New Social Security bill

bacha29

Once again, FICA (Social Security) is the only retirement plan whose retirement contributions are federally insured. The reasons why repeated efforts to privatize Social Security and Medicare have failed miserably are well documented.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Once again, FICA (Social Security) is the only retirement plan whose retirement contributions are federally insured. The reasons why repeated efforts to privatize Social Security and Medicare have failed miserably are well documented.
Would argue that some Teamster pension funds are federally insured after the recent taxpayer bailouts.

vantexan

it didnt fail, you used to do it. i have a post on my anti capitalism thread.
That very high percentage rate only kicked in at very high income amounts. Adjusted for inflation a person could earn millions a year before the highest bracket would kick in and take what was it, 90%, above that amount.

vantexan

A lot of people do not understand social security
It takes 35 years of your best earnings adjusted for inflation
That I do know. And they plug in zeros for the years you don't have income. You do get a benefit if you only have 10 years, 40 credits, but it's a minimal benefit. What I was reacting to was the statement that some people are collecting a SS benefit without having paid into it. If we're talking disability then that's true. But not for regular SS.

In all this talk about insolvency it should be pointed out that after the 2008 crisis a lot of people went on unemployment. When their unemployment ran out the Obama administration was letting a lot of them get disability even though they weren't disabled. I wonder how many of those are still collecting?

That I do know. And they plug in zeros for the years you don't have income. You do get a benefit if you only have 10 years, 40 credits, but it's a minimal benefit. What I was reacting to was the statement that some people are collecting a SS benefit without having paid into it. If we're talking disability then that's true. But not for regular SS.

In all this talk about insolvency it should be pointed out that after the 2008 crisis a lot of people went on unemployment. When their unemployment ran out the Obama administration was letting a lot of them get disability even though they weren't disabled. I wonder how many of those are still collecting?
Unfortunately SSI comes out of the same money pool

vantexan

Unfortunately SSI comes out of the same money pool
And that's a different program too. SSDI, Social Security Disability Income, is full blown disability, which Obama let a lot of people get who weren't actually disabled. SSI, Supplemental Security Income, is a smaller check designed to assist people with very low incomes.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
One program that provides benefits to people, not based on their work history, is Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The SSI program is a needs-based program that provides benefits to the disabled and retirees if they meet the financial requirements

vantexan

But that's not the same as saying people are getting Social Security without having paid into it. SSI is a separate program within Social Security designed to assist the very poor. Looked into it for my mother who has a low SS benefit but she didn't qualify because her income was too high and she owned a car. Her income was right below the poverty line which gives you an idea about how poor you have to be to get SSI. So why don't the ones who get SSI just go get a job? Usually it's someone who has a disability that keeps them from working but because they're young their disability check, based on work record, is minimal. Say something like $500-700 a month. So they might get an extra few hundred from SSI.

Funny story. If you get SS Disability you can live overseas and collect it. Not so with SSI. 25 years ago knew a guy who managed to get a $400 a month SSI check. Moved to the Philippines, got by fine including a young Filipina girlfriend. Was bragging about his great life online. His ex-wife saw it, he owed her child support, and she reported him. SSI ended, he was flat broke in the Philippines. His girlfriend left him. Eventually he stopped posting after a failed attempt to make money by doing "investigative reports" on places to live in the Philippines for a fee.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
But that's not the same as saying people are getting Social Security without having paid into it. SSI is a separate program within Social Security designed to assist the very poor. Looked into it for my mother who has a low SS benefit but she didn't qualify because her income was too high and she owned a car. Her income was right below the poverty line which gives you an idea about how poor you have to be to get SSI. So why don't the ones who get SSI just go get a job? Usually it's someone who has a disability that keeps them from working but because they're young their disability check, based on work record, is minimal. Say something like $500-700 a month. So they might get an extra few hundred from SSI.

Funny story. If you get SS Disability you can live overseas and collect it. Not so with SSI. 25 years ago knew a guy who managed to get a $400 a month SSI check. Moved to the Philippines, got by fine including a young Filipina girlfriend. Was bragging about his great life online. His ex-wife saw it, he owed her child support, and she reported him. SSI ended, he was flat broke in the Philippines. His girlfriend left him. Eventually he stopped posting after a failed attempt to make money by doing "investigative reports" on places to live in the Philippines for a fee.
Same fund. People that never put in anything are collecting. Doesn't matter what name you put on it.

vantexan

Same fund. People that never put in anything are collecting. Doesn't matter what name you put on it.
Had an argument with a man years ago who was angry that anyone, disabled included, who were getting anything from SS but not retired. Said SS was created for and was only supposed to be for retirees. Not so. Look into it. Obama abused the program. There are people gaming the system. But SSI is a legit program for people who with a little extra are managing to survive. If a person is 35, legally blind, can't get a job, and his SS disability is $650 a month, what do we do? Tell them to go die? They aren't getting rich. Not even getting more than a few hundred dollars extra with SSI. But with that, Section 8 housing, food stamps, they can get by. We should be focused on getting the abusers and fraudsters out of the program, but we can be a decent society by taking care of those in true need.