New preloader, advice needed about being sent home early

Long time lurker. I'll get right to it. I work at a very small hub. First day was Monday. Worked about 3.5 Monday, 4 Tuesday, and 5 Wednesday. First of all, the sup texts the start time to us every day (that's a no no, but lets not even go there). So today the start time was 4:30. I wake up with a bad stomachache, feeling nauseous, but I come in anyway and don't say a word. We actually started work around 5. I load all of two boxes when the sup comes over and says he needs to send someone home because there's too many people. Feeling awful, I made the mistake of saying "you can send me home". He says I'll get a text about the start time for tomorrow morning later. I get a text when I get home saying they have enough people for tomorrow and I'll be informed if I'm needed Monday. Homey don't play dat. I know I'm entitled to my 3.5 even if I haven't made seniority, but I'm just unsure of what to do. Also, how does all of this effect my 30 days? Do I get credit for today even though I only worked for 26 minutes? And what happens tomorrow being that I don't even need to show up? I knew UPS liked to play games, I should have known. Southern region by the way. Also, orientation was only one day. Thanks for reading, any advice is appreciated.

upschuck

your 26 minutes count as a day, matter of fact 1 minute counts as a day. How many days do you have in? Keep track of each day.

Upstate, I was under the impression that I'm guaranteed 3.5 since seasonals can't be hired before 10/15, I guess I was wrong. Chuck, four days, not counting orientation. So how exactly do the 30 days work? I just have to work 30 days in a 120 day period then i gain seniority?

This is from the southern supplement:

ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period the employee may be discharged without fur- ther recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not dis- charge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-first (31st) working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and the employee’s seniority date shall be the first day worked within the one hundred and twenty (120) day period.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This is from the southern supplement:

ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period the employee may be discharged without fur- ther recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not dis- charge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-first (31st) working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and the employee’s seniority date shall be the first day worked within the one hundred and twenty (120) day period.
Until you get seniority....you are not entitled to your 3.5 hour guarantee. Your chances of working are better if you still show up at the start time everyday.

Welcome to your new UPS HUB, where you are only but a body with not even 30 days in and 0 seniority. Expect to be sent home if there are too many people on your belt. At my hub, the person with the most seniority gets sent home not with the lowest by the way.. It varies from hub to hub.

MendozaJ

I once had an eight hour week as a new guy. Some mornings I would walk in and get turned right back around. It wasn't unusual to get under 12 hours notice of start time. You have no representation.

atronatomic

I went through something similar my first week. Show up every day and work hard...then they'll find a place for you and let you work, maybe even keep you late for those extra Dollar$.
Someone is bound to call in or not show up and if you're a hard worker, they'll find a place for you everyday (especially if they know to expect you each shift, then they'll call off the dude that makes $25 an hour doing the same job and let you work).

atronatomic

I worded that wrong. If volume is light, they'll probably call said $25 an hour preload worker and ask if want the day off (who doesn't want to sleep in!?!) and pay us half of that for the same job. Payroll, payroll, payroll. Just work hard and you'll be fine.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
You're a long time lurker, but you just started Monday? Weird.

As others have said, noobs are not guaranteed anything. You'll have plenty of time to make the 30 days, just don't make yourself available to be sent home when you're already on the belt.

Dr.Brownz

I went through something similar my first week. Show up every day and work hard...then they'll find a place for you and let you work, maybe even keep you late for those extra Dollar$.
Someone is bound to call in or not show up and if you're a hard worker, they'll find a place for you everyday (especially if they know to expect you each shift, then they'll call off the dude that makes $25 an hour doing the same job and let you work).

And if you knew the contract you would know they cant "call off" more senior workers; they have the right to work over new guys

To op: you arnt guaranteed anything until you gain senority at the end of your 30 days

upschuck

Upstate, I was under the impression that I'm guaranteed 3.5 since seasonals can't be hired before 10/15, I guess I was wrong. Chuck, four days, not counting orientation. So how exactly do the 30 days work? I just have to work 30 days in a 120 day period then i gain seniority?
A day is considered as any day you are paid a penny. The 30 days count as long as you are not considered seasonal., and the 120 is calendar days, not work days

atronatomic

And if you knew the contract you would know they cant "call off" more senior workers; they have the right to work over new guys

To op: you arnt guaranteed anything until you gain senority at the end of your 30 days

Right, but most guys in my hub would rather have the day off as they also work full time "day jobs". They're often called and asked "would you like the day off", which they reply "yes". Get it? Or should I explain more in depth?

If you are a layoff for that day, can you still demand your guarantee? It is my understanding that the guarantee only applies to days in which you actually work. Is this incorrect?
BTW, I am a PT preloader in a small building, and it seems that management pretty much does what they want with regards to us hourlies. It took us banding together and complaining to the center manager in order to get our extra dollar that we should have been getting all along. Am I (and others) missing out on guarantee pay as well?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If you are a layoff for that day, can you still demand your guarantee? It is my understanding that the guarantee only applies to days in which you actually work. Is this incorrect?
BTW, I am a PT preloader in a small building, and it seems that management pretty much does what they want with regards to us hourlies. It took us banding together and complaining to the center manager in order to get our extra dollar that we should have been getting all along. Am I (and others) missing out on guarantee pay as well?

Voluntary layoff or notified of layoff?

If you're a VLO, then no. If you've been notified of a one day layoff, then also no. You're only guaranteed your 3.5/day upon reporting to work.

If you're a preloader and not being paid the preloader rate, then you're owed that $1/hr for all hours worked at the non-preloader rate of pay. How long ago was this?