New PC's? Not sure if this has been posted.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
And wtf does it matter how much the truck weights when we have hundreds of eregs and overweights every day

So other companies can circumvent the DOT rules like this...

_20181024_230556.JPG

Whee... last night was fun bricking out my 12' boxtruck

Coldworld

60 months and counting
From the factory?

They only have us them put them in the trucks that the telematics keep getting unplugged.
Any driver who would try to unplug telematics is an idiot... wgaf about that... I never did but I guess there are some who that crap really matters...smh!!

DriverNerd

Couldn't they just put the electric motors in an existing PC body.

Unfortunately no. Because of the immense weight of batteries they have to (usually) be spread out low in the body. Most manufacturers choose beneath the floor in between the wheels to lower the center of gravity and help with handling. Just placing those batteries with the motor(s) in place of the engine would add a huge amount of weight in front making the vehicle unsafe to drive. Car manufacturers have tried the existing platform experiments for electric cars, just to determine it's cheaper and safer to just make a new vehicle from scratch.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Unfortunately no. Because of the immense weight of batteries they have to (usually) be spread out low in the body. Most manufacturers choose beneath the floor in between the wheels to lower the center of gravity and help with handling. Just placing those batteries with the motor(s) in place of the engine would add a huge amount of weight in front making the vehicle unsafe to drive. Car manufacturers have tried the existing platform experiments for electric cars, just to determine it's cheaper and safer to just make a new vehicle from scratch.

They could probably get the batteries to fit under the floor between the wheels if they removed the drive train components and put motors at each of the wheels. Could get four wheel drive out of it, and maybe some extra battery capacity in the engine compartment.

They could probably get the batteries to fit under the floor between the wheels if they removed the drive train components and put motors at each of the wheels. Could get four wheel drive out of it, and maybe some extra battery capacity in the engine compartment.
But a lot if these trucks are garbage to begin with and probably too heavy to retrofit them. why dump all that money on them?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But a lot if these trucks are garbage to begin with and probably too heavy to retrofit them. why dump all that money on them?

I don't know the numbers. I'm not saying they should retrofit, just thinking about whether or not they could. Certainly many cars should be scrapped, but the bodies are mostly aluminum and fiberglass, so I don't know if weight would be that big of an issue.

I don't know the numbers. I'm not saying they should retrofit, just thinking about whether or not they could. Certainly many cars should be scrapped, but the bodies are mostly aluminum and fiberglass, so I don't know if weight would be that big of an issue.
Have you seen the new electric vehicles? Much smaller. I honestly do think it's worth the money to do it.
Just like when they retro fittes some of the old package cars to CNG. They never worked correctly.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Have you seen the new electric vehicles? Much smaller. I honestly do think it's worth the money to do it.
Just like when they retro fittes some of the old package cars to CNG. They never worked correctly.

I'm sure you're right. I was just speculating. I had considered going into business retrofitting cars to electric motors at one point. Still a possibility, but much further down the road. One guy on youTube builds his own battery packs from old laptop battery cells, and drives around a retrofitted vw van. If someone were to get their hands on a package car, and come up with a workable, cost effective way to retrofit, that could be a profitable endeavor.

I'm sure you're right. I was just speculating. I had considered going into business retrofitting cars to electric motors at one point. Still a possibility, but much further down the road. One guy on youTube builds his own battery packs from old laptop battery cells, and drives around a retrofitted vw van. If someone were to get their hands on a package car, and come up with a workable, cost effective way to retrofit, that could be a profitable endeavor.
Maybe something smaller and lighter like a P700

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm sure you could find and old vehicle similar to what UPS uses and experiment with that. Not like you need something that is in running condition.

That would be worth looking into when I'm ready. A guy two blocks from me has a similar style box van, painted brown, parked in front of his house. Every time I drive by I think, "who's delivering at this hour?" I'll have to ask him if he's interested in having it converted.