Not able to call in!!!

top dollar

Just a little upset about my situation. I cracked my tooth last Thursday and I tried to call in on Friday as usual my center team said no cant cover you. So I worked all day hopped up on pain meds ( and they scream safety) get in Friday evening and my face is swollen and I make sure a sup sees it. Well I wake up at 3am to the biggest swollen face ever. I wait to see my dentist and she tells me I have to go to the ER. To get I V antibiotics. All this just because my center manager will not let us call in ever, she thinks UPS is all there is in the world. I have been on here bad side and finally have been left alone so I don't want to be back on that side so I just worked. But as of now I have been off two days thinking I should just take the whole week to prove a point!!!

UPSGUY72

Just a little upset about my situation. I cracked my tooth last Thursday and I tried to call in on Friday as usual my center team said no cant cover you. So I worked all day hopped up on pain meds ( and they scream safety) get in Friday evening and my face is swollen and I make sure a sup sees it. Well I wake up at 3am to the biggest swollen face ever. I wait to see my dentist and she tells me I have to go to the ER. To get I V antibiotics. All this just because my center manager will not let us call in ever, she thinks UPS is all there is in the world. I have been on here bad side and finally have been left alone so I don't want to be back on that side so I just worked. But as of now I have been off two days thinking I should just take the whole week to prove a point!!!

You tried to call in ???? Who cares if they can cover your route or not that there problem not yours. Maybe they need to hire another cover driver.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
In the rare event I have to call in, I treat it more of me informing them rather than asking. "hey, it's badpal and I won't be able to make it in today...goodbye" If I'm sick or in a bind then that's how it is. I'm not gonna play the "we'll send help" or "we'll get you off early" BS.

Last edited:

FOLLOWS THE METHODS

24 years on the job called in only once to tell them i couldnt work today. they said nope cant have the day said ok i'll try get up step outside and it was like nope not happening. called them back said sorry but cant make it in today. he says u have to come in i say have a good day. the phone rings after start time and he says where the bleep bleep r u? i said i told u i couldnt make it in today. well i told you you had to come in , you screwed me. um nope i think you screwed yourself. they will always tell u no cause they dont want to take the time to try and find a cover driver. morale of the story is all you have to do is call in and tell them u cant make it in. within a reasonable amount of time , you cant ever please them in this situation so dont worry.

probellringer

top dollar..it really is that easy..your a grown up ,your sick, you have sick days---keep it simple as badpal says...would they rather you pull a sick load? doubt it..they will get over it... they should expect the unexpected

top dollar

I have done all that in the past and boy did I pay for it. center manager rode me for months gave me two warning letters in one month then a intent to suspend then next for not knowing my DOK which I know but they don' t know that, but I finally got her off my back and did not want her :censored2: with me anymore. But trust me this will never happen again. If I am sick in pain or hell just want the day off I am taking it!!!

top dollar

Was also wondering if there is anything the union can do for me missing all this money because of them not letting me off work!!!

cascadehops

sounds like you need a stronger union there. None of this bullying by management should ever happen. Those are harassment rides. We have rights.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
How about asking your union steward or calling your BA. I doubt there is anything you can do about it other than suck it up and know better next time you fall into this situation.

DS

Fenderbender
top dollar..it really is that easy..your a grown up ,your sick, you have sick days---keep it simple as badpal says...would they rather you pull a sick load? doubt it..they will get over it... they should expect the unexpected
I'm gonna use that! You are a pro bellringer :)

parecasa

Sounds to me like you have a manager who wants to run a perfect center. I have had one of those before. They are usually trying to be promoted. When I call in I will them the courtesy of asking if they have extra people but I dont let them talk me into working. I don't know how you could get on their bad side by calling in thats why they have coverage drivers and TCDs. If you are doing your job there is nothing they can do but try to intimidate you which most sups are really good at. I suggest you call your B/A about that the company shouldn't be allowed to do that.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
sounds like you need a stronger union there. None of this bullying by management should ever happen. Those are harassment rides. We have rights.

How in the hell is someone with no balls the Unions fault. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself for gods sake!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why, ooooh why, do some of you guys let your sups do this? If you're sick, then you're sick. Call, say "I'm sick. I won't be there." Then, HANG UP!!! Do you think that if something happened, let's say you were in an accident, they would give you the benefit of the doubt. "Oh that's ok. We know you were sick and this isn't your fault." OOOH HELL NO!! They would charge you and if you were on pain meds, probably fire you for it.

Let me let you in on a little secret. They can't force you to come in. Only you can let them pull the wool over your eyes.

You guys need to STOP playing this game with your sups.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have done all that in the past and boy did I pay for it. center manager rode me for months gave me two warning letters in one month then a intent to suspend then next for not knowing my DOK which I know but they don' t know that, but I finally got her off my back and did not want her :censored2: with me anymore. But trust me this will never happen again. If I am sick in pain or hell just want the day off I am taking it!!!
​And the second they start playing this game you file an Art 37 against them every single day. That is clear harassment. And they can only do one OJS a year. NM Art 37 Sect. 2. As for safety rides, they can do a 3 day safety ride if you've been in an accident.

Last edited:

brownIEman

Just to give a perspective from the other side, yes there are many sups that play the try to coerce you into coming in when you call in sick game.

Mostly, it is due to the number of people who play this game:

or hell just want the day off I am taking it!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just to give a perspective from the other side, yes there are many sups that play the try to coerce you into coming in when you call in sick game.

Mostly, it is due to the number of people who play this game:
This is very true, brownIE. No one should make a habit of doing this, as it can get you unemployed very quickly.