NEW SODA TAX IN DC!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Doesn’t work. If people want something they get it. Drive to a surrounding county or state that doesn’t have the tax. Just like guns, cigarettes, sales tax, you name it.
This probably explains why my Monster Java coffees cost so much more when I was over there. Every time I went back though I just wised up and bought a bunch back home before I even got on the turnpike. Instead of Philly making some extra money off of me they just missed out on the revenue altogether.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This probably explains why my Monster Java coffees cost so much more when I was over there. Every time I went back though I just wised up and bought a bunch back home before I even got on the turnpike. Instead of Philly making some extra money off of me they just missed out on the revenue altogether.
People adapt, overcome.

It's like Biden's plan to punish with a whole slew with higher taxes. People will adjust, modify, and adapt. The net result will be less revenue coming in to the government.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
they need to increase the tax then.

the increased price regardless wll affect demand
Nope. Take a twenty minute drive and cases of soda don’t have the tax. This is a microcosm of anything the government tries to control with a tax. Tobacco, alcohol, weed, guns, gasoline. If people decide they need it, they will get it. And not always through the regulated channels.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope. Take a twenty minute drive and cases of soda don’t have the tax. This is a microcosm of anything the government tries to control with a tax. Tobacco, alcohol, weed, guns, gasoline. If people decide they need it, they will get it. And not always through the regulated channels.
And the result will be DC losing revenue

rickyb

regulations can work and so do taxes. not always obviously

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
People adapt, overcome.

It's like Biden's plan to punish with a whole slew with higher taxes. People will adjust, modify, and adapt. The net result will be less revenue coming in to the government.
And the important aspect of this is that the smarter and wealthier people will dodge and adjust so the middle class and poor are the ones that will suffer.