CoSpgsDriverLJ

Colorado Springs New to UPS
I just started progression three weeks ago. I haven’t made scratch once yet. I follow all the methods as closely as possible and I work as efficiently as I possibly can. My route, for the most part stays the same, however they’re always having me close out the UPS store, which easily adds another 45 mins to my day. I’ve been asked to do other extras as well like the Amazon warehouse and extra pick ups.
Is the UPS store part of the route??.. because I was told I shouldn’t have it while I’m trying to qualify. I don’t mind doing anything they tell me to do, I’m there to get the job done!!.. but I’ve had several other drivers tell me that anytime they have you doing “extras”, you’re automatically qualified and so I don’t have to run scratch and all that.. is this true? I don’t want to qualify based on some silly loophole, I want to earn it!! Any advice??

Thebrownblob

I just started progression three weeks ago. I haven’t made scratch once yet. I follow all the methods as closely as possible and I work as efficiently as I possibly can. My route, for the most part stays the same, however they’re always having me close out the UPS store, which easily adds another 45 mins to my day. I’ve been asked to do other extras as well like the Amazon warehouse and extra pick ups.
Is the UPS store part of the route??.. because I was told I shouldn’t have it while I’m trying to qualify. I don’t mind doing anything they tell me to do, I’m there to get the job done!!.. but I’ve had several other drivers tell me that anytime they have you doing “extras”, you’re automatically qualified and so I don’t have to run scratch and all that.. is this true? I don’t want to qualify based on some silly loophole, I want to earn it!! Any advice??
Start a progression? You mean you’re in the 30 days Qualifying? My advice just get qualified anyway possible who cares how. Then you can start progression.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Have they talked to you about scratch? I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped that requirement.

CoSpgsDriverLJ

You’re still in qualifying phase. They have 30 days of driving to qualify you or disqualify you. If you get qualified then you’ll start progression. Just keep track of all the extra stuff you’re doing. Talk to your Steward or business agent if they try to disqualify you.
Thank You for clearing that up for me

Fuzzy Brown

You must be burning it down and getting finished early.
Document everything extra they have you do.
Once you qualify stop running and take your lunch.

CoSpgsDriverLJ

You must be burning it down and getting finished early.
Document everything extra they have you do.
Once you qualify stop running and take your lunch.
No, actually. I haven’t made scratch yet! 1.5hrs over at minimum. Like I said, I follow the methods and work as hard and efficiently as I possibly can, but I can’t get the route done sooner. I’m in the biggest truck since day 1 and my route is a mix of businesses and residential. The businesses are what slow me down. I just don’t see how I can still shave off 2 hours… Sigh…

Thebrownblob

No, actually. I haven’t made scratch yet! 1.5hrs over at minimum. Like I said, I follow the methods and work as hard and efficiently as I possibly can, but I can’t get the route done sooner. I’m in the biggest truck since day 1 and my route is a mix of businesses and residential. The businesses are what slow me down. I just don’t see how I can still shave off 2 hours… Sigh…
You probably can’t, Time allowances are pretty unreasonable now. If you’re getting done and they’re giving you extra work seems to me you’re doing a good job.

Fuzzy Brown

That’s why you document the extra work they give you in case your over allowed becomes an issue for not qualifying.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You’re still in qualifying phase. They have 30 days of driving to qualify you or disqualify you. If you get qualified then you’ll start progression. Just keep track of all the extra stuff you’re doing. Talk to your Steward or business agent if they try to disqualify you.

They can decide to qualify him at any point in that 30 days.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
cleaning out the UPS store is cake.

They probably plan on keeping you.

The others you started with, are they taking stops off people instead?

Keep doing what you are doing...

Good luck

Mtg15

Yea i had the ups store on my route too for the first thirty days. What i did )which i will deny to my death if ever questioned in real life) is that idle time tour just waiting at the ups store i clocked out for lunch. Depending on my time i would get something to eat then completely load the truck and only clock back in once i was ready to finalize the store and go home. Now is that technically working off the clock of course but i just needed to make sure i passed so i got my seniority. Now that i have seniority best believe youll never catch me doing that i just go at a steady safe pace. “Making scratch” only matters your first 30 so do everything you can to make it just make sure your safe.