NL MVP

floridays

I'm guessing because the two leagues have different rules.
I'm guessing (not really). The NBA and ABA were not affiliated at all, they had their respective MVP's. The same would be for the NFL and AFL until they merged. The American League and National League have always been affiliated under the title of the Major Leagues. Two affiliated leagues, two MVP's.

floridays

Maybe because for years they never played each other except the World Series.

I think the NL and AL long viewed themselves as separate leagues that played for a championship. Who knows. Always been that way and baseball is a nothing if not true to traditions.
Your answer is forth coming, which ever makes the print first.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Gold glove is based off nothing stat wise. Other than maybe fielding percentage which doesn't even come close to telling the whole story.

I played baseball into college thanks. I'm simply someone that takes advantage of the advance analytics we have now and use them to farther my knowledge of the game.

Derek Jeter gave up more runs as a SS than anyone to ever play the position consistently. To me that makes him the worst defensive SS to ever play MLB. Jeter was a great hitter and a great clubhouse presence. He made the plays he could get to for the most part. The problem was he had possibly the worst range of any SS to ever play the position on a regular basis.

As We Remember Derek Jeter, Don't Forget His Horrid Defense

Luckily, no one gives out award for DRS statistics. 6th all time in hits, five rings, don’t be a hater bro. Besides, the intangible ability to be a leader.

floridays

Luckily, no one gives out award for DRS statistics. 6th all time in hits, five rings, don’t be a hater bro. Besides, the intangible ability to be a leader.
What is a DRS? I'll take Jeter over most shortstops that have put on a uniform. Smith, Ripken, Rizzuto, Aparicio, Guillen, Concepcion, all of them. I saw the guy field his position, I don't need some clown with numbers to dictate to me a shortstops value. I don't need a stat or number to evaluate a player.

I do know the great Gambino also.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm guessing (not really). The NBA and ABA were not affiliated at all, they had their respective MVP's. The same would be for the NFL and AFL until they merged. The American League and National League have always been affiliated under the title of the Major Leagues. Two affiliated leagues, two MVP's.
Well not always. In 1903 they came to an agreement. Basically so they'd quit stealing playing from each other.

Until 2000 the al and NL operated as separate legal entities.

Brownslave688

Well gold glove should probably have it as one of its top statistics to look at.

Dude was a tremendous offensive player. Doesn't change the fact that alex Rodriguez should have played SS when he came to the Yankees. Jeter had atrocious range for a SS and would have been much less of a liability had he been moved somewhere else in the infield.

floridays

Well not always. In 1903 they came to an agreement. Basically so they'd quit stealing playing from each other.

Until 2000 the al and NL operated as separate legal entities.
Under the Major Leagues. I understand, I have American League Baseballs made by Reach and National League balls made by Spalding.

Brownslave688

What is a DRS? I'll take Jeter over most shortstops that have put on a uniform. Smith, Ripken, Rizzuto, Aparicio, Guillen, Concepcion, all of them. I saw the guy field his position, I don't need some clown with numbers to dictate to me a shortstops value. I don't need a stat or number to evaluate a player.

From what the Yankees themselves say they regularly practiced what has become the infamous "flip play".

Jeter was actually two steps slow to where he was supposed to be. This is why he didn't have time to set his feet and throw the ball hence causing him to have to flip the ball.

Brownslave688

Jeter's legacy is built on longevity, consistency and the Yankees being really good for most of his career. Over his entire career he lead the league in runs once and hits twice. That's it. Those are the only categories he ever lead the league in. Zero MVPs only top 3 three times and was a liability on defense.

He's a hall of famer for sure. I just feel many people try to put him on the same tier of Yankees greats Ruth, mantel, Gehrig and DiMaggio and he's not. He's in a large group of Yankees greats below that level.

Brownslave688

And sorry DRS is defensive runs saved. It's a stat that compares a players defensive abilities to what's considered average for his position.

For his career Jeter was plus 353 runs as a batter over a replacement SS. He was negative 243 as a fielder over a replacement SS.

floridays

From what the Yankees themselves say they regularly practiced what has become the infamous "flip play".

Jeter was actually two steps slow to where he was supposed to be. This is why he didn't have time to set his feet and throw the ball hence causing him to have to flip the ball.
I understand, I was a middle infielder, every play is exactly the same, exactly how practiced.
I don't think you ever played one down of baseball, you got that. In all my days of playing baseball the second baseman goes into short right as a cut off, the first baseman would be up the line where Jeter was, the pitcher backs up home plate, which is worthless in this case. Depending on the situation, the shortstop should either be backing up third base or middle of third base line. These placements were out for this play at this time, Jeter, out of natural placement went to where instinct or observation took him. You said you played through college, intramural's do not count Mr. Sabermetric.

floridays

Jeter's legacy is built on longevity, consistency and the Yankees being really good for most of his career. Over his entire career he lead the league in runs once and hits twice. That's it. Those are the only categories he ever lead the league in. Zero MVPs only top 3 three times and was a liability on defense.

He's a hall of famer for sure. I just feel many people try to put him on the same tier of Yankees greats Ruth, mantel, Gehrig and DiMaggio and he's not. He's in a large group of Yankees greats below that level.
Exactly who is this mantel guy? @MyTripisCut, you have got to see this buddy. I've got to wait before the clown can edit it.

"Would you like a beer with your beer Mr. Mantel, oh here's your pack of cigarettes." Trip, my hero and obviously yours, I just got to see him play in the flesh. @MyTripisCut , you have good taste buddy.

Brownslave688

I understand, I was a middle infielder, every play is exactly the same, exactly how practiced.
I don't think you ever played one down of baseball, you got that. In all my days of playing baseball the second baseman goes into short right as a cut off, the first baseman would be up the line where Jeter was, the pitcher backs up home plate, which is worthless in this case. Depending on the situation, the shortstop should either be backing up third base or middle of third base line. These placements were out for this play at this time, Jeter, out of natural placement went to where instinct or observation took him. You said you played through college, intramural's do not count Mr. Sabermetric.
I'm telling you what the Yankees themselves have said.
Yankees Practice Jeter’s Famed Flip Relay
Like many things Jeter this play while amazing seems to have been blowen up to be a little bigger than it was. It had the perfect circumstances for that to happen though. A game in which this play can be looked at as the definitive game winner. A player like Jeter who many loved. A terrible and slow baserunner like Giambi. It all came together to make this unique play.

I caught for almost my entire career. Played SS for one year during my 8th grade year. Our coach put the strongest arm at SS and that was that for some reason. He had an odd opinion on cutoffs too. I was cutoff for all of the throws home and most every other throw except right field to second base.

Brownslave688

Exactly who is this mantel guy? @MyTripisCut, you have got to see this buddy. I've got to wait before the clown can edit it.

"Would you like a beer with your beer Mr. Mantel, oh here's your pack of cigarettes." Trip, my hero and obviously yours, I just got to see him play in the flesh. @MyTripisCut , you have good taste buddy.
Yes thank you one typo while laying in bed after a long day total negates my whole argument. Smh