New Guy, Beard Question

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by SLW, Sep 12, 2019.

1. SLW

SLW New Member

Hey all, just got "hired" as a seasonal driver and am headed to Integrad. Been wanting to do this for years. Pretty excited and nervous, but I also have an appearance standards question.

I have a beard and also eczema where shaving it off it is very uncomfortable. The HR guy recommended (without me even mentioning any of this) that I should just get a beard waiver, which I plan on doing.
    The issue is, there is Integrad, then a probationary period. I don't want to have a target on my back, or be singled out to be eliminated in any way, or have a "special" reputation. I *can* shave and use medication to help, but only for a few weeks til it starts to melt my skin off. That was my plan. I told the HR guy this and he insists on keeping it, ADA will protect me, yada yada, but I know the on-the-ground reality is sometimes different.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. It's a tough call. Then call fail you at intergrad for just about any reason they want to.

3. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Just make sure you trim it as close as you can. Dont have this foot long beard

4. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

If it was me I’d shave

5. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Appearance standards are long gone. So many drivers have beards now.
    I haven't grown a beard yet, but my mustache is now 1/4 inch below the corner of my mouth. No doctors note. Yeah, I'm a rebel...

6. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

Appearance standards are gone in the hub but in that class room they’ll require you to shave. I’d get a jump start on that waiver and have it ready for your first week on the road. Like you said. You can suffer with a bare face for a week.