Not all Corp's are created equal!

Nolimitz

With all the talk recently on wages and benefits, I was thinking about the last major corp. that I work at. Wow! employed from `86 to `05

Large publicly traded, multi national semiconductor mfg. Non-union except for operations in Italy.

Very good major medical, dental and vision at a reasonable cost and ded's.

I started as a production operator (entry level) at near nothing. 4.42 an hour, within 6 months I was making $8 and change.

Promote from within company ranks based on skills and knowledge. At the 5 year mark I was near $15 and hour as a QA tech. Still a grunt for the most part.

Profit sharing like I have never seen else where. It started w/ a monthly bonus check that could be equal to or greater than a months wages. Some times there were no profits so no bonus. You made sure that next month or qtr. was different. Eventually went to qtr payments at same % of profits (weather Wall St liked it or not)

Stock options for all employees. Of course they were tiered base on time of service and pay level, but this created an employee owner work place. With discounted stock vesting over 5 years, folks worked hard and stuck around. Sure the CEO and top management benefited the most as with all options programs. But I was not complaining.

Raises: I don't think I ever saw a raise of less than 10%yr. I can remember some years with promotions that were closer to 25%. When I left to start my own business my base salary as a non-degreed engineer/supervisor was in the 6 figures before stock options or profit sharing.

FedEx will never come close nor have the employee loyalty of other major companies.

end of rant!

bbsam

Staff member
With all the talk recently on wages and benefits, I was thinking about the last major corp. that I work at. Wow! employed from `86 to `05

Large publicly traded, multi national semiconductor mfg. Non-union except for operations in Italy.

Very good major medical, dental and vision at a reasonable cost and ded's.

I started as a production operator (entry level) at near nothing. 4.42 an hour, within 6 months I was making $8 and change.

Promote from within company ranks based on skills and knowledge. At the 5 year mark I was near $15 and hour as a QA tech. Still a grunt for the most part.

Profit sharing like I have never seen else where. It started w/ a monthly bonus check that could be equal to or greater than a months wages. Some times there were no profits so no bonus. You made sure that next month or qtr. was different. Eventually went to qtr payments at same % of profits (weather Wall St liked it or not)

Stock options for all employees. Of course they were tiered base on time of service and pay level, but this created an employee owner work place. With discounted stock vesting over 5 years, folks worked hard and stuck around. Sure the CEO and top management benefited the most as with all options programs. But I was not complaining.

Raises: I don't think I ever saw a raise of less than 10%yr. I can remember some years with promotions that were closer to 25%. When I left to start my own business my base salary as a non-degreed engineer/supervisor was in the 6 figures before stock options or profit sharing.

FedEx will never come close nor have the employee loyalty of other major companies.

end of rant!
And why would they if they don't have to?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It's a valid question.
200_s.gif

Yeah, I care.

I've had many valid questions for your buddy that he's chosen to ignore.

bbsam

Staff member
it's about taking care of your employees and creating a decent work place that encourages people to work to their full capabilities.
You would rather use em up and toss away I guess..
What I would like is not possible with what Fedex pays me. It really is that simple.

But to your point, yes, I suspect that is what X intends.

MAKAVELI

So you think I could afford to pay $20/hr plus all benefits for each driver but I'm just too greedy? You really do not know what you are talking about.
I never said specifically what you should pay your drivers. But based on what you have posted in the past about your income, you definitely could afford to pay them more and/or benefits.

bbsam

Staff member
I never said specifically what you should pay your drivers. But based on what you have posted in the past about your income, you definitely could afford to pay them more and/or benefits.
Not a lot.

You need to take some business courses and figure out what true cost is when it comes to employees.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure I do, but it's up to me whether I want to give you one. It's that simple.
No you dont. It's obvious that your contributions to this site are limited to "rah rah" MrFedEx and X bashing. Anything of any substance is beyond you.