New Seasonal Driver Is This Normal?

tomtoe

If my fellow UPS drivers could please chime in on this I would greatly appreciate it:

I do seasonal work and was looking for a decent paying job to get me through winter until work picks up again. I have plenty of experience driving so I figured I would take a full time job driving for UPS for the holidays since their hourly rate was higher than the other shipping companies.

I was told over and over again by HR that this was a full time job with the average day being 10 hours long.

I started full time as a seasonal package car driver 3 weeks ago...

Week 1: 3.5 days completed computer and class training (paid minimum wage)
week 2: 1 day (8 hours x18.75) ride along with senior driver
week 3: 2 days (16 hours x18.75) drive with supervisor (passed), I was told I will not start working my route until the week of thanksgiving.

I was already sent home twice with no pay when they told me to come in to work.

Is this typical for seasonal drivers or am I getting :censored2:*D

I am coming up on being an employee for a month and still am no where close to having a weeks work of pay?

I am disappointed and was wondering if this is normal for seasonal drivers and if any of you guys had any similar experiences? This is not what I was told when I started and was wondering if I should stick it out or start looking for other work knowing I am going to be laid off at the end of December?

If my fellow UPS drivers could please chime in on this I would greatly appreciate it:

I do seasonal work and was looking for a decent paying job to get me through winter until work picks up again. I have plenty of experience driving so I figured I would take a full time job driving for UPS for the holidays since their hourly rate was higher than the other shipping companies.

I was told over and over again by HR that this was a full time job with the average day being 10 hours long.

I started full time as a seasonal package car driver 3 weeks ago...

Week 1: 3.5 days completed computer and class training (paid minimum wage)
week 2: 1 day (8 hours x18.75) ride along with senior driver
week 3: 2 days (16 hours x18.75) drive with supervisor (passed), I was told I will not start working my route until the week of thanksgiving.

Is this typical for seasonal drivers or am I getting :censored2:*D

I am coming up on being an employee for a month and still am no where close to having a weeks work of pay?

I am disappointed and was wondering if this is normal for seasonal drivers and if any of you guys had any similar experiences? This is not what I was told when I started and was wondering if I should stick it out or start looking for other work knowing I am going to be laid off at the end of December?
Sounds about right. Maybe you could ask to work inside or deliver air in the morning for some hours. Big A is right when he says you'll pray for a day off after Thanksgiving. My building is warning drivers to plan on working 6 days a week.

ManInBrown

Yup it sucks but that’s what they do. Most days they probably know they won’t need you but they’ll make you come in anyway to see if you cop an attitude when you’re sent home. Testing you.

Years ago we had a casual in my center who burned every route to the ground. They loved the guy. He was a lock to get hired. One night in December they asked him to do something when he was done. He said no. Came in off the road and they told him he was no longer needed. Just like that, gone. You’re there biotch. Do as you’re told or take a hike. They really don’t care. They’ll find another warm body. Sucks but that’s the way it works.

Heavy Package

And UPS wonders why it is hard to recruit and retain people....Let's hire a consultant to figure this one out...