New express pay structure ?

Ricochet1a

Hate to be the devil's advocate on this one, but Express policy clearly states that hours scheduled can be adjusted to fit the needs of the "operation"... As a full time employee, you are owned by Express, liable to work whatever hours they schedule you within the limits of DOT regulations and the requirement to ask for volunteers first for additional work. When an employee transfers, their seniority goes out the window for 6 months, meaning that in that period, they are literally the gopher for their new ops mgr. I was there, did it, hated it.

So while your former ops mgr more than likely told you what you wanted to hear in order to get the position filled (and for you to sign the offer letter) - he was more than within Express guidelines to "adjust" the hours you were to work once you arrived. Yes, he was a dirty, low down piece of scum, but ops mgrs are prone to do whatever it takes to get positions filled, especially when it is their neck on the line if the position isn't filled. Your former manager was a piece of scum; you were a fool to believe that something stated without documentation to back it up was worth anything.

As far as "getting respect" - are you kidding?? Respect is that warm fuzzy feeling someone has for another, until such time policy or circumstances dictate that they dump on that person they "respect". There were a few people in positions superior to me that I "respected" on a personal level, but I NEVER let that lead me to think they would go out of their way to do me a favor at anytime. They were first and foremost Express management - NEVER forget that.

You keep on trying to make your work at Express based on a "personal" frame of reference. Express was never about personal relationships, it is and was all about meeting your expectation and continuing to do so without causing problems for your immediate superior.

It's not personal, its business... Fred most likely has a plaque in his office that states that.

quadro

When an Express employee takes sick time, it is counted against their performance review - meaning that they take a significant hit in their rating even for taking a single sick day in a year. The way the metric worked, taking a sick day resulted in an employee dropping from a "7" for attendance to a "6" - which means that in the final weighted score, an employee would automatically take a 0.2 hit to their score. This may seem insignificant, but due to the pay increase percentage being HEAVILY weighted towards the incremental differences between 6.5 and 7.0, a 0.2 hit towards an employees final score would result in a pay raise which was 0.6% less than it otherwise would be.
One sick day wouldn't do this as you'd be eligible for a bonus point on your attendance and that would put you back to a 7.
One would think that they should pay the doctor's office copay if they direct an employee to get a doctor's note - but I never heard of Express doing such a thing.

Most locations have a "policy" (never could confirm if it was in PEOPLE or was informal junk) that if an employee called in sick 3 days in a row, they HAD to get a doctor's note to return to work. No note, no return to work. I considered it to be a form of extortion on their part - if you presented yourself ready to work, who in the hell were they to doubt that you could indeed work.
Exactly. They are not doctors and are not qualified to determine if you are fit for duty. I wonder how they would determine that? Oh yeah, I suppose they could require a doctor's note. Also, if you are out for 3 days or more (or is it more than 3 days, I can never remember) you might be covered under FMLA and you'd have to have a doctor's note for that.

vantexan

R1a, your problem is you think you are explaining the ways of the world to some neophyte. I've been there done that many times. But when a mgr submits a packet to cost analysis asking for 2 mid-day rts to alleviate SO lates plus work the reload every night, but doesn't put in JCAT notes these are midshift rts working reload, and assures 2 FTers that their schedule is early morning and off by 1700-1730, he's way over the line. If a director is willing to cover for him then nothing I can do but they don't have carte blanc to do whatever to us. Upshot of filing GFT is I wasn't required to set up reload area before going on road, something that has bugged him for over 2 years and even mentioned to me when I was trying to get transfer to NC. Said I got "everything you wanted in that GFT" which I pointed out wasn't so. Apparently getting even part of what I wanted still bothers him. To say they can do anything they like isn't quite accurate although they get their way on most things. Fact is not every mgr lies to get you to transfer in, although people should be aware many open routes are ones no one locally will do. You decide if being at that location is worth it to you. But couriers are supposed to be told of unusual situations in JCATS such as midshift, 4X10 cover driver, domiciled location, etc. Mgr not telling you this because he doesn't want to spend money on newhire and wants you available before Peak isn't acceptable. And I'm close to being to the point where if it happens again I'll walk if they don't correct it.//////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
About respect. You guys who always want to stick your thumb in the eye of corporate leadership will always have to operate in the shadows. Step out into the light, back up your words with hard work, and be a man. If a man gets fired he'll be ok.

vantexan

One more thing, I was explaining to Cactus that I had just GFTed something, had local mgmt mad at me, didn't feel I could do anything but just take it on getting that note and cost involved. R1a you took it upon yourself to explain why I was wrong about what mgr did, but post wasn't about that. You seem to do that alot. But I'm still with the company, you aren't. Apparently you got out just before getting booted by your own admission. Fool that I am, I've stated my name and station and ID# several times. Telling the truth is my protection. And yes I've been angry. But I'm still here, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone that their 20+ years of hard earned experience is based on some childish wishful thinking.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One sick day wouldn't do this as you'd be eligible for a bonus point on your attendance and that would put you back to a 7.

Exactly. They are not doctors and are not qualified to determine if you are fit for duty. I wonder how they would determine that? Oh yeah, I suppose they could require a doctor's note. Also, if you are out for 3 days or more (or is it more than 3 days, I can never remember) you might be covered under FMLA and you'd have to have a doctor's note for that.

How was management training?

quadro

How was management training?
I don't know. You tell me. How is it that I mention two things that can actually help someone from having their attendance suffer and you try to deflect that by inferring that I am a manager? So let's follow your logic. I offer info that helps employees. I am a manager. Ergo managers help employees. Is that what you are trying to say? You have me so confused. I thought you were anti-management and here you go praising them. I wish you'd make up your mind.

Either that or explain how you can say things that help people and your not a mana..........oh wait a doggone minute!!!! Now I get it!!! Oh no, the cat's out of the bag!!!

Ricochet1a

If you aren't a manager, you sure as hell speak as if you are one...

Curious thing is that I got the same canned FedEx response from a management type when I was still with FedEx. Being the highly trained individuals that they are, he missed a key point of FMLA requirements.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMLA

"To qualify for the FMLA mandate, a worker must be employed by a business with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius of his or her worksite, or a public agency, including schools and state, local, and federal employers (the 50-employee threshold does not apply to public agency employees and local educational agencies). He or she must also have worked for that employer for at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutive) and 1,250 hours within the last 12 months."

He knew I was part-time when I presented the issue like I did in this forum...

So tell me oh brilliant one, just how is a part-time employee that works less than 24 hours a week on average supposed to qualify for FMLA leave/protection?

Part-timers that work less than 1250 hours in the 12 months proceeding the need for EXTENDED leave simply don't qualify for FMLA coverage. Express requires them to exhaust their sick time, any personals and floaters, then any vacation time, then get placed on Express' Medical Leave of Absence. I'm not arguing that an employee shouldn't be required to use up all available paid time off if they are ill, I'm just wondering why FedEx has the canned talking point response of "Apply for FMLA", when it is well known (well, at least to those who are informed) that FMLA doesn't cover part-time employees who work less than the 1250 hour requirement?

So it appears that you are suggesting that FULL-TIME employees that are acutely ill, but not requiring an extended absence (more than 2 weeks), go through all the administrative burden of applying for FMLA, when they know damn good and well that if they are acutely ill with influenza, that they'll be back within a week - a week and a half absolutely tops... FMLA is intended for EXTENDED periods of absence due to medical issues, not short term.

Ricochet1a

About respect. You guys who always want to stick your thumb in the eye of corporate leadership will always have to operate in the shadows. Step out into the light, back up your words with hard work, and be a man. If a man gets fired he'll be ok.

Well, as I've pointed out, those that choose to stand in the middle of the road grunting at the approaching headlights aren't being "a man", they are choosing to become roadkill.

Shaking your fist at the FedEx machine doesn't make one "a man", it merely illustrates personal frustration. There is absolutely NO WAY an individual can "step into the light" and achieve anything at Express. You are more than welcome to "step into the light" and try to make positive change at your location - let us know when you start and how long it takes Express to toss you out the door...

The fight between wage employees and the machine of FedEx ISN'T one between equals, the fight is stacked against the wage employee from the start. When fighting on "conventional terms" (your being "a man") becomes suicidal/imminent roadkill, the fight must be waged with unconventional methods. I for one refused to let FedEx to have the opportunity to fire me, I control my destiny whenever possible - that is why I left when I knew Express was setting me up for termination on trumped up issues in order to get rid of a "union agitator".

This forum provided by Brown Cafe is just one of many "unconventional" methods of fighting the FedEx machine.

FedEx monitors BC in an attempt to gain knowledge of both trends of the "resistance" and possibly the identities of posters, and even has shill posters who attempt - not so cleverly - to create misinformation and confusion for the forum lurkers.

Maybe in the future, when the wage employees of Express have a contract between them and Express management, they can "step out into the light". Until then, any overt sign of disapproval with the status quo will be met with swift action by Express management. One doesn't overtly "stick their thumb in the eye of corporate leadership", when that leadership is armed with a proverbial gatling gun. Unless one is aching to become roadkill...

quadro

If you aren't a manager, you sure as hell speak as if you are one...
Because I'm informed and know my way around policies that managers can use against me? Or because it's just better if this forum is filled with half-truths to rally the troops?

Curious thing is that I got the same canned FedEx response from a management type when I was still with FedEx. Being the highly trained individuals that they are, he missed a key point of FMLA requirements.
Well that's probably because it is a canned response. There isn't any gray area. FMLA is a legal thing and you either qualify or you don't and one thing I found out through experience is that if the manager doesn't offer it to you then your absence will most likely be treated as FMLA even if it wouldn't have qualified. The managers are pretty much legally obligated to offer it to you. However, it's not up to them to make the decision if you qualify. They have to give you the paperwork within a certain amount of time after you return to work and you have I think 2 weeks to return it. It goes to the HCMP manager and they approve, deny, or ask for more info.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMLA

"To qualify for the FMLA mandate, a worker must be employed by a business with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius of his or her worksite, or a public agency, including schools and state, local, and federal employers (the 50-employee threshold does not apply to public agency employees and local educational agencies). He or she must also have worked for that employer for at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutive) and 1,250 hours within the last 12 months."

He knew I was part-time when I presented the issue like I did in this forum...
Except you said "if an employee called in sick 3 days in a row". A very general statement to which I responded with a general answer. You didn't say "I was p/t with less than 1250 hours within the last 12 months".

So tell me oh brilliant one, just how is a part-time employee that works less than 24 hours a week on average supposed to qualify for FMLA leave/protection?
They cannot. But that wasn't what you said originally and it certainly wasn't what I responded to. And to be clear, that's not FedEx's fault. That's what the law says. It is true at any company that is governed by FMLA. Also, there are many part time employees that do average over 24 hours a week and do qualify. Another part that you are missing is that under FMLA your job is protected for 12 weeks (84 days). Even if you don't qualify for FMLA, FedEx policy for short-term leave protects your job for 90 days so it really doesn't make a lot of difference if you aren't covered.

Part-timers that work less than 1250 hours in the 12 months proceeding the need for EXTENDED leave simply don't qualify for FMLA coverage. Express requires them to exhaust their sick time, any personals and floaters, then any vacation time, then get placed on Express' Medical Leave of Absence.
No they don't. The policy is once you are out for 7 calendar days, you go on leave of absence on the 8th day. I know as I've done it. You don't have to use anything but sick time and if you haven't used any, you'll use it all that first week and won't even have the opportunity to use personals, floaters, and vacation time. You can however sell your vacation if you need to. Again, been there done that so I know from experience.
I'm not arguing that an employee shouldn't be required to use up all available paid time off if they are ill, I'm just wondering why FedEx has the canned talking point response of "Apply for FMLA", when it is well known (well, at least to those who are informed) that FMLA doesn't cover part-time employees who work less than the 1250 hour requirement?
Well as I said, they are not required to use up all paid time off. Agan again, it's a canned response because it is required and it's in everybody's best interest to do so. I'm not so sure that a manager would know whether each of his or her part time employees had worked over 1250 hours. Maybe for a couple but I doubt all of them. That's why you fill out the paperwork so it can be reviewed.

So it appears that you are suggesting that FULL-TIME employees that are acutely ill, but not requiring an extended absence (more than 2 weeks), go through all the administrative burden of applying for FMLA, when they know damn good and well that if they are acutely ill with influenza, that they'll be back within a week - a week and a half absolutely tops... FMLA is intended for EXTENDED periods of absence due to medical issues, not short term.
That's not what I'm suggesting at all. You only have to be out more than 3 days and your absence is potentially covered under FMLA. So your flu example is one that would likely be covered under FMLA even if they come back in a week. Without getting into the entire Act, you can miss just part of a work day and it would be covered under FMLA under the right circumstances. If it's a hassle for you to fill out the paperwork, then don't. Your absences will count against your attendance and you can move on. Personally, if there's a way to avoid that by filling out a simple form, I'm going to do it. To each his or her own.

I suggest that if you are interested you do a little more research on FMLA so you understand it better. Part of the provision is that doctor's notes are required. So a manager telling you to get a doctor's note can actually help ensure that your attendance doesn't suffer.

Ricochet1a

Ok Quadro, answer this....

I'm not longer at FedEx, I'm sitting in a nice air conditioned office able to perform work, meet with associates and even respond to this forum if I'm otherwise unoccupied.

How is it that you, a self identified full-time Courier with Express, has managed to respond in detail to a post I did early this AM, in mid-day? (Around 1130 AM CDT or 1230 PM EDT) You really want me to think you spent your lunch break while on-road carefully typing a response to my post...

And if you are located in the Pacific time zone, the cat is really out of the bag...

So let's see, you spent time carefully typing into a Blackberry or similiar device, or better yet, you carry around a laptop to respond to posts such as mine - merely to "help" keep the employees better informed.... You hustled through your P1, did some P2, took your break and just had to pull up BC and read this thread, then respond in detail.

Boy, how generous and selfless of you to respond so rapidly to a post during your break while on-road.

I know when I was working as a Courier, I was running my tail off, not having a minute to spare. With the way things are now with meeting productivity requirements and delayed morning start times, there is even less wiggle room in the day of a Courier now.

If I had to take a break, the last thing I'd do was to even think about reading a forum such as this during those precious minutes - forget about reponding in detail to a post...

I'm glad Express has "Couriers" such as yourself that are so generous with their time. Being able to not only run your "route" and meet goal, but also respond to threads in a forum to keep everyone up to speed in a timely fashion.

Bravo!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm not longer at FedEx, I'm sitting in a nice air conditioned office able to perform work, meet with associates and even respond to this forum if I'm otherwise unoccupied.

How is it that you, a self identified full-time Courier with Express, has managed to respond in detail to a post I did early this AM, in mid-day? (Around 1130 AM CDT or 1230 PM EDT) You really want me to think you spent your lunch break while on-road carefully typing a response to my post...

And if you are located in the Pacific time zone, the cat is really out of the bag...

So let's see, you spent time carefully typing into a Blackberry or similiar device, or better yet, you carry around a laptop to respond to posts such as mine - merely to "help" keep the employees better informed.... You hustled through your P1, did some P2, took your break and just had to pull up BC and read this thread, then respond in detail.

Boy, how generous and selfless of you to respond so rapidly to a post during your break while on-road.

I know when I was working as a Courier, I was running my tail off, not having a minute to spare. With the way things are now with meeting productivity requirements and delayed morning start times, there is even less wiggle room in the day of a Courier now.

If I had to take a break, the last thing I'd do was to even think about reading a forum such as this during those precious minutes - forget about reponding in detail to a post...

I'm glad Express has "Couriers" such as yourself that are so generous with their time. Being able to not only run your "route" and meet goal, but also respond to threads in a forum to keep everyone up to speed in a timely fashion.

Bravo!

quadro mysteriously appears whenever the company is in "jeopardy", and then disappears when it isn't. I find that rather curious. For a "courier", he's exceptionally well-informed, as in it might have come directly from the Throne of Fred or the Gospel of Maury. But he's much more likely to be a FedEx flak/shill, placed here to spread whatever it is that Maury wants to communicate to the unwashed masses.

That makes him a rat of the lowest order, placed here by The Borg to do their bidding. You don't get that MEM corner cubicle without using some "kneepad" charm, so quadro must be very pliable to operational needs. BZ quadro!!

vantexan

Well, as I've pointed out, those that choose to stand in the middlthey are choosing to become roadkill.Shaking your fist at the FedEx machine doesn't make one "a man", it merely illustrates personal frustration. There is absolutely NO WAY an individual can "step into the light" and achieve anything at Express. You are more than welcome to "step into the light" and try to make positive change at your location - let us know when you start and how long it takes Express to toss you out...When fighting on "conventional terms" (your being "a man") becomes suicidal/imminent roadkill, the fight must be waged with unconventional methods. I for one refused to let FedEx to have the opportunity to fire me, I control my destiny whenever possible...FedEx monitors BC in an attempt to gain knowledge of both trends of the "resistance" and possibly the identities of posters, and even has shill posters who attempt - not so cleverly - to create misinformation and confusion for the forum lurkers.Maybe in the future, when the wage employees of Express have a contract between them and E they can "step out into the light". Until then, any overt sign of disapproval with the status quo will be met with swift action by Express management. One doesn't overtly "stick their thumb in the eye of corporate leadership", when that leadership is armed with a proverbial gatling gun. Unless one is aching to become roadkill...

Oh come on, you aren't even in the company anymore. Man up and tell us your name and location. Whatcha afraid of? I've stated my name before, still here. I openly criticized pay policies when a director visited a couple of years ago and I've told all the mgrs here how I feel. Had a mgr at former station who liked to shake hands and thank us for making that check happen. I told her I wouldn't shake her hand on that because company pay policies were blatantly unfair to midrange employees. I've refused awards for close to 5 or 6 years because as I've told them I want better pay, not attaboys or trinkets. If it gets me fired it gets me fired. Won't change fact that they're wrong to do what they've done. I've given and many respects wasted most of my adult life in the service of FedEx. I'll put some things I've experienced at the hands of management up against anyone else's. I'll put my numbers and the extra miles I've gone up against anyone else's. So after all this I'm going to stand up and say do right by us!! What are you going to do? What have you done? I don't see the company changing because of whining but because people ARE sticking their necks out. We've had enough and I'll go so far to say if the raise isn't substantial enough I will immediately start working towards quitting as soon as possible. I'll be 50 but I won't be here at 53. They can drag people kicking and screaming into the cans every morning. No more old man humping for them. Sure they'll do just fine, but they are going to lose alot of folks that'll be hard to replace if they don't come through again.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Quadro, here quadro. Come here now. Aww, nice little management suck-up. Good boy!!! I'm guessing you'll respond when Maury tells you what to say next. Tell him that the PR campaign is sucking wind right now, and that "appreciation cakes" and "dinners" aren't fooling anyone but the Purple People. I guess Fred will be looking for new lackey soon eh? I hear Moamar is looking for a new job now that he's been deposed. Maybe he's hiding in Memphis and will appear with MT3 in next month's Frontline as the new Director of Personnel. I'll bet one of Fred's jets gave him a free ride out of Libya.

franknitty

You know why they put this new pay structure in ? Fedex wants the ppl who are make top dollar to quit or retire, so they can bring in new employees, who will never be able to top out in pay. Has anyone notice that half the new hires end up quitting within a year ?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I took a half hr. lunch and then immediate 10 min. 28/29 after I only did about 3 P1 dels.
Then, I took another 1 hr lunch in the middle of the day. Then, another 10 min. later in the afternoon.
I have my laptop with me in the truck. There are lots of free wi-fi's in my urban area.
Just sayin.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You know why they put this new pay structure in ? Fedex wants the ppl who are make top dollar to quit or retire, so they can bring in new employees, who will never be able to top out in pay. Has anyone notice that half the new hires end up quitting within a year ?

I had the afternoon off today. Before I left, I watched 2 of the 1430 starters completely max-out their W900's with bulk stops. One of them was visibly angry, wondering just how he was going to get to his regulars on-time, and was really getting in the manager's face. One of the questions he asked was "why didn't you call me in early?" The manager's response was "Do you want an OLCC, or do you want to take the stop?" By the time he left, the courier was hopping mad. Think he'll stick around and get abused every day?

Oh, and once you show you can do it, it becomes expected. That's your reward for busting your butt. More work/No help/OLCC.

quadro

First, nice deflection and ad hominem argument. Second, you don't even work for FedEx and you're making fun of how I responded?? Hmm, ok. Well, while your sitting in your non-FedEx office posting about a company you don't even work for, you might want to use some of that internet time to learn about the calendar. Specifically how there are actually 7 days in the week and that many people don't work all 7 of the days. Complex subject, I know, but stick with it and I'm sure you'll get it.

quadro mysteriously appears whenever the company is in "jeopardy", and then disappears when it isn't. I find that rather curious. For a "courier", he's exceptionally well-informed, as in it might have come directly from the Throne of Fred or the Gospel of Maury. But he's much more likely to be a FedEx flak/shill, placed here to spread whatever it is that Maury wants to communicate to the unwashed masses.

That makes him a rat of the lowest order, placed here by The Borg to do their bidding. You don't get that MEM corner cubicle without using some "kneepad" charm, so quadro must be very pliable to operational needs. BZ quadro!!
FedEx is in jeopardy? Really? Care to provide some facts on that? Thanks for noticing how informed I am. Something that a few of you around here are not, but like to make people think you are. I think it's kind of ironic how you tell people in so many words to educate themselves to what is going on and when someone (me) is educated about what's going on you act like a 6 year old and throw stupid insults around. And for the record, it's not that I disappear, it's just that I actually have a life and BC isn't the center of it. I don't always have time to visit and I don't read all the posts I missed. If I'm here and happen to see something I want to respond to, I do. Simple as that.

Quadro, here quadro. Come here now. Aww, nice little management suck-up. Good boy!!! I'm guessing you'll respond when Maury tells you what to say next. Tell him that the PR campaign is sucking wind right now, and that "appreciation cakes" and "dinners" aren't fooling anyone but the Purple People. I guess Fred will be looking for new lackey soon eh? I hear Moamar is looking for a new job now that he's been deposed. Maybe he's hiding in Memphis and will appear with MT3 in next month's Frontline as the new Director of Personnel. I'll bet one of Fred's jets gave him a free ride out of Libya.
And that's the best you've got? You know if you had actually read what I wrote it was about giving fellow employees a better understanding of how to protect their attendance and not get into trouble.

So there you go Beavis, let me know when you've figured the calendar thing out. Try to do it before Butthead wets his pants.

jmeti000

OMG, and you all say your grown men...you sound like women in a hair salon...it cracks me up lol. I personally think Fred is waiting to see what happens with the possible tax break for companies who hire out-of-work Americans. Imagine...If he raises pay JUST enough to fool those that are somewhat loyal into thinkin "ok, maybe Fred is trying to do the right thing" while dodging the union bullet, and they stick around for a while longer breaking their back for the company. All the while, new hires are going to keep filtering in to those positions that people leave from...turnover wont be quite as high, Fred will keep a few more of the people that know wtf is going on with working their position (for a while at least), and will probably get an amazing tax break from all the "new hires" that came in from being unemployed.

This is just another theory ive thought of while reading all your posts that I havent seen mentioned...unless I missed something...which is quite possible.

And for the record...Quadro gets on my nerves too, but now I pretty much just dont read anything he/she posts. Its like a kid that wants attention...If you give it, they keep pestering you, ignore them and they eventually go somewhere else.

Just my .02 though.