New here - venting about Ground

Actually, very little of what the OP mentions is "illegal". The hours of service is the only real issue and in that case it is the obligation of the driver not to violate. If that means stopping with half a truck left, then that's what it means. It is up to the contractor to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
Or do you mean fire him?.......That's the kind of crap that happens when you don't have a union!!!!!!!!!!

MAKAVELI

Actually, very little of what the OP mentions is "illegal". The hours of service is the only real issue and in that case it is the obligation of the driver not to violate. If that means stopping with half a truck left, then that's what it means. It is up to the contractor to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
Going over hours of service and covering it up is illegal.

MAKAVELI

And yes, 18 hour days are not common, but they do happen, and it is nothing short of fraud what the contractors have us do. We are "strongly encouraged" to manipulate the times to fit within DOT windows, meaning shorting the scanner login times by not counting the drive, or sometimes even logging in remotely halfway through the day. I've seen guys do crazy things to save time, like driver releasing 20 packages in the van, then delivering them to save a couple seconds of scanning and walking... indirecting packages to their garage and delivering them the next day... driver releasing packages to apartment complex office doors without checking the actual apartment. I'm out! God speed to you other drivers, Express and Ground both.
If that's not " covering it up" than I don't know what is.

Epoisode7

I've gone over DOT time twice, once at peak and once because I 07'd a package that was a direct signature, it got sent back to the terminal 85 miles away, and the customer called 1800 GoFedEx pissed and said they were home (which they weren't). It was a Friday of all days, so they didn't want to wait for their crap until Monday. I was "strongly encouraged" by both the contractor and terminal manager to drive 85 miles up, 85 miles back, and deliver the package way out in BFE. I mentioned I was already logged in since 5 am. They showed their concern for my DOT time by saying "call and have the customer meet you if you think you're time is getting close!" I'm encouraged to cheat the scanner, but I don't. When I was new I used to not do it because I thought that influenced our pay, which it doesn't. Now I do it in the hopes some fat bureaucrat sitting at a FedEx desk will ask "why is this guy working 4 more hours per day than the other drivers?" I have no intention of ratting anyone out. I honestly think when I quit, that the route will either collapse, or it will accrue so many mistakes that the contractor will sell it. I'm not some super human driver, but there is no way 2 people can run 3 routes when they are already working 12 hour days on their own route.

As for the 50 hours, it was a typo on my part. I meant to type 60. We work 12 hour days (counting the drive) at a minimum. I'm not sure how FedEx views our drive time. If the vehicles were kept at the terminal and I drove my POV there, I could see their point. But I keep my vehicle at home and drive it every day. Anyway, the only thing I want to do is get out. I will try to be honorable and give a 2 week notice, train someone if I can, and my hopes are that the route will get a better contractor or somehow become better. Good insight from everyone!

bbsam

Staff member

then the drivers are committing the fraud. They will have to make the stand. FedEx cannot step in and run the time clock for the contractors. Degree of control and all. I would caution the OP that such violations are on the driver, not the contractor. I would also suggest he and his coworkers find a better contractor or get the hell out.

STFXG

FedEx views your on duty time as when you arrive at the building and start working. Unless you are HD and are hauling a pickup or a status coded package back to the terminal after it has been in your truck over night, then you would dispatch from your house and your on duty time is when you leave home.

Your actual hours (since you are employed and not the IC) are legally when you start working for your employer. Your on duty time should be tracked from the time you leave your house or do any kind of work for your employer. Since he is allowing you to take the truck home you should be on duty any time you are operating the company vehicle. Unless specifically stated in your employee handbook that driving the truck to and from the terminal is not considered part of your employment and just a perk. If it is required then it is part of the job.

You NEVER have to return an 07 same day if you left a door tag. Tell them no.

You NEVER have to break hours of service rules.

If you are in a truck and a delivery is not accessible you can 07 it, you do not have to 27 it.

STFXG

Also, missed outbound packages are the terminals fault. Unless you left it sitting behind your truck then it's not your problem. I'm in a similar mileage situation as you (rural routes ) and I've had management drive packages out to me in their personal vehicles to make service.

bbsam

Staff member
We were informed that an HD driver who takes his vehicle home at night is on duty when he gets in the truck to drive to work in the morning.

bbsam

Staff member
Also, missed outbound packages are the terminals fault. Unless you left it sitting behind your truck then it's not your problem. I'm in a similar mileage situation as you (rural routes ) and I've had management drive packages out to me in their personal vehicles to make service.

Management is not to do this and they are jn danger of losing their jobs if a Managing Director finds out about it.

MAKAVELI

then the drivers are committing the fraud. They will have to make the stand. FedEx cannot step in and run the time clock for the contractors. Degree of control and all. I would caution the OP that such violations are on the driver, not the contractor. I would also suggest he and his coworkers find a better contractor or get the hell out.
I think the DOT would think otherwise because the numbers are registered under FedEx and they would pass that responsibility to the contractor. The OP stated that both the contractor and FedEx management knew he would go over 14 hours. And he also stated this was common with the other drivers. Just what is your definition of "covering up"? As said by others here the responsibility is on both the driver and the carrier. If you think FedEx wouldn't exert some" degree of control " if they were fined for drivers going over hours of service you are sadly mistaken.

STFXG

You're right BB, I didn't explain that properly. Your mileage for HD (dispatch) is from your home if hauling in packages. The mileage from home doesn't count for anything if driving in empty. On duty time for HD is when you leave home or arrive at home, empty or not.

If you are running a ground route then fedex will view your on duty time as when you get to the building and start actually working or return at the end of the night. It's your employers job to properly track your hours of service since you work for them, not fedex. And that depends on what is stated in your employee handbook for personal use of the vehicle or if its a requirement.

bbsam

Staff member
DRIVERS are allowed 6 violations in one year before being disqualified.

I repeat. DONT VIOLATE!!! Neither the contractor nor Fedex is held accountable.

STFXG

Management is not to do this and they are jn danger of losing their jobs if a Managing Director finds out about it.

True. Not my problem though. Happy to serve my customers!

STFXG

DRIVERS are allowed 6 violations in one year before being disqualified.

I repeat. DONT VIOLATE!!! Neither the contractor nor Fedex is held accountable.

Doesn't that include more than 2 in one week or one 70 hr violation? Never been close to a problem so I can't remember...