No surprise to me

barnyard

KTM rider
The FEG guy that is in my area has a helper. Driver drives, while the helper is in back sorting and getting packages for the next stop.
Safety third.

bbsam

Staff member
The FEG guy that is in my area has a helper. Driver drives, while the helper is in back sorting and getting packages for the next stop.
Safety third.
I remember training at UPS like that. Truck didn’t even have a jump seat in it.

Re-Raise

Your could tape the bulkhead door open, wad up a delivery notice to cram in the lock, or use a bungee cord to hold it open. When I was originally trained for package car, my supervisor said it was okay to leave the door open as long as I had it in sight.
It was like bringing back a repressed memory when you talked about holding the bulkhead door open with a bungee cord!! I had forgotten that I did that every day lol

BrownThunder

Ran into my Fed Ex buddy last week during my air run. Got a chance to peek into his truck and was shocked to see he barely had enough volume to fill my 7000 shelf. That answered my question about how they always had time to hang out and shoot the sh_t with customers.

oldupsman

Leave car running, bulkhead door open all day, optional seatbelt use.......not that I ever did anything like that!
You could lower your dispatch yourself by leaving the building that way....I actually once had a country route where that was a way to blow the dust out of the car late in the afternoon.
Your could tape the bulkhead door open, wad up a delivery notice to cram in the lock, or use a bungee cord to hold it open. When I was originally trained for package car, my supervisor said it was okay to leave the door open as long as I had it in sight.

Somehow, doing all those horrible things, I ended up with 30 years of safe driving.
And yes, I'm giving myself a big pat on the back.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think it's more a rarity to see one with everything working properly.

Many of the ground trucks I've seen are real clams.

I have a ground truck on my delivery area that has been driving around for two years with its left headlight out. I told the driver a long time ago about it, it never gets fixed.

old levi's

blank space

I liked the trucks that had the double latch, one on the lock cylinder and one up high near the track.
Jam that bottom latch with a delivery notice, the door would still close and latch but you didn't need a key.
Before telematics I would never close the bulkhead while running residentials.

old levi's

blank space
Since telematics picks up truck movement smaller than an Ants c0ck, you can’t leave your truck running and take your seatbelt off without getting called into the office for about 300 seatbelt violations.

I was bad about popping the seatbelt before I came to a full stop. Got busted on that all the time.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
When I first started as a driver, there were no jumpseats in the package cars. A helper would just stand in the step well hanging on for dear life especially during left turns. Never closed the bulkhead door, had to catch the hand truck to prevent it going through the windshield many times. I'd jam the rear door about 1/4 open while doing resi to keep air moving through the truck. Seatbelts were only for on the freeway to and from route, almost never on route.

Ahhh, the good ole days.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
When I first started as a driver, there were no jumpseats in the package cars.
Did anyone else have package cars with two jumpseats. This was when most of our package cars were the old high step, non power steering pieces of smile*. Two of the few nice automatics we had had the regular jump seat for a passenger seat but they also had a jump seat on the bulkhead door. Our dispatcher was just promoted to center manager and I was lucky enough to have a center manager from another center train my new manager on how to do an OJS. They had to ride with me because I was covering one of the only routes that had one of these package cars with the two jumpseats. Every stop I had to wait for the one guy to get out of the passenger seat and out of the truck then wait for the second guy to get off of the bulkhead door and out of my way before i could even get into the back. Then I had not one but two asshats critiquing me all day. That was a fun day.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I was bad about popping the seatbelt before I came to a full stop. Got busted on that all the time.

My truck still moves a tiny bit even after I put it in park and put the handbrake on, was getting dinged for seatbelt violations for weeks and that was it. I’d take my seatbelt off right after the handbrake and during the movement.

Now I gotta shut the engine and then take it off to avoid bossman getting an alert on his computer.

Tony Q

Well as a FedEx driver he is working for peanuts. Why do a good job for the same wage as a circus Elephant
Yes you get what you pay for. The average Fedex ground driver make 18 an hour between wages, health and welfare, and social security match. Compare that with a ups drivers total hourly compensation of on average 63 dollars an hour and you can see what we are up against.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yes you get what you pay for. The average Fedex ground driver make 18 an hour between wages, health and welfare, and social security match. Compare that with a ups drivers total hourly compensation of on average 63 dollars an hour and you can see what we are up against.
We pickup and deliver air so we are a ground and express employee plus we do the work of 2 supervisors so id still say we are under paid.

brostalss

Safety third.

That was "Old School" Peak Season. Meet up with your buddy, hop in, one drives, one sorts, scans packages and DR's them in the back. Both hop out, first one back to the truck drives to the next stop. It made peak season fun. You could get off 60 to 65 stops an hour and having fun doing it too.

brostalss

Had an OnTrac driver leave his van running at a pick up. It was a 100 degree day and he had his A/C on. He was no where in sight so I opened the door and cranked the heater full blast. Saw him inside and chatted with him for a few minutes and let his van get nice and toasty. Got back to my truck and he got back to his and all I heard was "WHAT THE HELL!!!" I couldn't stop laughing the rest of the day.

Next day saw the same driver and he thought is was funny as hell after I told him I did it.

Tony Q

We pickup and deliver air so we are a ground and express employee plus we do the work of 2 supervisors so id still say we are under paid.
I never will dispute that you are the best in the shipping business, just pointed out the difference in cost.