nightmares

retired2000

i know this has been talked about before but, i have been retired now for 51/2 years and i still have nightmares about the old place. last nite i had a nightmare that i went back as a delivery driver. of course i was able to get my old route back (senority) but you old timers will remeber the cars we use to call big bearthias. the ones with the big dash. they were so big you could sit on them and still have room. well, that was what was on my route. wow. during the pcm though i came through it was like i never left. i kept giving it to the sup. it felt great.
if these dreams keep up i think i need to go back and try to get some comp from the company for mental health problems.:w00t:

traveler

Where next? Venice
I've been retired 16 years and was a package driver for the first 2 years of a 25 year career. Yes, once in a while I dream about being on a route other than my own and not being able to finish before the businesses close. If you did the math that's a nightmare reaching 39 years back. Maybe they do owe us something for this?

:ohmy: :confused:1

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I had them all the time when I was driving. Had a couple over the last few months, left me covered in sweat. Hard to believe that the job could affect you that way.

d

sendagain

I had one where I was on a route I did 12 years ago, and noticed some of the businesses had expanded to more employees. I also had two other people working in the truck with me.

Dutch Dawg

Sheeesh......while most nightmares can be associated with stressful events in one's life. They are more often caused by events other than the focus of the nightmare. How's your conscious? :bored:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually mine is great. But some of the dreams have been interpreted by some that do that type of analysis as a feeling of being vulnerable beyond anything that can be controlled by ones self.

Which kind of describes what my early years were like at UPS.

Why, are you a therapist?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What Traveler posted was
was a package driver for the first 2 years of a 25 year career.

Now that means that he could have retired as a feeder driver, working inside in a full time position, or as other have mentioned that he could have gone into management. Or any combination of the above.

Just thought I would set the record straight

d

tieguy

Banned
dannyboy said:
What Traveler posted was

Now that means that he could have retired as a feeder driver, working inside in a full time position, or as other have mentioned that he could have gone into management. Or any combination of the above.

Just thought I would set the record straight

d

Anyone ever handle packages in their sleep? My wife tells a great story of me years ago sitting up in bed and sorting packages in my sleep that has people falling out of their seats with laughter. :lol:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
That reminds me of a foster child we had years back. Got her at three days old. All was well for a few days, then hell broke loose. Did not know it at the time, but her mother had been on phenobarbital at the time, and this little child was already hooked. From what the doc told us later, it is like coming off heroin or cocaine as far as the pain.

Anyway, it meant long hours at night holding and rocking the baby, from the middle of october till almost february. I really dont remember much about that peak!

I guess it was sometime about the middle of December my wife woke up with me sitting on the side of the bed just rocking back and forth. She asked, what the heck are you doing? I told her SHHHH, rocking the baby. To which she replied, really? Then what is this laying next to me?

I had been rocking just the blanket for almost an hour, while the baby was asleep next to my wife.:blushing:

d

retired2000

i have had sorting dreams too. my wife would wake me up in the middle of the night just so she could get her pillows back. seems i was sorting them all to the white belt. will they ever end???

traveler

Where next? Venice
dino said:
How does one DRIVE for the FIRST 2 years of a 25 year career?

Easy, you enter the ranks of management and work in that field for the renaining 23 years. The career was with UPS. :wink:

old levi's

blank space
traveler said:
Easy, you enter the ranks of management and work in that field for the renaining 23 years. The career was with UPS. :wink:

Just curious, Would you have stuck around for that career if it meant 13 years of parttime work instead of coming in as an outside hire?

upsdude

dino said:
Just curious, Would you have stuck around for that career if it meant 13 years of parttime work instead of coming in as an outside hire?

No one waits that long in my building. We have guys and gals driving after 6 months PT.

BTW, I was an outside hire peak 86. There were 3 of us, all FT by Febuary '87.

traveler

Where next? Venice
dino said:

Tough question to answer. There were no "part timers" when I was hired as a full time driver. The hubs and preloads were all full time. Secondly, my choice was UPS or the NYPD as I was high on the list for that job. I chose to deliver packages in Newark rather that being shot at in New York City. :thumbup1:

surviv'n_it

I used to have a nightmare when I started package driving. I would dream that I was on my route and for some reason I was really tired. In the dream I take a nap during my lunch in which I wake up 6 hours later. Then its 7pm, I have over half my truck full, none of my pick-ups done, and a ton of messages in my diad about where am I.

Every time I see a feeder driver taking a nap somewhere, I think of that dream.

traveler

Where next? Venice
surviv'n_it said:
I used to have a nightmare when I started package driving. I would dream that I was on my route and for some reason I was really tired. In the dream I take a nap during my lunch in which I wake up 6 hours later. Then its 7pm, I have over half my truck full, none of my pick-ups done, and a ton of messages in my diad about where am I.

Every time I see a feeder driver taking a nap somewhere, I think of that dream.

That brings back a memory (a bit off subject.) When I was in high school I worked as a sorter at the postal hub. One night at lunchtime, four of us found a comfortable place to take a short nap on a large group of mail sacks. None of us woke up until 4 hours later and it was then time to go, home for most, to school for me. That was very refreshing. :sleep1:

By the way, none of us were ever missed. :thumbup: