new hire question

scisector9

greetings all!
I was just hired recently from the outside as a ft permanant package car driver . I have been asking around my hub to see ifwith the new pending contract how my scheduled pay raises would work . if my hire date was before august 1 but I don't have seniority date until after Aug 1 will I be on the 3year or 4 year plan ? if it helps I am in central plains district and I know we voted down contract. happy to be part of the team.

cheers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would be covered by the current agreement.

Upstate was also an off-the-street hire (Apr 1989). You can expect to deal with resentment for other FTers and PTers who were close to getting a driving bid job. Ignore all of that and do the job to the best of your ability.

Indecisi0n

You would be covered by the current agreement.

I was also an off-the-street hire (Apr 1989). You can expect to deal with resentment for other FTers and PTers who were close to getting a driving bid job. Ignore all of that and do the job to the best of your ability.

Upstate rarely talks about himself here...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
greetings all!
I was just hired recently from the outside as a ft permanant package car driver . I have been asking around my hub to see ifwith the new pending contract how my scheduled pay raises would work . if my hire date was before august 1 but I don't have seniority date until after Aug 1 will I be on the 3year or 4 year plan ? if it helps I am in central plains district and I know we voted down contract. happy to be part of the team.

cheers

I'd advise you to contact your HR rep.

Have you worked for UPS before? We're currently in a free period at UPS. It's rare that UPS offers permanent employee to anybody during the free period, instead choosing to "audition" a group of seasonal hires, then picking the one it likes most. Even if you're selected early on, you likely won't receive a hire date until after Labor Day.

Quite honestly, we receive a large number of new posters every summer & peak season who make the same claim. UPS management loves to tell seasonal hires this, or that they're front runners for a FT opening, even when no such opening exists. (They also like to tell PTers they're next in line to go into driving/they'll pull strings for them, even though it's a lie). Most of these people never post again... wonder why, ? :P

scisector9

Thanks guys. And yes I would hope I was listed in "driver class" as a full time perm employee. I gave up a decent union job to come to this one, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Hope to be posting more in the future. Appreciate the help.

​Cheers

oldngray

nowhere special
Free period used to be just around Christmas. Then was extended for summer months. Its is getting so bad its unfair for new employees trying to achieve seniority.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Free period used to be just around Christmas. Then was extended for summer months. Its is getting so bad its unfair for new employees trying to achieve seniority.

It has gotten really bad. I'd rather see these guys hired full time then laid off when volume is low. Mid August - November will be a disaster at my center. We need to hire 4-5 drivers at least. They will load us all up for a few months and do everything they can to hold off until another seasonal period.

I blame the drivers that willingly do seasonal also though. If all of these guys would refuse seasonal and say no only if its full time. They would have to hire.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It has gotten really bad. I'd rather see these guys hired full time then laid off when volume is low. Mid August - November will be a disaster at my center. We need to hire 4-5 drivers at least. They will load us all up for a few months and do everything they can to hold off until another seasonal period.

I blame the drivers that willingly do seasonal also though. If all of these guys would refuse seasonal and say no only if its full time. They would have to hire.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butt either.

You ​appear to be serious. If so, this is really a pretty silly statement.