Under the Dome. You can watch most TV episodes for free on Hulu. Amazon has started charging a fee to watch TV episodes. That sucks, should be included in Prime.
I also have Time Warner Cable, the whole setup of phone, digital TV and Internet. With that I can watch all my TV and on demand online so anything I can get there I don't have to go to any of the above 3 to watch. Just don't have the premium channels, too expensive.