New backing rules

Work right slow and safe

did anyone have to sign the new backing rules ?

The new one added to my center is if you must back at a resi stop you must call the center first- what the hell on my cell phone that I pay for ??? what do you all thinks about this new rule

We had the same thing here it lasted one day they got sick of the calls and had alot of drivers walking off 500ft drives. Then poof you never heard another word.

over9five

Staff member
Work as Directed.
Send a text message asking permission. Wait for reply.
Repeat 40 times per day.
They will soon tire of this and everything should return to normal.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well for sure I wouldn`t be using my personal phone.
nope, use diad or customers phone.

guys, do what over9 posted. you work as instructed. let them worry about the problems those instructions cause.

too long have ups sups made demands and shifted the responsibility onto the driver. as a result, too many drivers have been fired, trying to make those demands work by using their own initiatives. dont do it.

they make the rules, we work by them. let them figure out why there is a problem. pretty soon, they will figure out the system of cause and effect.

d

over9five

Staff member
You got to be kidding. I would be out till midnight if I had to call everytime I needed to back up at a resi.

I don't think he was kidding.

I'm not. The best way to show them how stupid this is, is to do it exactly how they want. I wouldn't use my cellphone for this foolishness, but I would be happy to send a DIAD message and wait for the response. Expect to be out till Midnight the first time, but it should be all fixed after that.

UPSGUY72

Your center added that becasue they figured that you wouldn't call becasue it would be fast to just find another way without backing. In a perfect world that UPS management thinks exists we wouldn't have to ever backup however in the real would we have to back up even in Resi areas. It going to really suck when you have a lot of dead end streets that you go down. I would call in everytime using my DIAD and wait for an answer after they get about 100 messages in the first hour or two that they have to answer they might change there tune.

Re-Raise

I would be interested to hear what the management people on this site think of this.

Do you really believe we are incapable of making these types of decisions?

Do you feel your superior skills and training allow you to better assess the possible dangers from an office?

Maybe we should call in before going up porch steps? Sometimes they are slick and people could fall.

I agree with Over on this one. Send a message via the board stating you need permission to back at a resi stop, and also mention you will not move the truck until you receive instructions from the center. When they ignore the message, and they will, it's on them. You worked as instructed.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
In effort to save one of my "partners" from his/her own stupidity. You have my permission to back. DO NOT CALL ME or the center. Do me one favor....make sure you frickin don't hit anything!! Love Dragon

barnyard

KTM rider
I back less than 15 times a day. Today, I backed into one driveway to avoid growing around the block to turn around. If that's what they expect, it will add less than 5 minutes to my day.

Do some of you really back up more than 40 times a day?????

Re-Raise

I deliver to probably 60 rural stops a day and 50 in town. I probably back to 5 docks a day.

If you are running down a street in town of course you don't need to back. Of the 60 rural deliveries very few have circle drives. Almost all of them require some type of backing.. whether it be to get off the highway or to turn around at the house. I have done it for 20 years and never backed into anything yet.

Now about those porch steps.....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The new one added to my center is if you must back at a resi stop you must call the center first- what the hell on my cell phone that I pay for ??? what do you all thinks about this new rule

First off, you don't have to sign anything that isn't mandated by the DOT.
Secondly, the rest has already been covered in this thread and many before it.
It is funny though, what will they think of next?

I deliver to probably 60 rural stops a day and 50 in town. I probably back to 5 docks a day.

If you are running down a street in town of course you don't need to back. Of the 60 rural deliveries very few have circle drives. Almost all of them require some type of backing.. whether it be to get off the highway or to turn around at the house. I have done it for 20 years and never backed into anything yet.

Now about those porch steps.....
I'm on a rural route also and we have telamatics. They tell us to reduce backing and I adhere to it I walk alot more but it also takes longer and it decreases my chance at a backing accident. I think all the extra walking is great and my heart will thank them down the road. Just work as directed its what they want and they always know whats best.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Does this mean I have to drive to the nearest phone to find out if it's okay?

I back less than 15 times a day. Today, I backed into one driveway to avoid growing around the block to turn around. If that's what they expect, it will add less than 5 minutes to my day.

I haven't backed into any driveways since last April. I only back into loading docks and pull to the side door at Lowes. I will not be losing my safe driving years, (which I only count for myself, as I don't really care about the trinkets or recognition), over some leaked oil or what have you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Does this mean I have to drive to the nearest phone to find out if it's okay?

I haven't backed into any driveways since last April. I only back into loading docks and pull to the side door at Lowes. I will not be losing my safe driving years, (which I only count for myself, as I don't really care about the trinkets or recognition), over some leaked oil or what have you.

Come run some of the routes I see weekly and we'll see how long your no backing into driveways rule lasts. LOL!

Re-Raise

I think all the extra walking is great and my heart will thank them down the road.

The next thing we will sign will be "how to reduce walking" and avoid slips and falls.:happy2:

They told us yesterday that because of the ice we should just shuffle our feet.