Noncompliance Pickup Compliance

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

Thankyou for the spanking.

You are right, I apologize to Helen and TPL. Both are drivers I would not only be proud to work next to, but would probably have a ball doing so.

The kinder and gentler dannyboy.

In response as to who decided what time range was for what stop, there were several issues that should have factored into that equation.

Customer's needs, past practice, new volume that we got from other carriers, drivers ability to service that need. Hopefully all that was taken into consideration when setting the schedule.

But I am sure as there is a sun shining today, there were routes, maybe even whole centers that were blindly and mindlessly filled in by managers or account execs. In that case the following applies.

Folks, bottom line is that the customer depends on our being there when we are promised to be there. If a stop needs a change in time for what ever reason, there are ways to get it changed. Use the proper channels to get it done.

Dont take it upon yourself to change what UPS tells you. That is the fast track to get into a load of trouble that you really dont want or need.

Beyond that, work as instructed. Sometimes those instructions are almost insanity, I know that. But they are the boss. And as such, they are allowed to tell you what and how to do it. Follow that to the best of your ability, and when your ability fails, communicate that failure to them.

Do that, and they can not find fault with your day.

As for the money you make, no one ever said you did not earn every cent. Trust me, I know both of you earn it every day.

d

Dill

Thankyou for the spanking.

You are right, I apologize to Helen and TPL. Both are drivers I would not only be proud to work next to, but would probably have a ball doing so.
Apology accepted and one offered, I may not have worded my post just the way it should have been. I harbor no hard feelings.
Helen does come across as a fun person. I try to keep things light through the day, it sure helps everything else run better.

On the compliance times for PUs. As a cover driver I do my best to be within 30 minutes of the scheduled PU but sometimes it seems I can't even get close. In those times I wonder how the heck the regular driver does it, I feel like I must be running the route backwards. Since we started this, I have only had one PU stop tell me that I was too early from the regular guy. I adjusted a few stops and fixed that problem. When I'm on a route for the first time in a while I try to ask all the PUs what time the reg usually gets there and I find out they usually aren't close to the posted times either.
Our times were all put in by the drivers.
They don't stress this much at our center.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
T

One thing I learned a long time ago at ups was to wear my thick skin.

It does take a lot to get under it. FYI, you didnt even scratch the surface.

There are times though that I post the words without reading with an open mind what I am trying to get across. Sometimes I forget to think about how something might be taken wrong as well.

But such is the shortfalls of the internet. With a face to face conversation, that would never happen.

Best

d PS, there has only been one guy that ever really got under my skin early on here, and that was Tie. Well two guys if you count that guy that couldnt do a thing with his life because it was all his mothers fault. :wink2:

upsdude

Pickup Compliance isn’t an issue in my center, of course that could change tomorrow. It was an issue a year ago. I understand the need to be consistent with pickup times, customers, most of them, need regularity from UPS. Customers also need regularity from UPS for delivery times. Upper management at UPS doesn’t seem to mind if our delivery times are all over the map. By golly you had better make that pickup within a certain time frame or else! I don’t get it. We lost what was a feeder load delivered daily to a huge warehouse because we wouldn’t guarantee the customer a time window we would arrive. FedEx said no problem and won the business. Get this, if our guy (in a 26 footer, could have been a feeder) isn’t finished when FedEx shows up we have to move and let Fred have the door. Yep, after saying no to a routine delivery time and losing to FedEx, now we have to scramble to finish before FE arrives. Maybe we should have, never mind, we don’t have a “report” for that.

We’ve been told in PCMs to hit stop complete within the time frame, even if you’re not at the PU. We’ve been told to have the pickup time adjusted in the DIAD so we fit into the time frame. If customers are really that interested in “Compliance” then why are we falsifying records to meet the goal? Why are we adjusting the “times” to fit our needs as opposed to the customer’s needs? I asked my center manager (when it was a HOT issue) if he knew what time I was supposed to make a certain pickup. He had no idea. I told him that if the customer had an issue with what I was doing he would know about it.

I swear it seems like UPS just thinks up garbage they can do an audit on. Stuff they can use to initiate progressive discipline on an hourly.

I can envision a time when a customer will ask me to come back and I can’t. I explain the “Compliance” issue, reports, warning letters, falsification of records problem, conference calls etc. while this conversation is taking place a guy dressed in purple walks in and says “sure, I’ll be back at 4”.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
T

One thing I learned a long time ago at ups was to wear my thick skin.
Truer words have never been spoken.
It does take a lot to get under it. FYI, you didnt even scratch the surface.
Hmmmmm, sometimes I think that is not exactly accurate. JMHO
There are times though that I post the words without reading with an open mind what I am trying to get across. Sometimes I forget to think about how something might be taken wrong as well.
Truer words have never been spoken!
But such is the shortfalls of the internet. With a face to face conversation, that would never happen.

Best

d PS, there has only been one guy that ever really got under my skin early on here, and that was Tie. Well two guys if you count that guy that couldnt do a thing with his life because it was all his mothers fault. :wink2:
We have gone toe to toe a few times. You can be the most opinionated stubborn bull-headed man I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. :happy-very: And on more than one occasion you have gotten under my skin. :biting: And I have no doubt what so ever that the opposite is as equally true. But, as I have told you in the past, I consider you a friend and a big brother. D

PS I know you enjoyed that spanking!:surprised:

reydluap

Interersting thread.

I understand both sides of this topic to a point. But here is my dilemma. My route is the farthest from our Center(I drive an average of 220 miles a day). No one is around me for any help. When I'm heavy on the dispatch side, it's handled like "Too Bad/So Sad". So if I am dispatched within reason, I can make 95% of my pickups right on time. But if I'm dispatched on the higher side, I can't even get 30% compliance. My rural routes run around 50 miles alone on an average day. On the heavy days, if I tried to make the compliance numbers, I could put another 60 miles on my route easily by heading back into town and to make the PU'S and then going back out in the country past everything I just delivered.. So my Center Manager says to just make PU's when you can get there and the Center as a whole will correct my percentages as a whole.

My questions......Is Big Daddy sitting in an office some place watching me blow these PU times? Am I doing things wrong by saving 60 miles a day by making late PU times? Only one of these accounts really have any packages to ship, the others are sheet jerkers 1 package a week stops. All these PU accounts have my cell phone number.

I understand not picking up the accounts BEFORE the time slot allowed by Management. But if you are getting to these stops 30 minutes later than assigned, what's the problem?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Tell the boss if he keeps you between 8.5 and 9.5 hours you will comply. Anything higher than it's his fault. Don't ask for consistency when you can't provide any.

Jim Kemp

Jones is right. Both what the sup and steward told you can get you fired. Both for dishonesty.

As for the brilliant post by worthless, the customer has customers that are ordering goods. That customer will be told that UPS picks up at 3:30, so any orders placed by 3:15 will go out the same day.

In worthless's world, that means nothing. If he wants to pick it up at 10:30 as he is delivering the air, so be it, because

I beg to differ. They do care.

And in this day of lost business and a slow economy, I would suggest you care as well.

d

I never said I would make pick ups at ten thirty. I make pick ups when the shipper wants it. They know nothing of our "pick up compliance". Our sups pulled a time out of thin air and told us we had a thirty minute window to make it. They didn't consult the shippers. So how does this help the shipper. I say make the P U when the shipper wants it not when some sup says.
My point is that "pick up compliance" is just some crap to make our jobs more difficult. As long as the shipper is happy it does not make any difference if you are in"compliance".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Supes don't decide when pickup is made. Regular driver sets it according to the way he runs the route. They just want you to be consistant unlike what you get sent out with. It drives me nuts but it's not that difficult to stay above 80 percent. If you have to deadhead 20 miles to do it so be it. Miles are money.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not likely this is going away any time soon. With this economy and the push for new business, UPS sells us with our P/U compliance, not only to new customers but also to it's shareholders. The only place this doesn't wash is with us, the drivers. It is a major factor. And as I said earlier this has been the flavor of koolaid for a year now, at least here.

buttere

We have a 30 minute p/u window now as well. Each customer is different, some need their p/u made at a certain time, while others don't don't care what time you make it. Besides, we've always had scheduled p/u times in the past, so why was this 30 minute window even necessary?

DS

Fenderbender
Its not a big issue here.It has been mentioned at pcm's but the major push is on scanning everything(no edd here).

What do you do if its a friday on a long weekend and you make a delivery at say 1pm,and the customer says we are closing up at 2pm today,you can take these 5 pkgs now because thats all we have today?
I just bring up the sched p/u and complete it right there,
Its what the customer wants,its what really happened,and if they question it,I have too much integrity to lie so thier compliance numbers will look good on paper.
On the other hand,if I show up at the sched p/u time and they ask if I can come back,I can usually accomodate them .
What kind of drugs are these morons on? Its not about numbers,its about satisfying the customer.There should be a use your brain compliance for the imbeciles that come up with this crap.

reydluap

There should be a use your brain compliance for the imbeciles that come up with this crap.

DS.......Can I borrow this line to use on MY supervisor? ROFLMAO!!

McLeod

When I get a message that my pickup comp. is off I send her back a message....mine are all on area. I run a rural area, our loads had been running late with bad weather and far below 0 temp everything was backed up. The next day it was like ..hey we need your pickup compliance time improved. Its like wow...hour late loads, snow drifts, ice, below 0 for daytime high and my pickups are off by 30 minutes! What do you do?

When I get a message that my pickup comp. is off I send her back a message....mine are all on area. I run a rural area, our loads had been running late with bad weather and far below 0 temp everything was backed up. The next day it was like ..hey we need your pickup compliance time improved. Its like wow...hour late loads, snow drifts, ice, below 0 for daytime high and my pickups are off by 30 minutes! What do you do?
I laugh and say " Yeah, right."

brownrodster

Interersting thread.

I
I understand not picking up the accounts BEFORE the time slot allowed by Management. But if you are getting to these stops 30 minutes later than assigned, what's the problem?

I had 2 problems for picking up late on route I covered recently. One called in a particularly nasty complaint because he didn't get a pickup (I show up right after he called). Another drove her NDA's to UPS for fear that I was too late to get them their myself (I had plenty of time).

stringerman85

They always tell us to be strong during the week percentage wise because on Friday the pickup compliance doesn't apply as much because alot of your businesses either close earlier or have earlier pickups than your scheduled time......

I hate when they get onto you about your pickup compliance when your percentage is higher than the whole center's percentage....A few days im above 80 percent (of course they want us about 85) but the center as a whole is usually around 78 or 79 percent everyday, With over 50 drivers, That means I'm obviously not the one bringing it down, But they seem to give up speaking to all the other guys who have no hope in improving their numbers....Since the route I was doing was a 100 percent commercial route with a lot of pickups, that route would help bring the center's numbers up to par if it was 100 percent compliance everyday, Pretty much it's all about the numbers to them, Who cares if half the center does a crappy job on compliance, As long as the "big p/u routes" are good and the average is over 80 as a center, Their satisfied

Even when I hit 100 percent, the average as a whole is lucky to be 80

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Certain customers care when picked up. Others dont. I have found I get more pick ups when I just do them all after 230.
As dilli said. It is just a game.
As for sheeting them all unscheduled, I would not do it. I take care of the ones who care about the time, and im never 80 percent as I have redone my pu log 3xs and no one fixes it.
Ive redone my driver manifest 5 xs and no one fixes it. I got tired of being yelled at for compliance about everything, so today, I almost missed 3 pickups, and ran trace all day. I went 15 miles more than normal, got done at 7 pm when for once this year, I could have got done at 5 my way, compliance be damned. They didnt like my 140 over bet they will love my 3 hrs over.
But I did it their way:happy2: