New UPS service-"Basic 85"??

pkgman001

Has anyone heard about a new service called "Basic 85"? It's supposed to be like regular Basic, except that 85% is delivered by USPS. Not sure which 85% though.

pkgman001

It might be that PAS will determine if there is another delivery at or near the stop. If so, the pkg will be delivered by UPS. If not, the package will be delivered to Post Office. Just a guess.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must remember that we're talking about UPS!:happy2:

No, his response makes absolutely no sense. He is saying the UPS will wait until the pkg comes in to the center and then, based upon PAS, will determine whether the pkg is delivered to the consignee or to the USPS. The PAL is generated by scanning the bullseye which will have either the consignee's address or the address of the P.O., not both.

Big Babooba

No, his response makes absolutely no sense. He is saying the UPS will wait until the pkg comes in to the center and then, based upon PAS, will determine whether the pkg is delivered to the consignee or to the USPS. The PAL is generated by scanning the bullseye which will have either the consignee's address or the address of the P.O., not both.
If you think about it, all Basic packages delivered to the Post Office already have two addresses and two bar codes on them. It wouldn't take much tweaking of the system to determine where a Basic package would be delivered to once it reaches the center. If I have three Basic packages addressed to the Post Office for three addresses that I have other stuff for, wouldn't it benefit UPS if I could eliminate one stop?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It might be that PAS will determine if there is another delivery at or near the stop. If so, the pkg will be delivered by UPS. If not, the package will be delivered to Post Office. Just a guess.

... makes absolutely no sense. He is saying the UPS will wait until the pkg comes in to the center and then, based upon PAS, will determine whether the pkg is delivered to the consignee or to the USPS. The PAL is generated by scanning the bullseye which will have either the consignee's address or the address of the P.O., not both.

Actually it could work but UPS would have to modify some systems to make it work.
OPLD would have to feed PAS and PAS would have to match up using AMS if needed and then reconcile.
Then an exception would have to occur so that the "Post Office address" label would have to be removed.
A lot of systems work would have to be done and UPS would have to do the reconciliation prior to providing the data feed to the USPS.

JustTired

free at last.......
Actually it could work but UPS would have to modify some systems to make it work.
OPLD would have to feed PAS and PAS would have to match up using AMS if needed and then reconcile.
Then an exception would have to occur so that the "Post Office address" label would have to be removed.
A lot of systems work would have to be done and UPS would have to do the reconciliation prior to providing the data feed to the USPS.

Piece of cake!!

After all, we've seen how good PAS/EDD has been at more efficient traces, less miles, more satisfied customers, etc. (Hope my sarcasm is showing)!

I'm thinking the "85" is the percentage of pkgs (or,more accurately, stops) that will ultimately be delivered by the Post Office. Those rural carriers better be looking into a cargo van of some sort. Their car won't cut it when that goes through.

pkgman001

I just looked at the rates that UPS pays to the Post Office. UPS pays about $1.50 for a 1 LB, and about $1.75 for a 5 LB. Plus there's the cost of dropping it at the PO in the first place. So, if there were two pkgs to the same address, (one "regular" and one Basic) it seems like it would save UPS at least $1.50 to deliver them both.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I understand we are coming out with a new service, "Previous Day Air".

You send it out Monday, it arrives the previous Friday. That way, you still have the weekend.

beentheredonethat

I don't think we feed the USPS, we just delivery the pkgs to them. They delivery the pkg to the final consignee, they give us back the scan result (ie delv) for their tracking number, which is linked to the particular shipper, and we reconcile it withthe 1Z, to show the status on ups.com and other such QV web sites. I see something like this as to difficult to put in, and not worth the savings it could generate with all the coding. Plus customers want to know how it will be delivered, one day UPS delivers a pkg, the next USPS does it. Causes confusion on customer.

The Basic 85, is just most all zips will be delivered by USPS for final mile, except for the most urban of areas, where it's cheaper for us to do it.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i think this service is coming, it isnt here yet. i know for the last few months corproate has been asking me for targeted customers....havent come up with much. minimum volume and dilluting ground residential revenue is the problem we are up against.

Its time the teamsters stop the basic program or subcontracting program. We are losing job due to basic now! It's suppose to be addressed in january at the next national meeting! Our small center has lost 10% of the volume to basic. Which calculates to one route. Stop basics now!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its time the teamsters stop the basic program or subcontracting program. We are losing job due to basic now! It's suppose to be addressed in january at the next national meeting! Our small center has lost 10% of the volume to basic. Which calculates to one route. Stop basics now!!!!

Please explain how we are losing volume and jobs to Basic. The volume is still there, the stops are down because we are delivering to the Post Office instead of the consignee. Would you prefer that all of that volume went USPS from shipper to P.O.?

I am not a big fan of Basic, especially in the rural areas, as the consignee is waiting an extra day (or more) to get their pkg. My area is in the city and I would guess that at least 1/3 of my residential pkgs are Basic.

Basic is not going anywhere; if anything, I see an increase as people try to find the cheapest way to send their pkgs.

Basic is not subcontracting.

tae111

I have an account that ships around 500 small packages a day with a private carrier . The paperwork says UPS Mail Innovations. The lables are addressed and bar-coded but have no 1z number. The driver says he brings them to a central warehouse about 50 miles away.(the account is right next to a UPS hub)He says he thinks the packages are re-labled and sent to the post office. The addresses are not po box or apo box but regular street addresses. Not sure if this is Basic but it seems like it could be. They are not touched by any UPS people. This sounds like subcontracting to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have an account that ships around 500 small packages a day with a private carrier . The paperwork says UPS Mail Innovations. The lables are addressed and bar-coded but have no 1z number. The driver says he brings them to a central warehouse about 50 miles away.(the account is right next to a UPS hub)He says he thinks the packages are re-labled and sent to the post office. The addresses are not po box or apo box but regular street addresses. Not sure if this is Basic but it seems like it could be. They are not touched by any UPS people. This sounds like subcontracting to me.

That is not Basic.