New backing rules

Dustyroads

I deliver in a very rural area, on rural routes it's not very practical to park "out on the street" and walk it off. Sometimes houses in the country have a big "parking" area and one doesn't have to back. Sometimes one has to back. As another post said, I've done it for 30 years and never backed into anything.

It reminds me of an event a long time ago. Early in the day, within my first 4 or 5 stops, I lost reverse gear in a Ford Econoline bubbletop that I was driving. So, I didn't back all day. Believe me, it took a lot of extra time. Try it some day.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I would be interested to hear what the management people on this site think of this.

Can't speak for all management people, but this seems like a stupid request. I can't imagine any management team having the time to seriously evaluate and approve every resi back. Although seemingly crazy, I do recommend that you follow instructions using the messaging capability of the DIAD.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I deliver in a very rural area, on rural routes it's not very practical to park "out on the street" and walk it off. Sometimes houses in the country have a big "parking" area and one doesn't have to back. Sometimes one has to back. As another post said, I've done it for 30 years and never backed into anything.

It reminds me of an event a long time ago. Early in the day, within my first 4 or 5 stops, I lost reverse gear in a Ford Econoline bubbletop that I was driving. So, I didn't back all day. Believe me, it took a lot of extra time. Try it some day.
I lost the reverse in my personal truck and this is the only time my training ever did me good. I knew how to drive to not need it.

over9five

Staff member
I lost the reverse in my personal truck and this is the only time my training ever did me good. I knew how to drive to not need it.

I had an old F150 when I was a kid. Got stuck in the snow, and in the process of rocking it out the manual tranny got stuck in reverse. Unable to "avoid backing", I had to back 10 miles home!

Dustyroads

I had a very similar situation, over, errr..well sort of. My Dad had the habit of checking the mileage of his car when I would borrow it when I first started driving. Some kids and I were out having too much fun, and we got a few too many miles on it. So, I backed two guys home at the end of the evening, and most of the way home. I think his miles per gallon were down a little on that tank.

The old three on the tree Ford bubbletop I drove would get stuck between gears or in gear. You'd have to get your bricks out and block the front wheel, crawl under the drivers side, move the linkage pieces until it was in neutral and then get out, put shifter in gear, remove bricks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a very similar situation, over, errr..well sort of. My Dad had the habit of checking the mileage of his car when I would borrow it when I first started driving. Some kids and I were out having too much fun, and we got a few too many miles on it. So, I backed two guys home at the end of the evening, and most of the way home. I think his miles per gallon were down a little on that tank.

Ferris, did you enjoy your day off?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I used to think that miles on the odometer always went forward no matter what direction you went in, until I recently backed up about 2 blocks in a secluded resi area. I won't be backing up that much anymore.:knockedout:

barnyard

KTM rider
until I recently backed up about 2 blocks in a secluded resi area.

In our area, long backs like that are flagged by a telematics report. Someone than overlays the backing path on a google earth map to illustrate when not to back.

One of the examples was a metro guy that backed into every driveway in a 6 stop delivery sequence. All of the stops were in a condo complex and there was easy street parking available.

I would hope that most of us would agree that those kinds of backs are asking for an accident.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In our area, long backs like that are flagged by a telematics report. Someone than overlays the backing path on a google earth map to illustrate when not to back.

One of the examples was a metro guy that backed into every driveway in a 6 stop delivery sequence. All of the stops were in a condo complex and there was easy street parking available.

I would hope that most of us would agree that those kinds of backs are asking for an accident.
We don't have telematics around these parts, LOL, I sound like a true southerner when I say that. I once asked my supe when we would be getting telematics. He looked at me like a dog when you ask if it wants a treat.

2131.jpg

This area where I backed up is a wide open area with empty lots waiting for houses to be built upon them. I think I could drive for about 5 city blocks with my eyes closed without hitting something. Not that I would ever do that, mind you.:happy2:

tourists24

I think I could drive for about 5 city blocks with my eyes closed without hitting something. Not that I would ever do that, mind you.:happy2:
Be very careful before making this assumption STUG.... this scene comes to mind when I think of what you just stated

[video=youtube;NyYc2BpYNL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYc2BpYNL4&feature=related[/video]

JonFrum

It's dangerous to back, especially in residential areas where children may be around. Package cars should be equipted with an audable backing alarm. I suggest the voice of Moe Howard repeatedly saying, "Nacky! Wacky! Come backy." :happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
while this is something that is not nationwide, i can not comment on the reason for the local centers requirements.

i do know there was a time frame of about 18 months a while back where we did back over a child in three accidents, resulting in three dead children. there might have been something like that occur

or damage to a driveway done by a driver, either ours or someone elses. here there was a huge push a few years back when a fedex driver did damage, and the owner thought it was ours. multiple thousands dollars of damage, so for a while, no cars on private drives.

that lasted about two days.

bottom line, you are paid to follow instructions. failure to follow instructions when they do not violate safety issues, is a termination offense if you are a repeat offender.

so regardless of the stupidity of the instruction, work as instructed to cover your behind.

make the overtime, let them worry about the service issues.

d

Tiny Panda

I back less than 15 times a day. Today, I backed into one driveway to avoid growing around the block to turn around. If that's what they expect, it will add less than 5 minutes to my day.

Do some of you really back up more than 40 times a day?????

Yes, virtually all my resi roads are dead ends with no room to turn without backing. We are not blessed with wide roads in the UK. I think the highest we had in our centre when they fitted sensors to the vehicles was 187 backs in one day from a guy who did industry around Heathrow Airport.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yes, virtually all my resi roads are dead ends with no room to turn without backing. We are not blessed with wide roads in the UK. I think the highest we had in our centre when they fitted sensors to the vehicles was 187 backs in one day from a guy who did industry around Heathrow Airport.
I don't think backing is the problem. It's the unecessary backing that's the problem.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would be interested to hear what the management people on this site think of this.

Do you really believe we are incapable of making these types of decisions?

Do you feel your superior skills and training allow you to better assess the possible dangers from an office?

Maybe we should call in before going up porch steps? Sometimes they are slick and people could fall.

Good points Re-Raise.
1. They have a dog, and it may get me, then Id be hurt, what should I do?
2. In this neighborhood I would be safer not to go in at all, I could get robbed, shot, raped, assaulted, How about I sit here, you call them to come to me, and everyones safer.
3. The weatherman said people should stay in, possibility of exposure, etc., what should we do? Did you miss that announcement? Its not safe for us.
4. The Highway patrol said people should stay off the roads, so why are we on them?
This could be fun, but in all seriousness, backing accidents, all accidents will happen.
A phone call isnt going to stop it. Go around the block again, Find a place to make a u turn, I walk very long drives. As long as I know its clear of dogs, just to keep them off my butt.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "quota mentality" is rearing its ugly head here.

Management has been instructed to reduce backing by x percent. So this is what the goal is.

Its not about safety...its about reducing a number that is printed out on a report.

Backing was the flavor of the week when we first implemented Telematics last year. We did get some useful information, and I think we wre successful in reducing the number of backs. Once it stopped being the flavor of the week, however, we stopped worrying about it and found some other statistic to focus on.

I am all for making reductions when possible, but the reality is that backing will always be necessary and to instruct us to "call in" before backing, or to reduce backs by some arbitrary number, is nothing more than standard UPS corporate micromanagement.