Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public...

Sound off on the idiotic things people ask you all day long. Browniehound touched on this in the A/C thread, so instead of derailing that I figured I'd make a new one. I'll start off with one old standard and one that makes me want to cause them harm....

1- "What is it?" How the friend%@# should I know lady? It looks like a BOX to me. Can YOU see through it? I certainly can't. I swear that on the day I'm going to retire if anyone asks me that question I'm going to rip open the box and see what it is.

2- After you've released a package at the front door, walked 30 yards down the the driveway and are preparing to drive away, they step out on the porch and yell... "Do you need a signature for this??" Yeah maroon, that's why I left it on your porch and I'm about to drive away. I need you to sign for it. Thanks for reminding me.

I could go on but I'll let the rest of you vent. Should be entertaining. :thumbup1:

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Sound off on the idiotic things people ask you all day long. Browniehound touched on this in the A/C thread, so instead of derailing that I figured I'd make a new one. I'll start off with one old standard and one that makes me want to cause them harm....

1- "What is it?" How the friend%@# should I know lady? It looks like a BOX to me. Can YOU see through it? I certainly can't. I swear that on the day I'm going to retire if anyone asks me that question I'm going to rip open the box and see what it is.

2- After you've released a package at the front door, walked 30 yards down the the driveway and are preparing to drive away, they step out on the porch and yell... "Do you need a signature for this??" Yeah maroon, that's why I left it on your porch and I'm about to drive away. I need you to sign for it. Thanks for reminding me.

I could go on but I'll let the rest of you vent. Should be entertaining. :thumbup1:

my answer to 1: " i didn't get a chance to open it yet, so i don't know what's in it."

DS

Fenderbender
This thread is similar to many weve had here...
I think one was called stupid things customers say...
but I`ll bite...how about...are you going to be in the area awhile?

DS

Fenderbender
A hot babe that ask`s " if I`m married" or " please come back after my husband leaves".
Raw I believe you are trying to be funny again.
The other night in the chat you mentioned that even
though you were on holidays,you might work a day or two
because your wife(gf)...thought you should.
you have to realize we are not an easy crowd.

SmithBarney

My new favorite is while your "sorting" or whatever in the back... you hear a
voice that says "have anything for me?" make sure you answer "YES!"
they'll be amazed...

When they ask "what is it?" I usually say "it's a brown box," or "it'a a white box." "Just wait until I leave before you open it incase it is ticking"

upsgrunt

How about when its 100 degrees in the shade, you go in somewhere, sweat is dripping off your nose, ears, and elbows and they ask "is is hot out?"
NO, I can't get my sinus's to quit running!

I like it when a customer says "you're late" at 1 o'clock....I'm not going to dig through 300 pkgs. to look for one ground pkg. They get 3 a week and they arn't even a pick up account.

JustTired

free at last.......
How about "Is it a box full of money?"

To which I respond: " If it was, do you think I'd deliver it?"

or to the "What is it?"

"I don't know. I didn't have time to open it today."

browniehound

Guyinbrown,
Man, have you opened a can of worms. When customers say "what is it?" has to be the most annoying thing to me. They must think we have a list of all our packages and where they were shipped from. Why else would they be so stupid as to ask what it is? I mean, they are the one recieving the delivery, why the heck would I have a better idea than them about what it is?

Another thing I find more amusing than irritating is doing house calls and you leave the package, ring the bell, and they come out and they look at the package like "what the heck is this?" My helper picked up on this on his own last peak and we laughed everytime someone had a puzzled look on their face when we dropped something off.

I know this is against the methods, but when its summer and I'm on quiet streets, I don't ring doorbells (If they can't hear a large brown truck rumbling through their neiborhood than they won't hear a doorbell). I don't like to ring bells because I want to get off their property ASAP and if I ring the bell people are more prone to come out and want to shoot the breeze with me. Mind you, this is at 6:10 at night when they are already home from work and I'm trying to get home from work.

Let's face it, people know the sound of the UPS truck and they know the approximate time their driver comes by. So when people complain that I didn't ring the bell, I think they just want to complain about something. I'm not talking about during the winter when all the windows are closed or its raining. I always ring then. I'm talking summer time when everyone is outdoors and everyone knows when a car or truck is driving down their street.