New Employee Questions

fbhsfootball201

Hi. Im relativity new to UPS. I have been working here for six months and i have a few questions

1. Am i entitled to a non-payed vacation? \

2. What if someone is my family passes, do i get time off work? Do i get paid for this time off??

3. I would like to get the extra dollar for picking off. Is there a limit to the amount of people on the PD who get the extra dollar and are able to pickoff??

Thank you so much !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hi. Im relativity new to UPS. I have been working here for six months and i have a few questions

1. Am i entitled to a non-payed vacation?

If the economy continues its free fall you just may get your wish.

2. What if someone is my family passes, do i get time off work? Do i get paid for this time off??

Bereavement leave is granted for relatives as outlined in the contract. Usually 1 day for local and up to 3 days if you have to travel. This is paid time.

3. I would like to get the extra dollar for picking off. Is there a limit to the amount of people on the PD who get the extra dollar and are able to pickoff??

I have no idea. Drewed--can you please answer this for the OP?

Thank you so much !!

Buffaloaf

As far as the extra dollar goes for pickoffs, I'm not so sure myself. I run a PD Trailer belt in a next day air hub, but we do not pay our High Pick or Low Pick any extra for their duties (not sure if this is because my belt is 1 of 3 PD Trailer style belts compared to the other 20 or so Run-out Air belts). Also, we have low production goals (since it is NDA and has a lot of different S and P splits), so that may have something to do with it. My guess is that there is probably a limit to the number of people that get the Pick Off raise because there is a limited number of people you will need to do the Pick Off (at least, that has been the case for me).

UPSNewbie

For bereavement, in the Southern Region, check your contract on Article 29 Section 2.

*That is, if you are in the Southern Region...

Last edited:

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I am in Jacksonville FL. I was not aware that i had a contract? Im just a loader. Sorry im such a newb..haha

The contract represents all hourly workers that are union and non-union. As long as the position you are in is loader/unloader, sorter, any type of driver, mainly the general positions. However some office positions are not covered under the contract and of course management is not.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
talk to your steward you should have already been approached

get a contract

join union

welcome to your future

Keep in mind that you will have to pay union dues, union is only good for if you plan to make a long-term career at UPS. Otherwise it's not worth it, especially if your just a part-timer.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Keep in mind that you will have to pay union dues, union is only good for if you plan to make a long-term career at UPS. Otherwise it's not worth it, especially if your just a part-timer.

I don't know if i agree give me more of your opinion please

Just because he gets same representation for free doesnt mean it is the best way to go

drewed

Shankman
Id say there probably a limit on the number of people since its classified as a "position" id imagine seniority rules and whoever had the highest seniority that wanted it would get it?