Newbie hires, Who makes the cut after peak?

working up a sweat

I am a long time inside the hub package sorter and veteran of many peak seasons. I read all the newbie posts asking questions about working for UPS. In person, I try to give advise and tell them tips on how to work smart and safely and earn respect of your fellow workers and sups. Almost half quit after 2 weeks and most of the others can't keep up with the pace. The people who survive are mostly older and mature and have families . They want to provide health insurance for them. That is my observation.

NJKen

36yr old Casual Driver here.. Started in August and Friday was my last day of work ( I think LoL) Was never formally or informally told I was done, but I did let my center manager know that I was hoping to make a career out of UPS and was told to talk to him on Thursday :Crosses Fingers:

The reason I want in is because of the job stability. Health benefits for me are a non issue as my wife is a teacher with an amazing plan that we contribute $100 bucks a month to for the family plan. Peak was the hardest job I have ever had in my life but looking back it was very rewarding knowing that I not only did it but did it well (according to sups and center manager). If I get in...Teamsters and Teachers Unions in the same house, I think we'll be good

curiousbrain

When I hire new people and/or do the "orientation", I always walk them around the building, giving them the official schpeel about how the operation works, the physical grind of the job, stress, blah blah blah .. then, I always make it a point to stop and quickly ask them: "Why did you take this job?"

Most people, without fail, stumble around and fish for an answer, as if there is a correct one to that question. This peak, I had an older gentleman, who didn't skip a beat and said "Benefits; my family." Not only was he there every day, but never complained, and did exactly what I asked him to do. Now, obviously, some of that is the "I want to be hired" enthusiasm, but it was also because he had a clear reason for being there and never had to wonder for even a second why he was putting up with all the crap.

When most of the younger people are done fishing for an answer to the original question, I stop them and tell them exactly what I think: Find a reason why you work here (it can't be the money), or you will never survive. And, most of them don't - went through a ton of new hires this peak. One guy lasted two hours.

I don't think that's strictly a reflection of the environment that exists at UPS, but also a reflection on some of the younger generation.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Meh, you either have it or you don't. 15 years ago I went on the tour, got the whole "this job is a nightmare" monologue and decided to take a swing at it. I came in with the mindset of " you won't break me" and I carry with me everyday whilst moseying in on the designated walk path.

Is it hard? Sure. Am I rewarded for my efforts? Absolutely. I see it every time I glance at my children sleeping in their warm beds, in the house my Union job affords. In the nice car my wife drives them to daycare in. At their pediatrician's office when they get sick. I'm rarely given a pat on the back for a job well done, but I receive as much as I give.

Sometimes my wife will lament to me about how hard her day was and I chuckle a little on the inside. "How was your day?" she will sometimes ask, to which I respond " I don't really feel like re-living it." Still somehow, I manage to get up in the morning and do it all over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't let them break you. It is after all, just cardboard boxes. Also keep in mind, if it were easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Con1989

Meh, you either have it or you don't. 15 years ago I went on the tour, got the whole "this job is a nightmare" monologue and decided to take a swing at it. I came in with the mindset of " you won't break me" and I carry with me everyday whilst moseying in on the designated walk path.

Is it hard? Sure. Am I rewarded for my efforts? Absolutely. I see it every time I glance at my children sleeping in their warm beds, in the house my Union job affords. In the nice car my wife drives them to daycare in. At their pediatrician's office when they get sick. I'm rarely given a pat on the back for a job well done, but I receive as much as I give.

Sometimes my wife will lament to me about how hard her day was and I chuckle a little on the inside. "How was your day?" she will sometimes ask, to which I respond " I don't really feel like re-living it." Still somehow, I manage to get up in the morning and do it all over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't let them break you. It is after all, just cardboard boxes. Also keep in mind, if it were easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I started 9/10/12 and I'm still surviving, I might be 35 pounds lighter but I went in with the same mindset " you won't break me." hopefully down the line I can acquire the luxuries you talked about.( house, car, family living comfortably, Etc.....) The pay does suck at the beginning but that 90 day raise and pick off raise does help, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

barnyard

KTM rider
The truth of the matter is that most PT people will not become a FT UPSer. There are almost as many PT people at my center as FT. The newest driver is a 10 year PTer. I have been a cover guy for 10 and do not see me bidding a route anytime soon. In the next 5 years a couple of drivers might retire and 1 or 2 more will leave. UPS looses market share every year. The math suggests that for most people a PT UPS job is a dead end job. Some will make it to FT, but not most.

laffter

When most of the younger people are done fishing for an answer to the original question, I stop them and tell them exactly what I think: Find a reason why you work here (it can't be the money), or you will never survive. And, most of them don't - went through a ton of new hires this peak. One guy lasted two hours.

I took this job because I needed a job. So technically my answer would have been "money". I had heard about how great the benefits were, but didn't put much thought into that.

After a year and a half, I think I've beaten the odds.

I've been signing the bid sheets, and when the opportunity comes, I will drive. But it's not necessarily a plan or goal of mine. I don't think that far ahead.