New peak driver helper: lazy driver

Where the heck is Mr. Work Ethic the other 11 months of the year?

And by his standards why aren't we going to him for a job instead of the other way around?

Thebrownstreak

My old route basically consists of a highway with business's that runs of the middle of residential developments. My way of doing things was to help deliver the 20-30 business on the highway and then start doing residential's after that. So after those 20-30, I would rarely step off of the truck. Now if we had stops that were across the street from each other, I'd give the helper the one on the drivers side, so that by the time i was sitting down in the seat, the helper would be hitting the steps. I think that you have unrealistic expectations for what your driver is suppose to be doing. Most of the times while you are running of the package, i'm digging through the carnage in the back of the package car, setting up stop for stop. By 2-3 pm, the truck is in some sort of order that really allows for higher stops per hour.

Consider yourself lucky that he lets you sit in the truck. The driver that delivers to my house gives the helper a hand cart and he walks off 100-120 stops a day. I actually allow him to drop about 20 stops off on my front porch for the helper to pick up when he hits my block.

Rawrzxor

To be fair, I question everything, but I haven't made one complaint to my driver.

If it ends before Christmas Eve, I really don't care, but they told us in orientation that helpers are extended to jan 15th this year.

Rawrzxor

Just saying that in contrast to my last two drivers, this guy is a lot slower, so I wondered what the traditional driver/helper setup was. I'm not trying to whine or say it's too much work. Besides, any paycheck a more than 0 is worth it to me.

To be fair, I question everything, but I haven't made one complaint to my driver.

If it ends before Christmas Eve, I really don't care, but they told us in orientation that helpers are extended to jan 15th this year.

The ones that dont complain might be.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
A helper that questions a driver's methods, especially if they are a regular UPS employee, will catch a lot of grief from everyone.

You are just a box monkey, STFU and run your arse off so the driver can focus on providing superior one to one customer service.

Marne Vet

I'm not exactly sure what I should have expected as a driver helper. I've had 3 drivers due to a nasty cold and a back injury (I'm out of shape okay. >_>), and the first two were much more active than my latest driver.

He ends up taking around 5-15 packages while I'm with him (I started counting a few days ago), while I take DR and get signatures (forget what that's called) at around 180-215 packages per 6-8 hour shift. He does 30-50 before I arrive. Am I over-reacting? (I haven't really reacted, more of a, 'ow...my legs are on fire, couldn't he do a little more--or at least stop telling me I'm going slow while I'm faster than him')

I will admit to getting a little annoyed.

I'm getting slower by the day, but he acts as though I should be sprinting (my regular pace is about twice as fast as a general one, normally--I walk faster than he jog-walks)

Should I change drivers, or should I just bite the grindstone (since I'm a temp anyway) or whatever they say?

Permanent UPS looks like an outstanding opportunity, so I don't want to mess anything up by trying to switch drivers or anything like that.

You gotta be kidding me. Kid, until you've earned the seat that guy is sitting in, just do as you're instructed to, or apply for a position at McDonald's where you can question why you're flipping fries and not running the company after a few days.

Your job is simple. Here's a box, there's a door, don't bring it back. Repeat. If you can't hold mini conversations between stops, stay silent. Stay off your phone, and stick a tampon on whatever little pain you're starting to feel. We do this every week, week in and week out, all year long. You think a few weeks of Peak running is hectic? I don't care if whatever driver you were assigned to didn't get out of the truck until he got back to his hub. He's sorting, pulling stops to the front, and constantly organizing a chaotic mess that his Stevie Wonder Preloader crammed on him. I wish you were my helper. I really do. You'd be doing 75% of the 280 stops we run daily, and if you started whining to me about soreness, or how many stops you're running, the next stop you'd be making is the Bus Stop to take you home. This isn't about fairness. Fairness doesn't exist during Peak. You're the pack mule to take the brunt of this so we're not crippled by January 1st. Don't like it? I'll take a Big Mac and a large order of fries. Snap to it then Junior.

smfh

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You gotta be kidding me. Kid, until you've earned the seat that guy is sitting in, just do as you're instructed to, or apply for a position at McDonald's where you can question why you're flipping fries and not running the company after a few days.

Your job is simple. Here's a box, there's a door, don't bring it back. Repeat. If you can't hold mini conversations between stops, stay silent. Stay off your phone, and stick a tampon on whatever little pain you're starting to feel. We do this every week, week in and week out, all year long. You think a few weeks of Peak running is hectic? I don't care if whatever driver you were assigned to didn't get out of the truck until he got back to his hub. He's sorting, pulling stops to the front, and constantly organizing a chaotic mess that his Stevie Wonder Preloader crammed on him. I wish you were my helper. I really do. You'd be doing 75% of the 280 stops we run daily, and if you started whining to me about soreness, or how many stops you're running, the next stop you'd be making is the Bus Stop to take you home. This isn't about fairness. Fairness doesn't exist during Peak. You're the pack mule to take the brunt of this so we're not crippled by January 1st. Don't like it? I'll take a Big Mac and a large order of fries. Snap to it then Junior.

smfh

Just curious ... is that the Drill Sergeant riot act?
Pretty good regardless.

Rawrzxor

Heh. I asked a question since I'm new. Apparently, that means I'm the whiniest person on the planet.

I wonder if I'm going to be so bitchy when I'm making 60-90k a year with incredible benefits.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Heh. I asked a question since I'm new. Apparently, that means I'm the whiniest person on the planet.

I wonder if I'm going to be so bitchy when I'm making 60-90k a year with incredible benefits.
Based on my experience on the Brown Cafe ... yes you will!
They are actually tired and just worn out.
Pretty docile!

jaker

trolling

Yes and yes , but you want be making that much at ups for another 10 years

Rawrzxor

Yeah, I know. Start out at 30-35k, but get substantial yearly raises. 30k will do me just fine to start off.

Also, lol.

Marne Vet

The irony is that one day you'll come across a similar post, and totally understand what we're saying. Helpers are replaceable pack mules. They're just there to help you get the job done. You'll decide how, and if that means they run off every stop while you dig, sort, drive, and repeat, then so be it. If they help bare the brunt of the workload so you can rest your aching body a little, then that's what they'll do. You're the driver. You're trying to get the job done, effectively, and also make sure you're not blowing out your knees or back. If a helper gets too beat-up and can't handle the work, you'll get another one. Then another one, or even another one. How ever many it takes until you find a derby horse that can move like the wind, safely, and doesn't tire out or bitch your ear off till your ears bleed. If driving is what you want to do, then one day you'll be in that seat with 300 stops crammed into an old 800, and 2 inches of space between the bulkhead door and your top to bottom front to back load. A load that is probably 60% loaded correctly, 30% all friend'd up, and 10% missloads. Hopefully you'll get a few good helpers that'll help you get through these ridiculous seasons we call Peak. I have a helper this year that I didn't have to fire after day one. First time in years that my first helper has been with me from day one, and is almost to the finish line. He shows up on time, and that's about it. He's pretty slow, has a cell phone stuck to his ear half the day, but he hardly bitches about anything, and takes every stop I give him without question. He's worked in rain and snow, and didn't quit, or have a mysterious tummy ache on Friday. I tip this guy pretty damn good because he can put in a long hard day of physical work, and appreciate it. I come from a Military background, so hard work is nothing new to me. UPS is cake compared to a lot of things, and running boxes back and forth from a truck all day is probably one of the easiest things I've ever done. Shoot, make me a helper and let me just run stops off all day without driving, sorting, managing our time, or digging through a package car like I'm Indiana friend'ing Jones on a quest to find the Holy Grail.