New to the site, question about light duty

Preventable

Having worked for a bad company to work for and a really good company to work for... Fedex express is middle of the road, maybe leaning towards the good (due to medical stuff in current climate)... that being said I am very critical of a lot of stuff they do, how managers treat you etc. I especially sympathize with you as a swing driver... That being said, if you have less money deposited in your bank account week after week by going in on light duty (I don't see the need to even use this thread because likely this person is back fulltime or terminated at this point) vs sitting at home wanking it something shady is going on... On the other hand if you are going in on light duty and only making 69% of your regular wage for 10 hours work vs. 66% for wanking it at home then boohoo cry me a river, and cry a river for all your fellow swings who have to pick up the slack.

Swngdrvr

Having worked for a bad company to work for and a really good company to work for... Fedex express is middle of the road, maybe leaning towards the good (due to medical stuff in current climate)... that being said I am very critical of a lot of stuff they do, how managers treat you etc. I especially sympathize with you as a swing driver... That being said, if you have less money deposited in your bank account week after week by going in on light duty (I don't see the need to even use this thread because likely this person is back fulltime or terminated at this point) vs sitting at home wanking it something shady is going on... On the other hand if you are going in on light duty and only making 69% of your regular wage for 10 hours work vs. 66% for wanking it at home then boohoo cry me a river, and cry a river for all your fellow swings who have to pick up the slack.

The point is that you shouldn't have to make less money to come in for a fabricated TRW position when other people don't have to. TRW does nothing for vacation accrual, and it does not have any effect on when you will be displaced. The only thing it's good for is keeping up with health insurance payments. I did it for the month of September, before my surgery on October 3rd. I have been on a 5 pound weight restriction ever since, so they said no TRW because the address corrections I was doing don't meet the time requirement(10 hours) for TRW to pay out.

To your point: sitting at home "wanking it" is not what I call what has been happening. I had PT 3 times a week since October. I have seen no progress with my injury, and if anything the doctor said while I was on TRW I made it worse because I had to use my injured arm constantly. TRW is not always the answer. I understand that some people milk their "injuries" to miss work. I'm not one of those people. I have been in constant pain since July of last year. I've done everything worker's comp has instructed me to, everything my manager has wanted me to do, and I am in a worse situation now than I was then.

My station has 21 swings, most are getting paid minimums each week after being sent home at noon right now. There is no need to pick up the slack of my absence.

My next surgery is scheduled for April 17th. I'll be out at least another 4-6 months.

overflowed

The point is that you shouldn't have to make less money to come in for a fabricated TRW position when other people don't have to. TRW does nothing for vacation accrual, and it does not have any effect on when you will be displaced. The only thing it's good for is keeping up with health insurance payments. I did it for the month of September, before my surgery on October 3rd. I have been on a 5 pound weight restriction ever since, so they said no TRW because the address corrections I was doing don't meet the time requirement(10 hours) for TRW to pay out.

To your point: sitting at home "wanking it" is not what I call what has been happening. I had PT 3 times a week since October. I have seen no progress with my injury, and if anything the doctor said while I was on TRW I made it worse because I had to use my injured arm constantly. TRW is not always the answer. I understand that some people milk their "injuries" to miss work. I'm not one of those people. I have been in constant pain since July of last year. I've done everything worker's comp has instructed me to, everything my manager has wanted me to do, and I am in a worse situation now than I was then.

My station has 21 swings, most are getting paid minimums each week after being sent home at noon right now. There is no need to pick up the slack of my absence.

My next surgery is scheduled for April 17th. I'll be out at least another 4-6 months.
Baffles me the stations with swings going home on mins. I have never been at one. The stations I've been at you're begging to get off early but never happens. Work 12 hour days everyday. I think the first year at fedex I made around 60k .

Star B

White Lightening
in our neck of the woods, most of the swings are barely making mins due to creative scheduling. The ones that aren't marginally above the line are the experienced swings that run the complicated/busy/unique routes.

... and no, I'm not talking about "Hey, show up, run P1, take a break from 10:30-2PM and do pups" type of scheduling.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

in our neck of the woods, most of the swings are barely making mins due to creative scheduling. The ones that aren't marginally above the line are the experienced swings that run the complicated/busy/unique routes.

... and no, I'm not talking about "Hey, show up, run P1, take a break from 10:30-2PM and do pups" type of scheduling.

Sounds like an ideal job for a college student or a parent with kids in school.

Purplepackage

Baffles me the stations with swings going home on mins. I have never been at one. The stations I've been at you're begging to get off early but never happens. Work 12 hour days everyday. I think the first year at fedex I made around 60k .

Before transferring and going part time my last year at my old station I came so close to 100k. Grossed 97k, it was a really bad year for injuries and people quitting

Swngdrvr

We used to get 60 hours every week. Now with DRA and my SM trying to cut overtime, we're lucky to get 7 hours a day. Thy hired two PM swings that we never had before DRA. For a long time we were short staffed in the PM. Now all the routes are full and there's not much left over.

McFeely

Huge Member
Sounds like an ideal job for a college student or a parent with kids in school.

Except as a swing there is little to no chance of expecting your schedule to stay that way on a day-to-day basis. Hell, just being a FT courier with a route doesn't mean you'll start and finish at the same time everyday. Too many variables with Express; late freight, canceled routes, etc.

CutToTheChase

Once you are injured at FedEx, you are painted neon orange and prepped for termination. The whole process is set-up to jettison employees who have been hurt.
Yeah right...we have a courier that goes out 3x a year...she came back after being out 35 days..worked a week..and now out with a new made up injury...they can't touch you as long as you find a good doctor who keeps putting you out

Swngdrvr

I'm still out of work by the way. Second surgery was April 17th. I still have pain and still can't use my arm like I'm supposed to. The doctor just keeps telling me it will get better with time. This whole process has been a joke.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm still out of work by the way. Second surgery was April 17th. I still have pain and still can't use my arm like I'm supposed to. The doctor just keeps telling me it will get better with time. This whole process has been a joke.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you'll soon start getting better.

Artee

Yeah right...we have a courier that goes out 3x a year...she came back after being out 35 days..worked a week..and now out with a new made up injury...they can't touch you as long as you find a good doctor who keeps putting you out

Though only coming back for 35 days does not reset the 90 day clock. She has 55 days to make it back. It used to be you had to come back for 90 days before you got a fresh 90. Or if its a different injury the rules are different?

SmithBarney

Also keep in mind the 35/90 day thing is up to management discretion, so unless you are hated by management or are at an overstaffed location(haha) you probably don't have to worry, plus if you are out that long with an injury, chances are you need the time off.

Purplepackage

One of my long time buddies was out almost a year after he had to get a kidney transplant due to cancer. Kept his job and his route, management doesn't always have their up their ass