New UK Feeder vehicles?

Tiny Panda

Trucks in the UK are governed by strict length limits

There are bonneted trucks such as this Scania from a company local to me

But in using one of these they have to run shortened trailers to comply with the length limits. Scania and Volvo are really the only that offer bonneted trucks in Europe and they are normally special order and cost a lot more than a cabover

Tiny Panda

Its like everything you just get used to it, unfortunately UK roads/junctions arent suited for trucks like this and you often have to "edge" out in the road to actually be able to see

MuppetUK

I think Tiny Pandas phot "Possible new vehicle combination could become a reality. In Sweden, Norway and Holland similar combinations called Eco-links are being used (although I don't think by UPS at the minute). Would be ideal for large volume feeder runs all they would need to buy are some Dollies for the semi trailer to sit on. Eco-links are also being trialled in Germany andalthough the UK government is reluctant to allow them currently, I can see them being a reality in future due to increasing shortages of drivers and the environmental benefits. We currently run trucks to Both Dublin and Calais as well as Edinburgh and Glasgow, I could see them being used on these.
On another note in the last Month we received 23 brand new Drawbar trucks (DAF CFs) at Tamworth. A lot of them are still sitting in the depot though which seems ridiculous as we are currently overwhelmed with work and haven't enough Prime Movers, Tractors or trailers! lol

Tiny Panda

I think Tiny Pandas phot "Possible new vehicle combination could become a reality. In Sweden, Norway and Holland similar combinations called Eco-links are being used (although I don't think by UPS at the minute). Would be ideal for large volume feeder runs all they would need to buy are some Dollies for the semi trailer to sit on. Eco-links are also being trialled in Germany andalthough the UK government is reluctant to allow them currently, I can see them being a reality in future due to increasing shortages of drivers and the environmental benefits. We currently run trucks to Both Dublin and Calais as well as Edinburgh and Glasgow, I could see them being used on these.
On another note in the last Month we received 23 brand new Drawbar trucks (DAF CFs) at Tamworth. A lot of them are still sitting in the depot though which seems ridiculous as we are currently overwhelmed with work and haven't enough Prime Movers, Tractors or trailers! lol

The government has already vetoed the LHV's (longer heavier vehicles) apparently our roads arent up the extra weights although its no different to having 2 trucks running one behind another just half the emissions.

Our feeders commented on the new Daf's sat at Tamworth, from what i heard they are due to replace the Daf tractors & trailers. Apparently there is more economical sense in leaving the truck bodies at customers premises rather than a trailer especially if its not going to be completely filled. Also means they have more flexibility with the drags if not busy.

Have to see, they're putting me thru my class one soon.

We have recently lost one of our tractor units at SOU and gained a third DAF drawbar vehicle.
As a result, all of our feeds (to Tamworth, Stansted and Barking) are all done using wag and drag vehicles.

Tiny Panda

We finally got a new prime mover at our centre or at least i thought we did, apparently we've only got it because the shunter at Tamworth took the front end off the regular one with a drag he was moving round the yard