Next DIAD?

VTBrown

No....if you are "told" to DR apartments. It's NO LONGER questionable now is it?

The only change to apartments and doing a DR is in regards to locked apartment buildings where you gain access one way or another. Then you are allowed to DR to the apartment door.

Your still not supposed to DR to any other type of apartment building unless the apartments have their own entrances.

A camera in the Diad is a bad idea. Completely unneeded.

Pretty sure that it's there in case there is a problem with the DIAD's wireless/cellular connection and you have to send the package information the old way... with a phone. Used to have to do that like every 20 minutes with the old boards when you were delivering in a high rise.... :laugh:

BigBrownSanta

As I remember it, you dialed an 800 number and listened for a tone, then hit a button on the diad to send the data, after the diad stopped sending the data, you listened to the phone for a tone, if there was no tone, the data was sent correctly.

I don't think it utilized a mic.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid about the mic...:eek:

BigBrownSanta

I beg to differ with you on this one - Certain countries use Alfa-Numeric Zip codes just look north my friend for such an example
Agreed. But in the US, no one uses letters in their zip code.

That's probably the problem. These diads were produced for international use. Maybe the diad's need to be updated here in the US.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Built in "Nite-Vision" for delivering to residential areas during peak. Side scan radar for dogs lurking in the bushes .......

VTBrown

As I remember it, you dialed an 800 number and listened for a tone, then hit a button on the diad to send the data, after the diad stopped sending the data, you listened to the phone for a tone, if there was no tone, the data was sent correctly.

Correct on that one.

DiadDude

This is how DIAD 2 and 3 worked. The same functionality exisits in the DIAD 4, but it is now with the microphone, the comunication is two way and the DIAD gets a "success" tone back from the other system.

DIAD 4 also does the "dialing and listening" parts of the process for you. With DIAD 4 you just take a phone off the hook, hold it up to the DIAD and press the send key on your board.

No need for the paranoia.

Just Lurking

There is two ways to solve this paranoia.

1. Cuss every profane word you know into the microphone about your supervisor. If you get overloaded with more work than he hears you.

Or if you do not cuss then try

2. Talk into the microphone about how you need overtime because you are short money. If you are heard than your hours will get cut. This way you know they can hear and you get reduced dispatch.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
but here we are told to DR apartments if we can gain access to the building.

When I was a helper in Denver last Peak, the policy was to leave the packages if we could gain access to the building AND the building was secure--as in the building's door had to be unlocked by a resident OR buzzed in. -Rocky

DS

Fenderbender
Still on diad 3 here...I had a brand new one(well it looked new)
that started crashing and rebooting last week,unexpected restart..
great....right in the middle of delivering a skid or two to the home depot.
I scanned 15 pkgs,it reboots,and it shows 12 pkgs scanned...I had to rescan most of them to get the right pkg count....that happened 3 times at that one stop.Battery full...then it was fine...I asked for a different one,they said its brand new! try it one more day...hmm
sure enough it started again the next day...I worked like a bastard to get my bulk stops off and about 1:15 PM...BASE COM...luckily I only had about 25 deliveries left and did the rest on paper.The diad I have now looks like it was in vietnam but it works.When I was on paper it reminded me of that old song -big yellow taxi- where Joni Mitchell sang"dont it always seem to go,that you dont know what you got till its gone"They will either skip right over diad 4 here and go right to 5 or stick us with your old 4's ...from what I've read ,gimmie 5.