Noob Alert

GoneBrown

Wow! This Web site is great. Thanks to all involved for keeping it going. I'm hoping to contribute over time, but I'm really looking forward to reading posts from new and experienced UPSers.

I am a new and permanent part-time loader and about to complete my first week, which has consisted of classroom videos, discussions, tests and my personal favorite - periodic facility walkabouts where we technically observe the work flow, but are really just put on display for everyone to laugh at. Actually, not everyone has laughed and hurled comments like, "you've made a big mistake," or "do yourself a favor and quit now." Some people just cast emotionless glares and others simply nod.

I can't wait until it's my turn to watch the parade. I think I'll do a combination of all the different reactions I've witnessed in order to truly freak out the fresh meat.

I'm really excited about this new path in my life. Every job I've ever had has been a dead end. I went to school to break the mold, but after graduation I found out that it didn't really matter. I feel I can be happy working and representing the company despite the horror stories I've read and heard about. I'm looking forward to the work out and the hours. I'm also excited about all the different positions available. I'm hoping to try them all.

Thanks for having me here, and to all you unloaders out there – I plan on treating my "internal customers" like royalty. I may even leave a chocolate mint. :happy2:

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, GoneBrown! Keep us advised as you hit those packages!

PS Don't really hit the packages.....

GoneBrown

Ha! I'll try to not hit any packages. I'll just watch some UPS Hub and driver videos on YouTube to calm the urge. My first week of class is over with. Something unexpected happened. Apparently they may need people to load air containers, so I was certified on Friday. I asked about the preferred job list and found out that loading air ULDs is on the list, but it doesn't matter right now, because they need people. I also found out that some new hires went straight to the sorting position, but won't get the $1 raise until they pass a test. I thought for sure everyone started loading feeders their first time out.

Notcool

Those emotionless stares and empty glares are coping mechanisms. If you are a loader long enough you too will use it to block out the work load and insane management decisions.