New CBS show: Undercover Boss

Box_Junkie

If you haven't seen this show it is great! The CEO's of various companies go undercover within there own company to see what its like and then they make some changes... I know it won't happen but I would LOVE to see Scott Davis on this show. Its on Sundays at 9pm Eastern time, CBS. So far they have showed Waste Management, and Hooters. Next week is 7-eleven. At least check out the show clips on the website. Here is the link: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/undercover_boss/

All Day

The other shows are at White Castle and Churchhill Downs. I wonder whats companies they asked to be a part of the show...

UPS would have been a good watch...

beentheredonethat

i think the ceo of ups should go on that show.find out it's not a 9-5 like his hours are.

You are nuts if you think Scott Davis works 9-5 hours. His job never stops. He's the CEO of a company that is in every time zone in the world. There is no off time. I've met him, and it's not unusual for him to work 14 hour days. He constantly flies to meet with large customers, and he does it on a regular passenger jet, not a company jet. He's the first CEO that we've had that didn't start from the small pkg world. But if you think about it, UPS in the last 20 years took on lots of new companies, IImorrow, Overnight, Fritz just to mention a few. Why shouldn't the people who started their have a shot at being a CEO. How many other companies have so many people in Sr Mgmt (Dist Mgrs, Region Mgrs and above) that started and worked in hourly positions at UPS. Compared to other companies in the fortune 500, I'm willing to be we are at least in the top 1%. If not number one in this regard.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
You are nuts if you think Scott Davis works 9-5 hours. His job never stops. He's the CEO of a company that is in every time zone in the world. There is no off time. I've met him, and it's not unusual for him to work 14 hour days. He constantly flies to meet with large customers, and he does it on a regular passenger jet, not a company jet. He's the first CEO that we've had that didn't start from the small pkg world. But if you think about it, UPS in the last 20 years took on lots of new companies, IImorrow, Overnight, Fritz just to mention a few. Why shouldn't the people who started their have a shot at being a CEO. How many other companies have so many people in Sr Mgmt (Dist Mgrs, Region Mgrs and above) that started and worked in hourly positions at UPS. Compared to other companies in the fortune 500, I'm willing to be we are at least in the top 1%. If not number one in this regard.
[video=youtube;nfHOQAT0-Mk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk[/video]

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I'm no fan of Mr. Davis, but I agree that he works a lot of hours. All our CEO's have. When Mike Eskew was CEO, the poor guy had a schedule you wouldn't believe. (Mike started on the preload in Lafayette, IN, when he was a student at Purdue, BTW.) In 2001, when UPS was given the "Spirit of America" award by United Way, the award gig was in Indianapolis. Mike's schedule was so tight, he had his brother come see him that day, since that was the only time they had to get together in a long while. And Mike STILL took time to greet EVERY ONE of the UPSers that were at the United Way ceremony.

Compared to other companies, our management is still more in tune with reality than most. I just with they'd tell Wall Street to go pound sand, and get back to long-term management thinking.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I think that UPS participating in this show would be pretty bad for the corporate side. Thats all that needs to be said about that.

I'm not sure about that. The trend for the show seems to be that the CEO comes out looking like the good guy.

I want to see the episode where the CEO tells the hourly employee "yes, I cut off your raise and 401(k) match, and raised your benefit cost, and am about to eliminate thousands of jobs including yours, and demote others, but that's what must be done for me to keep making my millions."

helenofcalifornia

There is no way that guy would ever work undercover for UPS. He would be getting an earful where ever that boy went. There are a lot of people that would love to tell him how things have changed to the bad. And since he is beholding to the stockholders, I sincerely doubt there is anything he could do.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not sure about that. The trend for the show seems to be that the CEO comes out looking like the good guy.

I want to see the episode where the CEO tells the hourly employee "yes, I cut off your raise and 401(k) match, and raised your benefit cost, and am about to eliminate thousands of jobs including yours, and demote others, but that's what must be done for me to keep making my millions."

I said the corporate side would take a huge hit. Not just the CEO. If he were to work as a driver one of two things would happen.

1) Management would attempt to hide what really goes on (much like they do for an OJS or any other ride along) by sending him out with a perfect load and near perfect dispatch but he'd also be sent out on a cake route. His NDA stops would be light and all of his pick ups would be on area. Get the picture?

2) He'd have to experience things like the rest of us do on a daily basis. The viewers would quickly notice how things REALLY are at UPS but the CEO would experience the biggest shock. Record amounts of contract violations, unreasonable expectations by IE and supervisors, and the fact that our success is measured strictly by reading spreadsheets rather than customer satisfaction would be a major eye opener.

TheDick

I said the corporate side would take a huge hit. Not just the CEO. If he were to work as a driver one of two things would happen.

1) Management would attempt to hide what really goes on (much like they do for an OJS or any other ride along) by sending him out with a perfect load and near perfect dispatch but he'd also be sent out on a cake route. His NDA stops would be light and all of his pick ups would be on area. Get the picture?

2) He'd have to experience things like the rest of us do on a daily basis. The viewers would quickly notice how things REALLY are at UPS but the CEO would experience the biggest shock. Record amounts of contract violations, unreasonable expectations by IE and supervisors, and the fact that our success is measured strictly by reading spreadsheets rather than customer satisfaction would be a major eye opener.

So today will be 7-elevens CEO. I think that will be an eye opener.:red_india

JustTired

free at last.......
I watched for the first time last night (Whitecastle). Kind of a neat show....but......

This is TV. Just how much is based in reality and not actually scripted? I have my doubts.

One thing that did strike me, whether true or not, was his statement at the end. I'm paraphrasing here....."when I look at the numbers, I'll put a face to them and think about how it actually effects those I met." This, to me, would be the sign of a true leader. Not only what a change means to the company as a whole....but what it will mean for those individuals who make up the company. There has to be a balance somewhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
looked to me like the only bad employee he ran into was a supervisor who had let her job go to her head----------------------Upsocks- was that your mother?:happy2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I really wanted to see Jimbo, the mgr. at Hooter's get fired. I can't believe he would be able to change his ways.