New Employee Questions

aleahey

Just got hired as (I think) a Loader/Unloader, starting 3 days of training next week. M-T-W.

I have a few questions, if anyone could shed some light:

1) Are the training days typically paid? It was unclear during my second interview/paper signing.

2) There is a no "music player" or "cell phone" clause on the safety sheet I signed. Is this enforced? Or is this one of those things that they just say, but don't mind you listening to something while you work.

I feel like if my brain isn't going to be working while I'm sorting packages for 5 hours a day, I surely could be listening to an audiobook or podcast.

Thanks so much.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes, you are paid and the music thing is usually prohibited as a saftey issue but every center is different. Some enforce some don't.

aleahey

Ahhh safety, I was actually thinking it was more for insuring you aren't walking out with an iPod you lifted from a package.

I wonder though, I mean, they would hire you if you were deaf, wouldn't they?

Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about yet, but it didn't seem like any aspect of the job involved hearing anything.

Thanks for the quick answer, I don't intend to push the envelope on any rules. I didn't see anyone wearing earbuds while I was there, so I reckon I'll just do some humming.

W

westsideworma

In our center, no-one is allowed to use iPods, however, everyone does.

Only enforcement comes when the bigwigs visit.

yeah thats pretty much the rule here too. I used to bring a radio (run on batteries), no one said anything, even when my neighbor and I cranked up the volume a bit if we heard a song that "enhanced" our loading speed lol

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You do need to be able to hear things at UPS. If your sup needs you to move to another trailer and you can't hear him because you've got the volume jacked up is a pain in the arse for the sup. You need to be able to hear the emergency alarm, you need to hear when it's break time. At my building, we're allowed to bring cells and ipods, they need to be logged in at the guard shack once (they take down serial numbers and put a shiny sticker on them.) And we're only allowed to wear our ipods on 1 ear. Every building is different though. We're not allowed to use bluetooth devices in the building because they interfere with the short wave bluetooth that our scanners use. If we're caught texting, then we have to turn our phones in at the guard shack. Emergencies only with our phones.

Wynter

On paper they are not allowed, where I am, but the whole iPod issue varies from shift to shift here. Apparently they don't enforce it on the reload because at least half of the people that come in from reload to help us on preload usually have one with them. That is until our sups see them of course. Which I still find amusing since we have a radio hooked up to our "intercom" system and it's usually playing music for most of the shift. It's definately not dead quiet where an iPod would cause that big of a safety issue relative to the rest of the noise being created from just working.

Notcool

I listen to my mp3 player. My first center manager said I couldn't have them. Our new center manager has yet to say anything. Honestly I could not make it without some music in my ears.

Just got hired as (I think) a Loader/Unloader, starting 3 days of training next week. M-T-W.

I have a few questions, if anyone could shed some light:

1) Are the training days typically paid? It was unclear during my second interview/paper signing.

2) There is a no "music player" or "cell phone" clause on the safety sheet I signed. Is this enforced? Or is this one of those things that they just say, but don't mind you listening to something while you work.

I feel like if my brain isn't going to be working while I'm sorting packages for 5 hours a day, I surely could be listening to an audiobook or podcast.

Thanks so much.

Welcome Aleahey
You can rest assured will have a long and successful career at UPS. This can be attributed to the fact that you have`nt begun training and you are already looking to circumvent the rules.

evilleace

No ipods is the rule but almost everyone has one on I never wore one I liked to be able to hear what was going on, but it is enforced when district people visit even the radios go off.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Welcome Aleahey
You can rest assured will have a long and successful career at UPS. This can be attributed to the fact that you have`nt begun training and you are already looking to circumvent the rules.

Aleahey already made some posts that make sense to long-time members of the fellowship. Including smuggling I-pods. We have a veteran in the making!